What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McCrone

We had a chance to make informed decisions this offseason and came up with Lafai and wingers on their non preferred side.
Just because we have Mc Crone is not a reason in itself to pick him.
If Mc Crone did an ACL this week what we do for the rest of the season?

rejoice and play Mann at 7 or 6

getsmarty

Immortal
McCrone in it for the long haul at halfback

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

1 Mar 2017, 2 p.m.

ST GEORGE Illawarra veteran Josh McCrone is steeling himself for a full 80 minutes in the No. 7 on Saturday despite young-gun Jai Field also being named in the 17 for the Dragons season-opener against Penrith at Kogarah.

r0_0_3000_1997_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

LONG TERM VIEW: Josh McCrone is aiming to still be the Dragons halfback come round 26 after getting the nod for round one. Picture: Getty Images.

Who will partner Gareth Widdop in the halves has been the major story line running through the Dragons preseason since young-gun Drew Hutchison suffered a season-ending ACL tear pre-Christmas.

Coach Paul McGregor suggested after his side’s Charity Shield defeat two weeks ago that he may try and find room for both Field and McCrone in his 17, given the latter’s utility value.

McCrone got the early nod when the initial 21-man squad for round one was named on Tuesday – with Field named in the No. 17 jumper – and insisted he’s preparing play the full game at the scrum-base.

“In my own head, I’m going out there expecting to play 80 minutes at halfback,” McCrone said.

“That utility value obviously gives me more of an opportunity to play in the team but I’m just looking forward to playing halfback first and foremost and doing a really good job there.

“Whatever comes after that I’ll deal with it then.

“If Fieldy’s on the bench he’s a half that has to come on so there’s a fair chance [I may move elsewhere] but I’ve just got to go in with the mentality that I’m out there for 80 minutes it I’ve got to give it everything.”

The 29-year-old is closing in on 150 first grade games but has spent the last two seasons with Canberra and the Dragons drifting in and out of first grade largely in utility roles.

He was a key member of Illawarra’s reserve grade double crown last season, playing in the halves, at hooker and lock, but sees 2017 as a chance to re-establish himself as a genuine NRL half.

“It’s awesome to be back [in first grade] but at the same time there’s 26 rounds and you want to be there in round 26 as much as round one,” McCrone said.

“It was a good way to end the year last year in reserve grade winning the two comps but this is where everyone wants to play.

“I was confident in my own ability, it was always going to be up to Mary but I’m just thankful for the opportunity now.”

McCrone will now be asked to play a major role in rebooting the Dragons attack which has come in for heavy criticism in the past 12 months.

A limp attacking effort in the Charity Sheild has again put the focus on what Dragons do with the football but McCrone is confident preseason adjustments will have the desired effect.

“We’re a lot more relaxed and there’s been a lot more emphasis on just having our eyes up and playing footy,” McCrone said.

“[McGregor’s] put a lot more control in the halves’s hands and the hooker and the fullback.

“We’ve got a big powerful forward pack so we’ll just let them roll forward in yardage and play simple footy on the back of it rather than worrying about getting to a certain point on the field to run a certain play.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-in-it-for-the-long-haul-at-halfback/?cs=3713

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
To start the season, probably best with McCrone in first but I'd be bringing Jai Field in with 30 minutes to play second half.

The wash up of this would be to keep the onus on McCrone to fire up and to slowly blood Field into first grade.
McCrone is the steady influence, Field is the 'unexpected' value which is what we need.

The opposition won't know how to handle him, which could benefit us two-fold.
It will help him to play and he will help us with the excitement and unknown factor.

We (hopefully) should win on both counts.

C'om you Dragons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Timer

Coach
We have our halfback for next year and he is currently playing for the broncos. We don't need McCrone to be playing next year .. we just need to get through this season with him. We don't need to develop a 7 internally - we need to know who the best option for 6 is for this year and just as importantly next year. Esp with contracts up in the air for Mann/Widdop

That is why McCrone should be playing 7 and why Widdop/Field/Mann should be spending time at 6 this season so that we can make an informed decision on who plays 6 next year.
RR we will only have the half back, when next year actually gets here and until then in the world of RL I trust nothing and noone.
I can see the banner now
"I TRUST IN NOONE"
Our club had the right to experiment and it didn't do it and as a result because the comp is starting, we supposedly have to run with mediocrity which is tried and proven, well I can no longer abide by that.
For all we know Hunt might renege or get injured and we still know nothing other than plodder Mc Crone which is just ridiculous.
Roll the dice and have a go instead of boring us all to death.
TBH Nona would have been a far better option in the 1st instance.

