What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Dufty

Carlton

Juniors
This is the problem with investing too heavily in "juniors". Bring them into first grade and let them have time to develop their game and then after taking the risks of blooding them you have to pay top dollar to keep them.

Skip the middle man and buy juniors who have already shown they are first grade ready and avoid the issue of them learning their trade on your time. Dufty has played a full year of first grade, is 22 and people are still saying give him time to improve his physicality and positioning and teams have worked out his attack.

Dufty is fast but he is a limited footballer and does not show the improvements needed. Just as an example, Cotrick was 18, playing first grade and physically in a different class to Dufty. He is also extremely dangerous in attack, can defend and has pace but coupled with size.

watatank

Coach
Agree with the general point made but I would imagine that if we were going to be competing with other clubs for juniors, that much like the top NRL players, we will miss out on them too. .

The extension of Dufty to 2019 so far looks about spot on. The rest is just negotiations between the club and player management, time will tell. Dufty has to continue to play well, regardless.

getsmarty

Immortal
dufty-m-20190316-877.jpg

DRAGONS

Bench life new territory for jack-in-the-box Dufty
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 20 Mar 2019, 06:00 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

Bench life isn't something St George Illawarra's Matt Dufty has had a whole lot of experience with before this season but he had plenty of time to think about it last Saturday night in the Dragons' loss in North Queensland.

The odd man out in Paul McGregor's spine, Dufty is the latest NRL speedster tasked with coming off the bench and providing a spark and a game-breaking play late in a game.

Dufty finally got on the paddock in the 67th minute, a trend set to continue as the Dragons remain patient with the Corey Norman-Ben Hunt-Gareth Widdop playmaking combination.

"If you watch, I went into the sheds about 30 times to go to the toilet because I kept sipping on water," Dufty said, when asked what the bench experience was like.

"When you see it from the sideline it's hard. It does make you hungrier to get on the field. I have trouble sitting still. I wasn't used to it.

"I keep trying to talk to all the boys. When the tired forwards come off they don't really want to talk so I just sit there doing my own thing.

"You want to yell out to the boys because that's what I do at fullback trying to direct people around."

It looks like you may be using adblocking software to view this site.

Many features on the site, such as video playback, may not work properly when using adblocking software.

Please whitelist our domain or disable your adblocker to access all features and videos.

Dragons' spinal surgery

Dufty is aware of the long-term road ahead and for that reason he isn't kicking stones.

Gareth Widdop's expected departure to the English Super League next year has softened the selection blow to an extent for the 23-year-old, who re-signed with the Red V in February on a deal that will keep him at the club through to the end of 2021.

"It's already been good mentally," Dufty said.

"I could've sat around, had my head down and had a sook but you've just got to appreciate being in an NRL team.

"Mary just says when I get on the field to score points or do whatever I have to do to get the team in the game.

"I've been trying to do that in the last couple of weeks. It's just been unlucky I've come on and we've been down by more than what I would've liked."

Dufty hoped the Dragons' faithful gave the new-look spine a chance to develop instead of passing judgement in the next month of action.

"For everyone else it probably looks like we don't know what's going on but when we come together it will be dangerous," he said.

"It's still a work in progress but we've got a world class spine and I think when we figure out how to make it work it will be a dangerous combination."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/20/bench-life-new-territory-for-jack-in-the-box-dufty/

getsmarty

Immortal
'I could have had a sook': Dufty upbeat with bench role
Adam PengillyMarch 20, 2019 — 8.00pm
  • Send via Email
St George Illawarra's livewire utility Matt Dufty admits he wouldn't have handled his reduced role on the interchange in the past.

Dufty, who looked a threat in his brief 13 minutes off the bench in the opening round loss to the Cowboys, has quietly accepted his new position after captain Gareth Widdop's switch to the No.1.

61e5763b90ebb9c3d4deba325f5fcbc4efd5800f

Head up: Matt Dufty.Credit:NRL Photos

But by his own admission he wouldn't have taken as well to coach Paul McGregor's move in previous years.

"I could've sat around, had my head down and had a sook but you've just got to appreciate being in an NRL team," Dufty said. "How many people get to play NRL every week and be in the 17?

"In previous years I probably would have had my head down, but I'm just loving being around the boys.

"Moving forward it will be good to try and cement that spot for the years coming forward. 'Mary' [McGregor] just says when I get on the field to score points or do whatever I have to do to get the team in the game.

I could've sat around, had my head down and had a sook but you've just got to appreciate being in an NRL team

Matt Dufty
"I've been trying to do that in the last couple of weeks. It's just been unlucky I've come on and we've been down by more than what I would've liked."

Having told his chief playmakers Ben Hunt, Corey Norman and Widdop they were too tentative with ball in hand against the Cowboys, McGregor is convinced he has pulled the right rein with the changes when Dufty comes on.

Dufty will again start from the bench when St George Illawarra host South Sydney at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium on Thursday night.

