What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs North Qld @ Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Townsville / Wulgurukaba

Who will win? Round 8: North Qld v Newcastle

• North Queensland Cowboys 13+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Queensland Cowboys 1-12

• Draw after Golden Point

• Newcastle Knights 1-12

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Newcastle Knights 13+

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Knight Tales

Juniors
Gamble should be 13. That is all.
Absolutely. We have forwards in form like Croker too, while you would think Elliott’s return will be from the bench. Our bench is starting to look the goods which I never anticipated this early in the year.

Last edited:

Old dog

Juniors
Don’t understand the 13 selection, surely better to start with strong pack, Croker 13, then start rotating pack after 20 or so mins. Mann should be used to cover Crosslands need for a break or backline injuries. 20mins should be enough time to assess how Ponga is, if ok then Gamble to 13

Woody90

Juniors
I probably would have gone for Gamble at 13 and Mann at 14 but I also admit I don't know enough about Gamble to know whether he could defend in the middle for a full game...wouldn't be surprised if the positions are shuffled around before kick off anyway.

I don't have the greatest feeling about this game - we never play well in Townsville and between the game last week and the humidity I could see us being a bit flat. Also some changes to the spine with Ponga coming back which we might need some time to adjust too, and this is about a must-win for the Cows so they will aim up. Saying that though I hope it's my "I've supported the Knights for too long" negativity making me think this is a danger game and we actually go on to win comfortably (which form would suggest we should).

Jono078

Referee
I don't have the greatest feeling about this game - we never play well in Townsville and between the game last week and the humidity I could see us being a bit flat. Also some changes to the spine with Ponga coming back which we might need some time to adjust too, and this is about a must-win for the Cows so they will aim up. Saying that though I hope it's my "I've supported the Knights for too long" negativity making me think this is a danger game and we actually go on to win comfortably (which form would suggest we should).
To be fair, you could say that about any venue, because we haven't played well for 10 years haha. Definitely can relate to what you're saying though!

Does anyone else have a nervous energy about this game?

I almost feel like we're going into a sudden death finals game. I think mostly because it's Ponga's return and I want it to be a roaring success. Hopefully like Joey's NSW Origin return in 2005. I want that kind of euphoria.

perverse

Referee
To be fair, you could say that about any venue, because we haven't played well for 10 years haha. Definitely can relate to what you're saying though!

I almost feel like we're going into a sudden death finals game. I think mostly because it's Ponga's return and I want it to be a roaring success. Hopefully like Joey's NSW Origin return in 2005. I want that kind of euphoria.
I'm not too worried. It's still early enough in the season that things can be ironed out. If we keep the fight in us that we've had, we'll be alright. I'd love to see us make a statement, but I still don't really know where we're at yet. Ahead of last year, certainly.

Jono078

Referee
Geez I think Hastings speaks well. Wouldn't be surprised if he were in a captains role within 12 months.

Perhaps some concerning insight into his leg injury. Not that it's completely hampered him so far, but it seems he will forever be limited by it.

perverse

Referee
Geez I think Hastings speaks well. Wouldn't be surprised if he were in a captains role within 12 months.

Perhaps some concerning insight into his leg injury. Not that it's completely hampered him so far, but it seems he will forever be limited by it.

Yeah, I really hope he has turned a corner as a man and is as he appears to be. He certainly says all the things you want to hear. Like all things with our club, I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop and him to have a falling out with someone or something.

If we get the most stable years of his career then he could be here for another very happy 5 or 6 years of good footy. I like the bloke from everything we get to see. He's never going to be a star NSW half or anything like that, but he has really solid fundamentals of what it is to be a halfback and is a great competitor. I'd honestly be absolutely filthy if i was a Tigers fan, their admin are just doing them dirty.

Last edited:

I actually feel the same relaxed feeling I've had for the past few weeks. I reckon we'll win and win well

Yosh

Coach

Wow he is super well spoken. I would vote for him if he ran for PM!

We'll win this. Last week I watched live but week before I was working at the Speedway.
This week I'll be working again and just check the score when I can. I'm a jinx.

PhilGould

Bench
Newcastle coach Adam O’Brien is mourning the passing of his mum Maree who died on Thursday morning.

Privately O’Brien has been dealing with the family heartache since the start of the NRL season as he balanced caring for his mother while ensuring his Newcastle started the season strongly.

