What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 11 vs Gold Coast @ McDonald Jones Stadium, New Lambton / Awabakal

Who will win? Round 11: Newcastle v Gold Coast

• Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Gold Coast Titans 1-12

• Gold Coast Titans 13+

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yosh

Coach
Great win from the lads. Fantastic showing after some negative press during the Bye.

We looked a totally different side once Gamble came on. Would be first name on the team sheet regardless of what position he plays or whether he starts or comes off the bench. If he is coming off the bench I would like to see him play at least 60 minutes a game. He is the glue that holds our team together. The attacking structure we are able to produce when he is on the field is vastly superior than whatever we dish up with him off it.

Our line speed was fantastic today. We let in some weird tries but loved the line speed and enthusiasm to come smash the Titans in their own half. Best's second try was all effort and enthusiasm by Hastings and Ponga. Both Frizzell and Fitzgibbon were outstanding today. If they can keep playing like that I would be more than happy to see them resign with the club.

Crossland isn't the answer at hooker but he was good again today. Not perfect but was impressed with his performance, especially his defense. I don't know why we brought in Elliot and Heighington but hopefully they start adding some value in games.

Ponga is a special player. Has all the ability in the world. Great game from the lad. Should pass his captaincy over to Gamble.

Very happy to see us score so many tries and smash the opposition with our line speed. Would like to see us concede less than 5 tries a game though.

Apey

Staff member
We were very average in the first half but it's nice to put a score on a team that's around our level and usually embarrasses us.

You like watching us play like 80 year old men for 40-50 minutes before we start playing footy?
Yeah, that's what I said 🙄

No mate, what I mean is he comes on and adds a point of difference that's not there in the early stages. He plays from minute 1 when teams are fresh and he's nowhere near as effective. For him to be in the 13 we would need to push a middle forward to the bench and expect Tyson to defend in the middle.

Can't see that being all that effective

Woody90

Juniors
Yeah, im not sure Gamble would have been able to bring the energy he did had have he been out there defending for the opening exchanges.

I wouldn’t change the team next week. Let them try and build some momentum. If we’re really struggle then maybe look at bringing him into the starting side.

For the slow start we still managed 46 points.

Apey

Staff member
Our ball movement is just much better with all three on the field. Gamble is better at being a link man than KP, which you still need to do as 5/8, and it lets KP run more and do the fancy stuff.

We'll persist as it is though.

perverse

Referee
Yeah, that's what I said 🙄

No mate, what I mean is he comes on and adds a point of difference that's not there in the early stages. He plays from minute 1 when teams are fresh and he's nowhere near as effective. For him to be in the 13 we would need to push a middle forward to the bench and expect Tyson to defend in the middle.

Can't see that being all that effective
What do you mean he's nowhere near as effective? Literally all our best games this year have been with him starting.

I'm not suggesting playing him in the 13. f**k Miller off, he's a net negative. Nearly everything good we did today went Hastings -> Gamble -> Ponga or Gamble -> Hastings -> Ponga.

mozza91

Coach
Poor 1st half but the 2nd half was what we were doing for the best part of the first 7 Rounds combined with Ponga’s polish.

Defence was an issue obviously again but f**k it was nice to put a good score on.

Gamble was brilliant off the bench too. He hadn’t been on the field for 2 seconds before he was barking orders and our attack was brilliant as soon as he got out there.

Has to be said once again how getting Marzhew for Randall was a great trade for us. Can make an error but his play 2 and 3 carries are a momentum changer and I didn’t see Randall at all outside of him trying to hump Hastings after 1 of his kicks in the 1st half.

Woody90

Juniors
I think today in the second half we played like we were hoping for the Eels game.

We kept our same attacking structures and Ponga just chimed in when something was on and offered another point of attack and class. I love that big shift we do where most of the team are involved.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Starting with a bigger 13 to take the brunt and sting of the game for 15 minutes before bringing Gamble on could also work.
If the plan is to bring Gamble on off the bench it's got to be a lot earlier than today.
The issue we have with Gamble at 14, coming on after 20 as a ball playing lock, is O’Brien’s complete inability to manage the interchange.

It makes perfect sense, otherwise.

Rotate the 5 middles across the front row with shorter spells, bigger impact (you would hope).

perverse

Referee
I think today in the second half we played like we were hoping for the Eels game.

We kept our same attacking structures and Ponga just chimed in when something was on and offered another point of attack and class. I love that big shift we do where most of the team are involved.
Kalyn did exactly what we need from him (with the ball in hand) today. He's still most effective when he's receiving the ball 3rd off the ruck, though.

What do you mean he's nowhere near as effective? Literally all our best games this year have been with him starting.

I'm not suggesting playing him in the 13. f**k Miller off, he's a net negative. Nearly everything good we did today went Hastings -> Gamble -> Ponga or Gamble -> Hastings -> Ponga.
I think you're throwing the baby out with the bath water here bro

Miller has slid a bit but he does the things we don't need Kayln worrying about and it's starting to work. Gamble needs to come on a bit earlier but I think the formula is nearly right

perverse

Referee
I think you're throwing the baby out with the bath water here bro

Miller has slid a bit but he does the things we don't need Kayln worrying about and it's starting to work. Gamble needs to come on a bit earlier but I think the formula is nearly right
Perhaps, I just don't seem to find playing our best talker, organiser and spark plug from the bench a good option when we have a fullback that costs us 2-3 tries a week and has all but stopped doing the good stuff for a month now too.

There's also the other dimension of things where AOB has never seemed to grasp how to use his bench effectively, too.