Risky business: Norman urges Dragons playmakers to push the boundaries
"There are always going to be criticisms when you don't win games of footy, and it's early in the year and everyone is looking for something," McGregor said.

"We're the closest to it, the guys know what they need to do ... with the ability of the three guys and their skill level and talent, they'll get it right.

"He [Dufty] certainly came at the game last week. That's what a player like Duft can do, when you get tired players on the football field he can stretch the line."

Cameron McInnes could spend increased time at lock forcing Widdop and Hunt to change positions earlier than in round one as the Dragons seek to cover for the loss of Tyson Frizell (ruptured testicle) and Jack de Belin (no-fault stand-down).

That is only going to please Dufty, who conceded watching from the bench for more than an hour wasn't a comfortable experience.

"If you watch, I went into the back end of the sheds about 30 times to go to the toilet because I kept sipping on water," Dufty said. "I wasn't used to it. I'm not very good at sitting still, it's a different experience.

"I keep trying to talk to all the boys. When the tired forwards come off they don't really want to talk so I just sit there doing my own thing. You want to yell out to the boys because that's what I do at fullback trying to direct people around. When you see it from the sideline it's hard. It does get you more hungry to get on the field.

"It's still a work in progress but we've got a world class spine and I think when we figure out how to make it work it will be a dangerous combination."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/nrl...-with-bench-role-20190320-p515nq.html?ref=rss

Old Timer

Coach
OK so now down to the nitty gritty.
How many things does he have to fix up and how much progress does he have to have made or indeed make on those issues and how many games does he have to do it in?
He has had a season plus an off season plus a full preseason and he is now 22.
IMO if he can't get under the high ball and catch it on the full or he can't tackle head on and shows no improvement in 3 games bingo off to CC and take all the coaching staff with him.
Positional & support play will come with game time but the others are mandatory if you want to play FB in the NRL.

Como Connection

First Grade
How many things does he have to fix up and how much progress does he have to have made or indeed make on those issues and how many games does he have to do it in?
IMO if he can't get under the high ball and catch it on the full or he can't tackle head on and shows no improvement in 3 games bingo off to CC and take all the coaching staff with him.
Positional & support play will come with game time but the others are mandatory if you want to play FB in the NRL.
What is Hornby doing about this we should ask if no improvement!
I guess the same with Aitken and McGregor.
CC

Dragonslayer

First Grade
His battle V Ponga will be a highlight of the game against Newcastle.

Both half cooked. Dufty playing 32 mins so far in 3 games, whilst Ponga has "bulked-up" somewhat for playing as a 5/8. Both will be down on confidence, but at least Dufty will be the more 'fresher" of the two, and that can work both ways as a positive and a negative.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

I think its mostly a confidence thing.
Time will tell.

TruSaint

Referee
Its in Dufty's hands now. I know many rate the kid as the next special FB, .. i am not convinced. "yet"

With the injury to Gaz, this window is there now for him to show that he can not only score from broken play, but do the ugly stuff fullbacks need to do. Diffuse bombs, cover in defence, read the play, return the ball with vigour and not sideways, support play, etc etc etc.

The good fullbacks cover all these facets.

For the sake of the team, I hope he steps up. Wish him well.

Como Connection

First Grade
Its in Dufty's hands now. I know many rate the kid as the next special FB, .. i am not convinced. "yet"

With the injury to Gaz, this window is there now for him to show that he can not only score from broken play, but do the ugly stuff fullbacks need to do. Diffuse bombs, cover in defence, read the play, return the ball with vigour and not sideways, support play, etc etc etc.

The good fullbacks cover all these facets.

For the sake of the team, I hope he steps up. Wish him well.
I want him to shadow Normy in attack.
Many points there I reckon.
CC

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty keen to hit the ground running in return to St George Illawarra starting lineup
Local Sport
r0_107_4807_3066_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Comfortable: Matt Dufty training in the rain with Corey Norman on Thursday. Picture: Adam McLean.
Heading into the 2019 season, Matt Dufty knew he was set for a reduced role within the Dragons squad.

The off-season arrival of Corey Norman had created a selection headache for Paul McGregor and Dufty became the unlucky man in St George Illawarra's game of musical chairs and moved to the bench. Or, as was the case last weekend, out of the 17 altogether.

While disappointed, it was a role he had accepted.

Suddenly, everything has changed for the 23-year-old. A serious injury to Gareth Widdop has seen Dufty thrust back into St George Illawarra's starting side and into the fullback position.

And he's ready, he said on Thursday, to hit the ground running against Newcastle on Sunday Knight.

"I'm very excited to get back out there and can't wait to play," Dufty said.

"I thought this year was going to be a bit different, there would be a few ins and outs and I wouldn't know what I was really doing. But now we get a chance to practice for next year a year early.