O’Brien stayed by Maree’s hospital bedside this week and did not travel with the Knights squad who left for Townsville on Thursday.

He will re-join the side on Saturday and take his place in the coaches’ box ahead of their clash against the Cowboys with the Newcastle side to wear black armbands in honour of his mother.

Maree was a mad rugby league fan who developed a soft spot for O’Brien’s former club Melbourne but turned into a Newcastle tragic and naturally a fierce supporter of O’Brien’s.

O’Brien along with his wife Sharyn, sister Lisa and brother in-law Ben were a constant at hospital.

Maree – who adored her grandchildren Lilly and Kai – had complications after being diagnosed with a brain tumour just before the start of the season. Her health slowly deteriorated in recent weeks but still fought with every last inch. O’Brien had his mother relocate with him to Newcastle but Maree’s worsening condition meant she was transferred to Royal North Shore Hospital in recent weeks.

O’Brien rushed between his coaching commitments and his mother’s hospital bedside travelling between Sydney and Newcastle almost daily. Last Saturday he gave what he thought was going to be his final farewell to Maree before returning to Newcastle to take charge of his team to play the Panthers. She watched the game alongside close family as the Knights produced one of their best performances in recent seasons before going down to the defending premiers in golden point. O’Brien returned to Sydney on Sunday and spent his mother’s last few days with her.

While the wider rugby league community knew of O’Brien’s personal battle he was determined to stay focused on the Knights.

He has maintained his Newcastle commitments with the playing group and coaching staff throwing their support behind the coach.

ryan.a87

Juniors
Just saw on twitter that ponga is starting from the bench tonight….anyone have tooheys news to confirm?

Woody90

Juniors
Newcastle coach Adam O’Brien is mourning the passing of his mum Maree who died on Thursday morning.

Privately O’Brien has been dealing with the family heartache since the start of the NRL season as he balanced caring for his mother while ensuring his Newcastle started the season strongly.

O’Brien stayed by Maree’s hospital bedside this week and did not travel with the Knights squad who left for Townsville on Thursday.

He will re-join the side on Saturday and take his place in the coaches’ box ahead of their clash against the Cowboys with the Newcastle side to wear black armbands in honour of his mother.

Maree was a mad rugby league fan who developed a soft spot for O’Brien’s former club Melbourne but turned into a Newcastle tragic and naturally a fierce supporter of O’Brien’s.

O’Brien along with his wife Sharyn, sister Lisa and brother in-law Ben were a constant at hospital.

Maree – who adored her grandchildren Lilly and Kai – had complications after being diagnosed with a brain tumour just before the start of the season. Her health slowly deteriorated in recent weeks but still fought with every last inch. O’Brien had his mother relocate with him to Newcastle but Maree’s worsening condition meant she was transferred to Royal North Shore Hospital in recent weeks.

O’Brien rushed between his coaching commitments and his mother’s hospital bedside travelling between Sydney and Newcastle almost daily. Last Saturday he gave what he thought was going to be his final farewell to Maree before returning to Newcastle to take charge of his team to play the Panthers. She watched the game alongside close family as the Knights produced one of their best performances in recent seasons before going down to the defending premiers in golden point. O’Brien returned to Sydney on Sunday and spent his mother’s last few days with her.

While the wider rugby league community knew of O’Brien’s personal battle he was determined to stay focused on the Knights.

He has maintained his Newcastle commitments with the playing group and coaching staff throwing their support behind the coach.

Jeez that’s rough. I didn’t wasn’t even aware she was sick. I remember Hastings mentioned at the start of the year that AOB and his family were going though a lot…must have been referring to this.

Hope the boys can go out there, get a win and perform well so he has one less thing to worry about.

Yosh

Coach
The closer it gets to the game, the more nervous I am feeling. Not because I think we will lose but I'm very curious to see how Ponga will go in our new attack and defense. Coming off the bench is a good call. I've been very critical of Ponga the past couple of years but I must secretly be a huge fan still...

Woody90

Juniors
My biggest worry is KP copping another head knock tbh. Cows have come out and said they’re gonna target him. Bigger reason to use him more as a decoy.
Love or hate him, I can’t see any NRL fan wanting to see him cop another head knock.

Burwood

Bench
The Cowboys said they will target him in defence, which is fair play- they'd be crazy not to.