Crush

Coach
RR we will only have the half back, when next year actually gets here and until then in the world of RL I trust nothing and noone.
I can see the banner now
"I TRUST IN NOONE"
Our club had the right to experiment and it didn't do it and as a result because the comp is starting, we supposedly have to run with mediocrity which is tried and proven, well I can no longer abide by that.
For all we know Hunt might renege or get injured and we still know nothing other than plodder Mc Crone which is just ridiculous.
Roll the dice and have a go instead of boring us all to death.
TBH Nona would have been a far better option in the 1st instance.
"Roll the dice and have a go instead of boring us all to death" I think this is pretty much how I feel about the whole season OT. If other combinations were to fail then so be it. But at least we would know.
Sure, the fans don't see everything that happens behind closed doors, at training, at boot camp....but surely widdop, mccrone isn't the halves combination that is going to ignite our attack. And why Lafai? Seriously why? I sound like a broken record but I just cannot accept the selection of Lafai. Or the non-selection of Mann! These selections make no sense.

hazzbeen

Bench
"Roll the dice and have a go instead of boring us all to death" I think this is pretty much how I feel about the whole season OT. If other combinations were to fail then so be it. But at least we would know.
Sure, the fans don't see everything that happens behind closed doors, at training, at boot camp....but surely widdop, mccrone isn't the halves combination that is going to ignite our attack. And why Lafai? Seriously why? I sound like a broken record but I just cannot accept the selection of Lafai. Or the non-selection of Mann! These selections make no sense.
Crush how Mann is not in the team shows Mary , Coyne and Co have no idea .....

getsmarty

Immortal
McCrone not resting on laurels
Wed 1st March, 05:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons halfback Josh McCrone wants to see out the season in the No. 7 jumper after being named to start alongside Gareth Widdop against the Penrith Panthers at UOW Jubilee Oval, Kogarah on Saturday, March 4.

McCrone also discussed his on-field role in relation to potential NRL debutant Jai Field's presence in the Dragons' 17 and the positivity within the camp on the eve of the 2017 Telstra Premiership season.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/03/01/mccrone_not_resting_.html

Belta

Juniors
I find it interesting when media refer to dragons fans as being very critical of the teams performances, the media does not portray the fans correctly I feel, imo the fans are more frustrated then they are disappointed, their frustration I believe is warranted and stems from decisions made about the FG side, namely the lack of selection options used by the coach, I think the fans know their are credible options, players that display potential who are over looked even when the FG players aren't playing well...two glaring examples of this being Rein and Benji who were not only down on form but we're leaving....

And as fans we try to overlook this and support the selected side, and as much as I hope Mcrone, Widdop, Lafai...ignite our attack..I realistically cannot see it happening. If it does, great I will be gladly proven wrong, but it doesn't I hope changes are made as blind Freddy can see the depth, so why can't Mary...

GO THE DRAGONS

possm

Coach
This is about his mark for us,Although i would prefer Havili on the bench as back up hooker.
Havili out injured indefinitely. This gives Robson and McCrone the chance to partner McInnes in the hooker rotation. As things are, I'm tipping Robson to be on the first grade bench regularly by mid season.

In 2018 we will have two young hookers in McInnes and Robson and no need for Havili, McCrone and most of the other Mary plodders. A new coach will really shake up the roster and have plenty of cap space to do so. I predict Widdop, Dugan, Lafai, Nightingale, McCrone and Marketo to be gone at end of season.

RufusRex

Post Whore
A halfback and a hooker do amazing things to a team. We have played 2-3 seasons without them ... mccrone and McInnes were great today

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
McCrone was unexpectedly good. His kicking was excellent, His fifth tackle options always seemed to be the right ones in the context of the game, and he combined well with Widdop. Defense wasn't bad either. I've seen him play some very average games but this wasn't one of them.

dragon-83

Juniors
It will be interesting to see how the team plays when they are behind in games whether they go back to playing their old predictable way.

Last edited: