What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 21 vs Eels @ Bankwest Stadium

Who will win? Round 21: Eels v Knights

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swarzey

Bench
We need someone who can offload. Tonight demonstrated that we have 5 blokes who can run and take the tackle. Klem does that better than the rest of them.

Is that what we need to tie up $800K a year of salary cap with?

5 hit ups, a kick and hoping the opposition makes a mistake isn’t working. That’s on the coach sure, but it’s absolutely on our leaders to be able to change if something doesn’t work.

No, we have $800k a year tied up in a player who for the last 50+ games of his career has consistently averaged 100+ meters, something that rarely the rest of our props have managed this year. We have $800k a year in an Australian representative front rower who is statistically one of - if not - the very best in his position. We have $800k a year in someone who is doing significantly more than the rest of the props on the field, on the bench, in Cup, anywhere. Yes, adding an offload would be nice but thinking that somehow we're not getting our value out of Klemmer DESPITE what he already offers in his consistency, is legitimately clutching at straws for a complaint.

We are LAST in meters gained despite having at least one forward consistently making over 100+ meters and that's usually 150-200, even more. What do you think that says about the rest of our pack?

Don't think about it, I'll answer it: They're f**king pathetic. Instead of offering Daniel Saifiti an upgrade, how about we get someone who is going to reliably offer more than what? 10 runs for 80 meters? That's about his average right now. The idea that Klemmer isn't earning his worth is just about the most laughable idea that I've heard.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
We need someone dynamic in the back row with an offload and a bit of footwork. Fitz runs a good line but doesn’t have much else and apart from the occasional effort play Barnett is pretty one dimensional. We need someone who can skittle defenders and throw an offload in traffic.

While Barnett had a couple of really good touches tonight he’s not a starting NRL second rower unfortunately, repeatedly gets cut down by the first defender and doesn’t hit the gap.

TBH our whole forward pack offers virtually nothing. We get a few quick play the balls here and there but we just don’t look like we’re going to create any sort of threat from it. We need to isolate defenders and get guys poking through the line and looking to get an arm free.

Our two biggest recruitment targets right now need to be a dynamic back rower/lock and a consistent 5/8. Third on the list should be an outside back so we’re not relying on Mann to fill the wing position when there’s an injury.

Knight Vision

First Grade
It was yet more poor game management from Pearce.

It's not just his personal stats ( which are woeful ) - everyone's talking about 1 out footy ? No creativity ? He is the creator , the organizer, the man in charge of HIS team. He's the general, the man who's supposed to be screaming at his pawns for a play, switching it up, getting in position and those around him ready for what he sees ahead.

Make no mistake - our good run was on the back of Pearce as is the place we now find ourselves.

If Brown continues to put all his eggs in the Pearce basket he will be gooooone. Clear the decks of some average players on too much and get a good playmaker alongside Pearce.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Fitz runs a good line but doesn’t have much else
A man that somehow avoids scrutiny. He offers very little accept inside the opposition 20. Unfortunately the game is played on the full length of the field and there is a thing called defense as well as attack. He offers little in the way of hit ups and low run mtrs for a man thats on our preferred attacking side. little in the way of D. Often he is a player no one notices because he often has little involvement in the game or its outcome. .

Knight Vision

First Grade
Should ditch Lino for the rest of the year and give Hoy or Crossland the 6. Get them ready to partner Pearce in 2020 and to takeover from him in 2021.
agree with this. If we can salvage something from the wreckage it may be to prepare Crossland for the role in 2020.....I'd prefer to go after a blue chip playmaker though.

Alex28

Coach
Anyone faulting Klemmer hasn’t got a clue.
Meh. Agree to disagree. He needs to be less one dimensional.

If we had 5 of him, we’d end up 20 or 30 metres further up the field but still no offloads and still no clue what to do on the last.

slotmachine

First Grade
Don't think about it, I'll answer it: They're f**king pathetic. Instead of offering Daniel Saifiti an upgrade, how about we get someone who is going to reliably offer more than what? 10 runs for 80 meters? That's about his average right now. The idea that Klemmer isn't earning his worth is just about the most laughable idea that I've heard.

2019 Averages

Klemmer 178m
Dan 92m
Herman 80m
Glasby 75m
Gavet 72m
King 49m
Sione (playing middle) 46m

f**king lol, now it's klemmers responsibility for 5th tackle options? Dig up.

Old dog

Bench
The problem with those players/stats is that the ball dies with them due to no offloads, 4-5 runs out of goal line might get you some metres but one out makes easy targets and easy reads for defence, we have to change that.

Knight Vision

First Grade

If we had 5 of him, we’d end up 20 or 30 metres further up the field but still no offloads and still no clue what to do on the last.
if we had 5 of him we would be missing almost no tackles and a Klemmer run on the back of a Klemmer run on the back of a Klemmer run .......on the back of another Klemmer run we would be on their try line

Loose Cannon

Bench

Klemmer has offered a few offloads in recent weeks. Billy Slater would have scored 3 tries as a result.

He even played second receiver a couple of plays. Best 6 we have available. Ridiculous but cleaner than Watson with the passing, and other options. Watch it back.

He will walk, as Ponga will. Too good for this club, (Ponga awful tonight).

5th Tackle plays are Pearce’s realm. Fault lies with him alone.

perverse

Referee
A man that somehow avoids scrutiny. He offers very little accept inside the opposition 20. Unfortunately the game is played on the full length of the field and there is a thing called defense as well as attack. He offers little in the way of hit ups and low run mtrs for a man thats on our preferred attacking side. little in the way of D. Often he is a player no one notices because he often has little involvement in the game or its outcome. .
I mentioned this last week to a pretty frosty reception, but I agree with you. He had a hot run of form when Ponga got here, and nothing since the opposition figured that play out.

aqua_duck

Coach
I think people obviously don't understand the role of metre eating props like Klemmer, firstly Klemmer always takes the 1st, 2nd or 3rd hit up in a set, those are the big boy hit ups inside your own 20 with the defence rushing up, it's not exactly the place where you want the team to be pushing offloads, secondly he is always attracting 3-4 tacklers, it's not like he's getting put away one on one, thirdly he's averaging more offloads per game then Vaughan, Haas, Papalii, Graham, Lodge, etc so at some point I think you have to realise those type of big metre eating props, their primary job is to get the side up the park. Our issue is we don't have others to compliment Klemmer. I mean as indicated above, we do not have another genuine metre eater in the side, my questions what are those players actually bringing to the table as their strengths?

Latest posts