What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 7 vs Penrith @ Carrington Park, Bathurst / Wiradjuri

Who will win? Round 7: Penrith v Wests Tigers

• Penrith Panthers 13+

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Penrith Panthers 1-12

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wests Tigers 1-12

• Wests Tigers 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WA Tiger

Bench
I'm ok with that result. At least we put in a hard, decent effort right from the start.

Bateman was great in an unfamiliar role. He created more opportunities than the rest of the team combined.

Staines had an afternoon to forget and I'd be surprised if he wasn't shaking hands with the reserve grade coach this week. We need to give our reserve grade wingers a crack.

Our execution, especially in the red zone, is very poor. We don't show any type of shape that even resembles first grade. Too many hit ups when we should be spinning it wide. We may as well put on any plays from 40 metres out or further as that's when we look most dangerous.

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if came last for points scored.
I agree except that long pass from Staines was a breath of fresh air .someone actually trying something different to upset the panthers rhythm…and his catch turn and pass back to bulla..showed courage and skill ..Bravo..I’d keep him for a bit just for that . More of that attitude could have changed the score more in our favour

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
I think Benjis got Bulla thinking hes in line for origin ..He never looks at what possibility’s there are outside him to get an early ball away.. every time he thinks he’s going to run the length of the field..and at the very last second he may look at the passing option (most times not tho,) but it’s too late resulting in a nothing pass..he did it last week too..he’s turning into a liability

WA Tiger

Bench
Hold a grudge much. Every game has calls that go against, Tigers aren’t up to good opponents who can tackle. Better luck in next years GF.
You’re team won and that’s that all you’ve got? Youre the one that seems to “hold a grudge much” A Penalty try wouldn’t have been more shocking than some calls I’ve seen.

Pezz70

Juniors
I agree except that long pass from Staines was a breath of fresh air .someone actually trying something different to upset the panthers rhythm…and his catch turn and pass back to bulla..showed courage and skill ..Bravo..I’d keep him for a bit just for that . More of that attitude could have changed the score more in our favour
That long pass was stupid, absolute shit, high risk play for virtually no advantage, there’s a principle that says don’t pass the ball unless the player receiving will gain a greater advantage then the carrier.
You start playing footy like that you’re in for a whipping 99 games out of 100. This is the sort of thing that has killed the tigers for years - low percentage brain fade footy, it generally ends up as a mistake at a crucial moment or a penalty. We get this shit out of our game we’re very competitive.

I think Benji’s going too hard on the early shift, I said it last week. I think it’s costing us games, it’s a couple of times a game play and we’re are doing it way too much. The wide shift generally only works when the defensive line is staggered or the defence are on the back foot. Against the top teams like Penrith, Melbourne, Brisbane the kick returns are generally met with a fairly consistent defensive line. Of course there are always the odd exception but it’s so rare that your better off keeping it in the closet until the time is right, not doing it as a planned attack - leave it for the ‘eyes up’ footy.

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
That long pass was stupid, absolute shit, high risk play for virtually no advantage, there’s a principle that says don’t pass the ball unless the player receiving will gain a greater advantage then the carrier.
You start playing footy like that you’re in for a whipping 99 games out of 100. This is the sort of thing that has killed the tigers for years - low percentage brain fade footy, it generally ends up as a mistake at a crucial moment or a penalty. We get this shit out of our game we’re very competitive.

I think Benji’s going too hard on the early shift, I said it last week. I think it’s costing us games, it’s a couple of times a game play and we’re are doing it way too much. The wide shift generally only works when the defensive line is staggered or the defence are on the back foot. Against the top teams like Penrith, Melbourne, Brisbane the kick returns are generally met with a fairly consistent defensive line. Of course there are always the odd exception but it’s so rare that your better off keeping it in the closet until the time is right, not doing it as a planned attack - leave it for the ‘eyes up’ footy.
Ofcourse if there was a chance we could win but at that point the way most of the team were playing ( but not all), there was not..I liked it esp as it was pinpoint

From Pezz:
“there’s a principle that says don’t pass the ball unless the player receiving will gain a greater advantage then the carrier.”

From WA
“Bulla caught the ball so there will be no advantage because Bulla never passes the ball. If he had of been awake and looked outside just once during the game including this time maybe there could have been. There was nothing to lose. But no he just takes the tackle.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
.....I’ll make a bold prediction and say if we keep anything close to our best team on the park for the large majority of the rest of the season we will get into double figures in the win column
That's just it isn't it Pezz. Consistency comes from consistent team selections.
The more your best team stays together they win together.
I'll re-emphasize it again that it wasn't our shapes that were all wrong [except for a couple if brain farts] it was the lack of variety.
That will come, like you say, when they play more games together, become accustomed to each others play.
I'm seeing glimpses of a bloody good team so that's progress compared to previous years.

