What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs Cowboys @ 1300SMILES Stadium

Who will win? Round 8: Cowboys v Knights

• North Queensland Cowboys 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

• Newcastle Knights 13+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pedge1971

First Grade
Yes. Pretty sure it will all come together with time and experience.

Lamb, Levi, Sione, J Saifiti, D Saifiti, Stone, Yates are all how old?

I genuinely hope so mate. But think they need a mature hard headed leader to help them take the step. It is there. I really think both kids lifted to the challenge of playing Taumalolo tonight. Best game this year.

Spot On

Coach
I genuinely hope so mate. But think they need a mature hard headed leader to help them take the step. It is there. I really think both kids lifted to the challenge of playing Taumalolo tonight. Best game this year.

Absolutely no doubt and the coach knows that. Everyone does.

Great thing is we have $$$$ which is better than having none. Just can't spend it. Ha.

Will we have an extra 600K by next year as well?

Knight76

Juniors
They went in at half time and I'm thinking we just have to win the second half. We won the penalty count in the second and frustratingly, destroyed any chance we had at the win with stupid errors, stupid penalties and ridiculous kicking decisions.

Lamb needs to be told not to bomb the ball freaking ever unless we are at their 30m line. If ever as nobody ever runs in to contest it.

Levi needs to be told never to try to barge over from dummy half unless their is a huge hole there. All he does is waste one tackle, usually the 4th and suddenly we are at the 5th. Low percentage stuff.

Hodkinsons should never play for us again. Sione didn't bring anything to the half role, but Hodkinson sure doesn't. Start Feeney there next week. We may not win, but at least we will have two halves in the mix.

Geez it's tough being a Knights fan but again, proud of the effort, just not the execution.

Give us 2 decent, consistent props and a quality half and we are a changed side.

Glendale

Juniors
Ok... So we went over the decision drop Hodkinson before he match started. But that was totally dumbfounding when Sione spent the whole game at halfback. I thought it was a game plan to start him there to strengthen the defence on Hess early in the match. But playing him there the whole match whilst leaving Feeney on the bench makes no sense. Why even drop Hodkinson if that was his plan?

Pedge1971

First Grade
Also. If we had Ponga in our team tonight... I reckon we win. Commitment wise I think our team is playing better then Tigers and Penrith. We just lack that class player or two to break the f**king game open for us.

I'd be way more pissed as a supporter of a team like Penrith or Tigers who have great rosters, some real talent and still not execute........ A little like I was a few years ago when we had the talent, but wouldn't comit mentally. Ha.

Man.. Mentally this team this year is actually impressive. They're dogged. I just hope for their sake, they get rewarded for it in due time.
They went in at half time and I'm thinking we just have to win the second half. We won the penalty count in the second and frustratingly, destroyed any chance we had at the win with stupid errors, stupid penalties and ridiculous kicking decisions.

Lamb needs to be told not to bomb the ball freaking ever unless we are at their 30m line. If ever as nobody ever runs in to contest it.

Levi needs to be told never to try to barge over from dummy half unless their is a huge hole there. All he does is waste one tackle, usually the 4th and suddenly we are at the 5th. Low percentage stuff.

Hodkinsons should never play for us again. Sione didn't bring anything to the half role, but Hodkinson sure doesn't. Start Feeney there next week. We may not win, but at least we will have two halves in the mix.

Geez it's tough being a Knights fan but again, proud of the effort, just not the execution.

Give us 2 decent, consistent props and a quality half and we are a changed side.

Said it all along. Why pick Feeney to sit 50 mins on the pine. Then come on at hooker ffs.

To be fair we gained a lot defensively with Sione there but were never going to win the game.

Glendale

Juniors
Said it all along. Why pick Feeney to sit 50 mins on the pine. Then come on at hooker ffs.

To be fair we gained a lot defensively with Sione there but were never going to win the game.

Wierd decision. Sione will never ever be a halfback, however he will make a good second rower. Feeney is a halfback and this was his chance to prove himself. Playing Sione at halfback for 80 is the weirdest coaching decision Brown has made at the club.

IMO Hodkinson needs to be back in the NRL side next week. He has played SOO and played in a grand final, getting dropped has got to light the fire in him. I agreed with the call to drop him, but it is ridiculous that Feeney didn't get a go at all to show what he had at halfback. Just dumbfounding, I can't get my head around it..

We have won 2 of our last 32 games, we have to pick the best 17 players we have available. And right now, Trent is the best number 7 at the club. Brown had a chance to show maybe he isn't, and we are better off without him, but he left it on the bench for 50 minutes.

The players most affected by this decision are Lamb and Levi, two 20 year olds trying to lead a bunch of Reserve graders around with absolutely no leadership around them. Bloody tough gig. Bring Hodkinson back, tell him to take control of the team like you're supposed to, or get dropped again.

Knight76

Juniors
Hodkinson has had plenty of chances to show he is capable of steering the team around the park, last year and this year. Dropping him for a week and then giving him the "Now, perform" talk isn't going to transform him.

I think what Brown was trying to do with trying Feeney from the bench, who lets face it wouldn't be getting chased by any other club if he were off contract, is to try him but without committing to him from the outset. See how the team go and if we aren't performing to move Sione from half and try Feeney there.

But come kick off, we were actually competing up until half time and went in leading. Now what does Brown do? We are in this with a chance so he doesn't want to make a big change like swapping the half back, so he subs Levi off and puts him to hooker.

Just a theory. It's not like we had a second hooker to replace Levi with. Brown doesn't have any plan for Randell.