"I'll be looking to hit the ground running, just getting around the ball, having lots of carries, lots of touches, just buzzing around doing my thing. That's what I bring to the team, I bring some energy and that's what I'll be doing on Sunday."

Dufty faces a challenging one-on-one battle in his return to the team, with Kalyn Ponga moving to his preferred fullback position for the Knights.

Having played against each other throughout their junior careers, Dufty knows what to expect from Ponga.

"He's a great threat wherever he plays. Going through the 20s and last year, we've had a few battles and they've been good ones. I'm looking forward to getting out there and battling against him.

"He's just dangerous wherever he plays. He's a bit like Roger [Tuivasa-Sheck] with his feet and he just pops up anywhere. It will be a hard matchup for the team this week."

With Widdop set to miss the next four to five months, the responsibility to lead the Dragons around the park will fall on halves Norman and Ben Hunt.

For Norman, it's a challenge he's looking forward to embracing.

"Me and Hunty, we're definitely going to have to step up now," Norman said. "It was Gaz's team and he's not playing at the moment. Ben's been here for a year now, I'm definitely going to have to step up and help Hunty. There's a bit of experience there, we know what we need to do."

Read more: Frizell edging closer to Dragons return

With Dufty out of the starting lineup through the opening three weeks of the season, Norman has spent very little time playing with his new fullback. He has no concerns, however, that they will struggle to form a combination.

"We've still got our same structures. We play the same if Matt was there, or me, or Gaz. It's just business as usual.

"He came off the bench in the first couple of games and I'm excited to be playing with him, he's a speedster. Our structures are the same, our gameplan's the same, it's just Dufty back there."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...as-dragons-prepare-for-newcastle-test/?cs=302

possm

Coach
Hope Matt has a blinder....be interesting to see the look on Pongas face when Duff leaves him groping for thin air

I would love to see the look on most Dragon fans face when/if Dufty cuts Ponga down in the last line of defence. Also when Dufty takes Pearce's high boms with confidence and makes significant ground when returning the ball.

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Dufty always in McGregor's fullback plans for St George Illawarra Dragons
Local Sport
r0_427_4182_2788_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

High ball: Matt Dufty will play at fullback in St George Illawarra's showdown against Newcastle on Sunday. Picture: Adam McLean

Dragons coach Paul McGregor has declared Matt Dufty was always going to play a major role at fullback during the NRL campaign, claiming he provides the "genuine speed" they've lacked so far this season.

The highly-criticised move to start captain Gareth Widdop in the No.1 jersey in the opening rounds looked to be starting to pay off against the Broncos last week, until the English international went down with a dislocated shoulder.

Unlikely to return until August, Widdop's absence has fast-tracked McGregor's plans to bring Dufty back into the starting team, after playing three games as an interchange option.

"We always planned that Gareth wasn't going to play 30 games at fullback, it was about starting in the most settled way," he said.

"We thought Gareth at fullback would do that because he knows the system best, he's got a loud voice and he's our captain.

"There was a lot of criticism around the first couple of weeks (losses to the Cowboys and Souths), but there were reasons why we lost those games, as well, not just the spine.

"And we got it right (against Brisbane) and unfortunately Gareth went down late, which is a sad thing when you lose a player of Gareth's quality for an extended period."

READ MORE: Dufty keen to hit the ground running in return to St George Illawarra starting lineup

McGregor confirmed Dufty and Widdop had shared the fullback duties at training in the "seven weeks" they had before the trials since Corey Norman arrived at the club.

Dufty's inclusion sets up an tantalising showdown with boom Newcastle talent Kalyn Ponga, who shifted from five-eighth to fullback this week after consecutive losses to the Panthers and Raiders.

McGregor said NSW forward Tyson Frizell - who suffered a lacerated testicle in round one - is a "real good chance" of playing on Sunday, with a decision to be made on Saturday after the captain's run.

It could result in Frizell starting on the right edge, with Blake Lawrie and Korbin Sims defending in the middle, but McGregor was tight-lipped about a starting role for the State of Origin star.

McGregor confirmed centre Tim Lafai will take over the goalkicking role from Widdop, though Zac Lomax, named on the bench, is likely to add the extras if he's on the field.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-dufty-fullback-return-an-instant-hit/?cs=302

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Ok, so Dufty dropped some ball last night but .................... he brings much more to the team than catching a ball at fullback.

Our wingers and centres need to be alert to feed the ball to him as he comes running through.
Problem is, our wingers & centres are still in nappies and will take time to gain the nous to know when Dufty is going to make a running break.

One would expect, McGregor being a centre, could assist with some advice.

I'm prepared to accept Dufty dropping a ball and making up with scoring some tries for the Red V.
l'm confident that he'll score more points than cost us.
I think he brings that much to the team.

Dufty is a confidence player and will improve in good time.
McGregor seems to be allowing Rava more grace than offers at present.
He made many mistakes last night and no tackles ( if l'm correct ).

Latest posts