What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Orford

hindy111

Post Whore
Im glad parra didnt sign him now.He is finished as a first grade player-What did use pay and how long is he there for.I mean once campo is back your halves will be him andmcrone no doubt.And lng term its campo and williams
How he been going (williams) i think i got his name right.He looks the goods to me.

Timbo

Staff member
He needs a few weeks at Souths-Logan to sort himself out.

He's trying his backside off but he's nust not up to speed right now.

Cryptic

Juniors
I must say I've been impressed with McCrone's kicking game... They haven't all been great but considering all the kicking is on him as apparantly Orford has two left feet....

to_ddeath

Coach
Geez, what was that on saturday...
You had better halfbacks several years ago when you really really sucked. Punt Orful now & bring in
Williams, this old hack could really f*ck up your year bigtime....

aussies1st

Staff member
Canberra coach David Furner insists injury, not form, is behind Matt Orford's omission from the Raiders side to play North Queensland in Townsville on Saturday night.

The maligned halfback did not train yesterday due to a lower back injury and has been replaced by Toyota Cup playmaker Sam Williams.

Orford has struggled to adjust in his return to the NRL, with many experts calling for the Bradford recruit to make way for Williams in recent weeks.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Williams, 20, starred on debut in the Raiders' crushing round one victory over Cronulla, earning man of the match honours.

Canberra is desperate to snap a four-game losing streak against the Cowboys, and Williams faces a daunting match-up against Australia and Queensland halfback Johnathan Thurston.

"We had a good talk [with medical staff about Orford], and for this week's game we need to take in fit players," Furner said.

"He had a clash with [Penrith prop Petero] Civoniceva [last week] and Matty couldn't guarantee he'd be able to train tomorrow.

"We've only got two sessions before we travel to North Queensland and with a couple of other players in doubt I need to take as fit a team as possible."

Furner believed the level of criticism directed at Orford, who is expected to miss just one match, had been unfair. Many other Raiders players are also performing well below their best, and Furner demanded a better attitude against the Cowboys after last week's uninspired 36-10 loss at Penrith.

Should Canberra lose to the fourth-placed Cowboys, it would be the first time it has lost five straight games since the end of 2005.

"Not only individually but as a team, we didn't perform [against Penrith] as we would have liked," Furner said.

"A lot has been said [about Orford's form], but at the end of the day Sammy gets an opportunity. The criticism is unfairly thrown at Matt when you have a look at those games and where we could have won those games."

Furner said Orford had shown marked signs of improvement against the Panthers and was desperate to play this week.

"He was very keen. There's a lot been said and I know that Matt is a competitor that wants to play," Furner said. "I am more than confident of what Matty is able to do, and thought last week defensively he was very strong. He also set up the first try, so there was a lot of good signs for Matt."

In other selection news, centre Joel Thompson has been named to make his return after he lost an estimated 1.5litres of blood due to facial injuries in the aftermath of Canberra's loss to Gold Coast a fortnight ago.

Thompson trained strongly yesterday and will take his place if he gets through today's session.

Glen Buttriss will start at hooker with Travis Waddell relegated to the bench.

In-form prop Dane Tilse [hamstring] wasn't named, but rates himself some chance of returning after sitting out the Panthers clash.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/orford-hurt-not-dumped-furner-20110413-1ddd7.html

Whatever floats his boat I guess, if we win this week I wonder what will happen though.

aussies1st

Staff member
CANBERRA'S season of promise is fast turning into a debacle and it's no secret that star recruit Matt Orford isn't comfortable in his new surroundings.

At his best, Orford is a great player who won the Dally M medal three years ago en route to leading Manly to a crushing 40-0 grand final win over Melbourne.

But to be at his best, Orford needs total control of his team and that's not been handed to him.

We've heard the veteran has had several heart-to-heart discussions with Raiders coach David Furner about the issue.

There's growing speculation around that Orford could link with Souths next season, because of his long-term relationship with incoming coach Michael Maguire that goes back to their Melbourne days a decade ago.

Take it to the bank that Orford has been on the phone to Maguire, who wouldn't mind pairing the veteran with Brett Finch at the scrumbase at Redfern next year. Those rumours may now gather momentum after Chris Sandow walked out on the Rabbitohs last week.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ding-gravy-train/story-e6freye0-1226050853745

gUt

Coach
That strikes me as utter bullshit. These are the excuses of a man who is clearly past it. Not "having control of the team" does not equate to knocking the ball on at scrums etc.

Timbo

Staff member
That was not his fault ffs, the second rower kicked it as he was picking it up.

I'd believe it, if the game plan is crap - which it is - maybe he's not been able to play the way he wants?

nickraider

Juniors
Just what the team needs - speculation that Orford is leaving. He's not playing his best as it is so I can't see his mind being on winning a game of football for the Raiders if he's in talks with Souths.

bileduct

Coach
Given that Orford went down in agony without a finger on him whilst trying to change direction during the game on the weekend I would say this is no loss whatsoever.

I was initially excited when Orford was signed but it's pretty clear that his best days are behind him and we should concentrate on players with better fitness.

Given that Orford went down in agony without a finger on him whilst trying to change direction during the game on the weekend I would say this is no loss whatsoever.

I was initially excited when Orford was signed but it's pretty clear that his best days are behind him and we should concentrate on players with better fitness.

thats my worry , we know he was a great player , he was in good form for Bradford but there is no guarantee that he will get back to that form.

And with him been linked to Souths , just about every halfback will be linked to them now.

condochook

Juniors
even i would have been a great player with all those stars around me....and i am sh it,and so was he.

Cryptic

Juniors
That was not his fault ffs, the second rower kicked it as he was picking it up.

I'd believe it, if the game plan is crap - which it is - maybe he's not been able to play the way he wants?

I don't care if hoppa shoves his thumb up your arse while you're trying to pick up the ball... With 30 seconds to go just fall on the f**king thing and take the tackle... There was still no excuse for that f**k up and in the scheme of things that one piss poor play has cost us 2 points... Which would actually double our current effort...

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Orford has been awful.
But if he is disgruntled he make a good point.

The raiders attacking structure is the worse in the NRL.
One half on the extreme left and one spaz (mcrone) sitting on the right hand side.

Mcrone is crap.
I know he is a tryer and sadly at time stood out for canberra this year.
He is a no hoper - how long are Canberra going to waste their time.

For depth look at warriors.
The have Isaac John, NSW cup halfback of the year pita godinet and nyc star Shaun Johnson playing reserves.

Hell Aaron Heremaia would actually be a good pickup.
He is a better half than hooker and would be great backup for williams/waddell and mcwillirick

Timbo

Staff member
I don't care if hoppa shoves his thumb up your arse while you're trying to pick up the ball... With 30 seconds to go just fall on the f**king thing and take the tackle... There was still no excuse for that f**k up and in the scheme of things that one piss poor play has cost us 2 points... Which would actually double our current effort...

Fall on it and take the tackle? He was picking it up from the scrumbase and it was kicked out of his hands. People blaming him for that are in fantasy land.