What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs North Qld @ Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville / Wulgurukaba

Who will win? Round 8: North Qld v Newcastle

• North Queensland Cowboys 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Queensland Cowboys 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member

NRL 2023 - Round 8
North Queensland Cowboys v Newcastle Knights
Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville / Wulgurukaba, South Townsville (TICKETS)
Saturday 22 April 2023

Gates 6pm, NRL kicks off at 7:35pm. Broadcast live on Fox League and Kayo Sports.

NQL2023TEAM.png

1. Scott Drinkwater 2. Kyle Feldt 3. Valentine Holmes 4. Peta Hiku 5. Murray Taulagi 6. Tom Dearden 7. Chad Townsend 8. Jordan McLean 9. Reece Robson 10. Coen Hess 11. Jack Gosiewski 12. Jeremiah Nanai 13. Reuben Cotter 14. Tomas Chester 15. Jake Granville 16. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown 17. Mitchell Dunn 18. Riley Price 19. Ben Hampton 20. Brendan Elliot 21. Taniela Sadrugu 22. Kulikefu Finefeuiaki

Out: Jason Taumalolo (lock)
In: Jordan McLean (front row)
Changes: Jake Granville (front row to bench), Reuben Cotter (bench to lock)

NEW2022TEAM.png

1. Lachlan Miller 2. Dominic Young 3. Dane Gagai 4. Bradman Best 5. Greg Marzhew 6. Kalyn Ponga 7. Jackson Hastings 8. Daniel Saifiti 9. Phoenix Crossland 10. Leo Thompson 11. Tyson Frizell 12. Lachlan Fitzgibbon 13. Kurt Mann 14. Tyson Gamble 15. Jacob Saifiti 16. Mathew Croker 17. Jack Hetherington 18. Simi Sasagi 19. Hymel Hunt 20. Jack Johns 21. Dylan Lucas 22. Adam Clune

Out: Jack Johns (bench), Brodie Jones (bench)
In: Kalyn Ponga (five-eighth), Jacob Saifiti (bench)
Changes: Tyson Gamble (five-eighth to bench), Mat Croker (lock to bench), Kurt Mann (bench to lock)

A-REF-Y-2022TEAM.png

Referee: Ben Cummins
Sideline Officials: Darian Furner, Phil Henderson
Video Referee: Grant Atkins

LOWER GRADES
Mackay^ v Norths at BB Print, Sat - Colts 10:55am / QLD Cup 3pm
Wynnum v Northern^ at BMD Kougari, Sat - Colts 1pm / QLD Cup 3pm
Townsville^ v Tweed at Jack Manski, Sun - Colts 11am / QLD Cup 1pm

Melbourne v Newcastle^ at Comely Banks, Sat - Flegg 2pm
North Sydney v Newcastle^ at NSO, Sun - NSW Cup 3pm​

Last edited:

ryan.a87

Juniors
Predicting

miller
Young
Gagai
Marzew
Best

ponga
Hastings

dsaf
Crossland
Thompson

frizell
Fitz
Mann

Gamble
Croker
Jsaf
Hetherington

Apey

Staff member
We should win based on current form but I haven't tipped us once this year and I don't think that will change for this game.

Rod

Bench
The Cowboys looked truly horrendous against the Warriors. Of course that combined with us looking so solid means we are all set up for a let down.

J Saifiti and hopefully Ponga back helps.

Old dog

Juniors
A win here, and possibly the following with a then buy would put us in a very good place, not tipping either but next couple with Ponga and JSaf back has me hopeful.

Apey

Staff member
Don't worry, in June we play Broncos, Roosters and Panthers in a row to bring us back down to Earth if we aren't there by that stage. Although Origin is between the Roosters and Panthers.

Yosh

Coach
Looking back if we had gotten the win against Manly and drew against Penrith, win next week and perhaps even snag a win against Parra, and we would have been top 4 going into our first bye. Still what a tremendous season it's been so far!

Zoidberg

First Grade
We are outsiders in betting.
Are we all just delusional with how well we think we are going?

perverse

Referee
No-one is sure yet. As well as we seem to be going, would anyone be surprised if we went on a 5 game losing streak?

We haven't proven anything yet. If we actually dominate a team in a game or two then people will turn around and take us seriously. Just being "competitive" every game seems impressive to us given where we've been, but to others it's a bunch of battlers playing above their weight at the moment.

Apey

Staff member
We are still near the bottom for stuff like top 8 finishes and the reverse for least wins. Nobody trusts us yet and for good reason if you ask me, haha.

Short answer? Yes, we are a bit but who could blame us given how awful the team went in 2022

This is the same Cowboys outfit who carved up the comp last year so they have " more runs on the board" than us so to speak so im not surprised the bookies have them ahead of us given the game is in Townsville

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
When did we last win a game in Townsville? I think it was 2015 if my memory serves me correctly, so almost a decade ago. Tough away trip coupled with the disappointment of losing that game in golden point, not to mention the fact that we’ve had a few really intense and close games in a row… I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the boys were a bit flat for this game.

I hope that’s not the case of course, if we continue to show the fight that we’ve shown all year then we’ll be right in this game. The cowboys haven’t looked good all year either so hopefully that continues.

Jono078

Referee
It's a weird one. We beat the Warriors last week and were minutes away from beating the Panthers.

The Warriors have since beaten the Cowboys and now they've also lost Taumalolo whilst we get Ponga and Jacob Saifiti back.

Based on that 2 weeks worth of form you'd say we're sure things.

Then you factor in the Cowboys being back at home and in desperate need of a win so they're not left behind and having to make a late run for the finals.

And our big question is will we be as good with Ponga returning? I mean you'd be crazy to think we wouldn't but he'll have his personal demons to overcome and will the team fall back to waiting for Ponga to make something happen? We're also coming off a tough game and making a big trip to humid conditions.

It's a super intriguing game and if we play as we have the past few weeks and even improve discipline by 10%, I'm sure we'll be able to come away with the 2 points.

Rod

Bench
It can take quite a lot to move bookies away from their original positions on a team. They still don't really rate the Dolphins or the Warriors either for example. And TBH, some of that is for good reason given the schedule so far this year has been pretty strange.

As already mentioned, the Cowboys have the runs on the board going back to last year and we don't (yet).

Old dog

Juniors
Question, assuming Ponga starts and assuming he and team not going well say 10 out from halftime does the Coach replace him with Gamble or leaves him on in hope it will all come good