P.S. top form club Canberra are being belted 28-0 at halftime so it happens to to best of em :)

WA Tiger

Bench
I liked the comment on foxtel “Api and I think he mentioned Sezer are playing ok but now the players have to play together”

Pezz70

Juniors
I thought Sezer wasn’t quite up to today’s game but when he picked up the ball and was gonna make us 50m and the ref called it a knock on, man I was spewing. It was a shocker that call. One of a few today that didn’t make sense, the ankle tap one was quite unbelievable, Schneider puts up the kick that led to Panthers first try the next time panthers get the ball, where I believe Liam Martin should’ve been penalised as a disrupter

Pezz70

Juniors
Ofcourse if there was a chance we could win but at that point the way most of the team were playing ( but not all), there was not..I liked it esp as it was pinpoint

From Pezz:
“there’s a principle that says don’t pass the ball unless the player receiving will gain a greater advantage then the carrier.”

From WA
“Bulla caught the ball so there will be no advantage because Bulla never passes the ball. If he had of been awake and looked outside just once during the game including this time maybe there could have been. There was nothing to lose. But no he just takes the tackle.
I can sort of see the point you’re making, and creativity and play outside the box has its place, but after watching, playing and coaching kids for 40odd years I’ve come to the conclusion that the fancy stuff only works when you get the basics right, you have to earn the right to play fancy footy and take chances off the back of good solid footy. I think one of the commentators made another point in a similar vain today where he said when you play good footy the ball tends to stick when you take a chance, or something like that

WA Tiger

Bench
I can sort of see the point you’re making, and creativity and play outside the box has its place, but after watching, playing and coaching kids for 40odd years I’ve come to the conclusion that the fancy stuff only works when you get the basics right, you have to earn the right to play fancy footy and take chances off the back of good solid footy. I think one of the commentators made another point in a similar vain today where he said when you play good footy the ball tends to stick when you take a chance, or something like that
Yea that was when Fainu’s magic offload didn’t stick for Olam..that happend a couple of times.. I don’t know why the receiver can’t hold back untill they see the pass coming..No points for sprinting passed the ball carrier with no ball..or just not expecting an offload ..that happend a couple of times too one from Stefano..If Fainu or Stefano has the ball in future expect an offload. Those 2 champs will put up with that only for so long

Last edited:

simmo1

First Grade
Penrith were there for the taking today and another two points goes begging. Our attack is as disjointed as ever, relying mainly on rookies to provide any sort of spark. Weren't Benji (and Sheens) going to bring back the 2005 attacking flair?

Fordy20

Juniors
Hold a grudge much. Every game has calls that go against, Tigers aren’t up to good opponents who can tackle. Better luck in next years GF.

That's the benefit of consistently being a top side. You get the rub of the green regularly, particularly against the lower ranked sides. There was a couple of howlers in this one. Brad not being marched and the Sezer knock on were particularly egregious, but that's got nothing to do with your blokes. In order for our lads to be a premiership threat, they have to be able to overcome the opposition in spite of dodgy calls.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
From Fox NRL stats
RM
Bula-181…………. Edwards-211
Bateman-135
Olam-134
Naden-134
Tackles
Papi-46………… Kenny-40
Api-37
Pole-28
KM
Gal315…………….Schneider-437
Sez-313
PCM
Sa F-57…………… To’o-83
Naden-49
Olam-48
Runs
Bula-22…………… Edwards-23
Olam-18
Naden-18

Tigerm

First Grade
From Fox NRL stats
RM
Bula-181…………. Edwards-211
Bateman-135
Olam-134
Naden-134
Tackles
Papi-46………… Kenny-40
Api-37
Pole-28
KM
Gal315…………….Schneider-437
Sez-313
PCM
Sa F-57…………… To’o-83
Naden-49
Olam-48
Runs
Bula-22…………… Edwards-23
Olam-18
Naden-18
I thought Naden played well for his first game in a long while.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Penrith were there for the taking today and another two points goes begging. Our attack is as disjointed as ever, relying mainly on rookies to provide any sort of spark.

Agree. Yea the non sin bin was diabolical however we still had enough ball to win that game. At 10-6 down it felt like we were camped on their line and didn’t look like scoring. Our attacking structure is diabolical. We have no set back line moves, there’s a reason after 6 rounds we have 1 winger try, they never get the ball in the 20. Galvin put a great grubber in in the first few mins, then I didn’t see another one the rest of the game?

Sezer will likely miss next week, Tupou injured and have a couple of others on report too. We can’t catch a break with missing players. Brisbane get Haas, Reynolds and Pikira back lol they will do a number on us.

Wizardman

First Grade
Strange game.

Penrith were certainly not at their best but still showed they were professional and did the crucial processes need to win a game when not playing well.

Fans need to stop f**king blaming the ref for our teams shortcomings. If the ref got every call right, we very likely not score a point today as we were the beneficiaries of a bad call against Penrith in our try.

We did not lose due to the referees. We had every chance to make it a lot closer than what it was as we had plenty of ball.

Im always disappointed by a loss...but I was not devastated like I normally am. In general, we are getting better as a footy side, regardless of our ladder position. We are staying in games a lot longer and the boys did play for 80 minutes today in terms of effort.