What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mathew Wade - Australias tough little nugget

2 weeks

Coach
The delusion is strong in this one.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/2d9f35ff7759dce27d9808c7e5c67b45

Matthew Wade says he was a ‘scapegoat’ for Bangladesh horror but will fight to save Ashes spot

UNDER-fire wicketkeeper Matt Wade feels he became a “scapegoat” for Australia’s problems in Bangladesh and has vowed to prove his Ashes worth.

Wade will make his debut behind the stumps for Tasmania on Tuesday at North Sydney Oval, and the Australian selectors have rubber-stamped a guarantee that he will also take the gloves ahead of the Tigers’ other international keeper Tim Paine for the all-important Sheffield Shield matches to come.

The writing is on the wall for Wade ahead of the first Test against England at the Gabba, after selectors toyed with the idea of promoting part-timer Peter Handscomb ahead of him in Bangladesh before ultimately making the call to dump him during the one-dayers in India.

Despite feeling he is in career-best form with the gloves, unless the 29-year-old can fire with the bat for Tasmania and turn around a run-drought, he appears to be dead man walking, with Peter Nevill circling.

A defiant Wade has declared the Test spot is still his to lose, and he admits to feeling harshly targeted, after his position was put under an intense microscope in the wake of Australia’s embarrassing first-ever loss to Bangladesh on a Dhaka wicket treacherous for keeping.

“That was the frustrating thing about being away. I was a bit of a scapegoat there after the first Test,” he said.

“When you are losing, people are looking for reasons why and I let through a few byes in the first innings — but it was only five or six more than the opposition keeper.

“It was a tough wicket to keep on that first Test but I still felt like I was taking chances and was moving really well.

“I felt confident and I got my rewards in the second Test. Over the last two years I’ve kept the best I have ever kept. That’s the positive thing about it all.

“Runs are going to be important, there’s no doubt about that.

“I’ve worked really hard at my game and I know my batting will come good. I’ve proven for long enough now over a long period of time that I will find a way to score runs and I’m confident I will do that.”

Ironically, current Australian T20 keeper Paine has also been mentioned as a potential Test contender, and the fact two of the four leading keepers in the country are playing for Tassie is a far from ideal conundrum for selectors with a potentially Ashes-shaping decision on their hands.

Family reasons have brought Wade back from Victoria to his home state and Tasmania have moved quickly to promise their prodigal son the opportunity they feel he deserves to save his Test spot.

“He’s definitely the first choice. Tim understands that, Wadey understands that,” Tasmania chief Nick Cummins said.

“His international Test career is well and truly alive and it’s going to be really important for him to perform in those Shield games so he will definitely be taking that spot.”

Selectors and Steve Smith have made it clear Wade’s keeping isn’t the problem, but that they can’t afford a No.7 who isn’t offering anything with the bat.

Ian Healy has questioned why the keeper — like Nevill before him — is once again being made to pay for the failings of the top order.

Wade said he will draw on the mental fortitude developed from the last time he was dropped from the Test side as he fights to save himself from the sharpening axe.

“I can’t really control the selectors or the captain or the coach, that’s really out of my control.”

undertaker

Coach
Looks like Gilly and Slats have gone in to bat for Nevill's inclusion in the Ashes squad:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricke...k=d33f67be1272eeac07c0c2e21ef7a01f-1507616019

The icing on the cake is if Warney comes out and publicly endorses whoever he wants, given the selectors have pretty much done whatever Warne has suggested in the media in the past. After all, Bryce McGain and Michael Beer can both thank Warne for their baggy green caps. If Warne comes out in favour of Wade, 99% odds on Wade will be selected.

undertaker

Coach
People in the media may talk about how Wade's test batting average is slightly better than Nevill's, but it's interesting to note that since Wade got back into the test team last year in the day/night test at Adelaide, his batting average has dropped 6 runs from 34.61 to 28.58, with only one fifty scored during that time at an average of 20.23 since his inclusion.

Simply not good enough for a #7, whose wicketkeeping has, on a whole, been sub-standard right from when he made his test debut back in 2012.

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
To be honest Nevill has a batting average far too low these days even for the best of keepers. He is first choice but we need more from him than last time with the bat.

Timbo

Staff member
The delusion is strong in this one.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/2d9f35ff7759dce27d9808c7e5c67b45

Matthew Wade says he was a ‘scapegoat’ for Bangladesh horror but will fight to save Ashes spot

UNDER-fire wicketkeeper Matt Wade feels he became a “scapegoat” for Australia’s problems in Bangladesh and has vowed to prove his Ashes worth.

Wade will make his debut behind the stumps for Tasmania on Tuesday at North Sydney Oval, and the Australian selectors have rubber-stamped a guarantee that he will also take the gloves ahead of the Tigers’ other international keeper Tim Paine for the all-important Sheffield Shield matches to come.

The writing is on the wall for Wade ahead of the first Test against England at the Gabba, after selectors toyed with the idea of promoting part-timer Peter Handscomb ahead of him in Bangladesh before ultimately making the call to dump him during the one-dayers in India.

Despite feeling he is in career-best form with the gloves, unless the 29-year-old can fire with the bat for Tasmania and turn around a run-drought, he appears to be dead man walking, with Peter Nevill circling.

A defiant Wade has declared the Test spot is still his to lose, and he admits to feeling harshly targeted, after his position was put under an intense microscope in the wake of Australia’s embarrassing first-ever loss to Bangladesh on a Dhaka wicket treacherous for keeping.

“That was the frustrating thing about being away. I was a bit of a scapegoat there after the first Test,” he said.

“When you are losing, people are looking for reasons why and I let through a few byes in the first innings — but it was only five or six more than the opposition keeper.

“It was a tough wicket to keep on that first Test but I still felt like I was taking chances and was moving really well.

“I felt confident and I got my rewards in the second Test. Over the last two years I’ve kept the best I have ever kept. That’s the positive thing about it all.

“Runs are going to be important, there’s no doubt about that.

“I’ve worked really hard at my game and I know my batting will come good. I’ve proven for long enough now over a long period of time that I will find a way to score runs and I’m confident I will do that.”

Ironically, current Australian T20 keeper Paine has also been mentioned as a potential Test contender, and the fact two of the four leading keepers in the country are playing for Tassie is a far from ideal conundrum for selectors with a potentially Ashes-shaping decision on their hands.

Family reasons have brought Wade back from Victoria to his home state and Tasmania have moved quickly to promise their prodigal son the opportunity they feel he deserves to save his Test spot.

“He’s definitely the first choice. Tim understands that, Wadey understands that,” Tasmania chief Nick Cummins said.

“His international Test career is well and truly alive and it’s going to be really important for him to perform in those Shield games so he will definitely be taking that spot.”

Selectors and Steve Smith have made it clear Wade’s keeping isn’t the problem, but that they can’t afford a No.7 who isn’t offering anything with the bat.

Ian Healy has questioned why the keeper — like Nevill before him — is once again being made to pay for the failings of the top order.

Wade said he will draw on the mental fortitude developed from the last time he was dropped from the Test side as he fights to save himself from the sharpening axe.

“I can’t really control the selectors or the captain or the coach, that’s really out of my control.”

The gall of the useless merkin.

You couldn't buy a run and and you conceded 5000 buys.

Scapegoat. Sure.

mozza91

Coach
Wade has sewn up his Test spot with an immaculate 40 odd in a JLT Cup match. I'm hearing he almost took a catch aswell.