What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne Cup

ek999

First Grade
Just saw Dandino came 5th. Red Cadeaux is a merkin. Has cost me first 4 and trifecta

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Official finishing order..

1 Fiorente
2 Red Cadeaux
3 Mt Athos

4 Simeon
5 Dandino
6 Fawkner
7 Ethiopia
8 Brown Panther
9 Super Cool
10 Voleuse De Coeurs
11 Dunaden
12 Seville
13 Sea Moon
14 Royal Empire
15 Morayan
16 Ibicenco
17Foreteller
18 Masked Marvel
19 Dear Demi
20 Hawkspur
21 Green Moon
22 Tres Blue
23 Russcello

Verema failed to finish..

to_ddeath

Coach
F*ck Ollie... doesn't even deserve to be out there the cheating cat. Congrats to Gai, she had this planned since last years Cup it seems. Fiorente totally outstayed them.
A tad puzzled as to why Hall was soooo far back on Fawkner, didn't need to be & rode it like the race was 3600 metres FFS....

T.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Can't have Sea Moon at all, he looks like he has lost a leg out here. He fell in last start in an average race. Seville has to be Williams top chance and is ridden by the gun Hugh Bowman. The two overseas mares will be hard to beat, Mount Atho's is weighted to win but the barrier makes it hard. Thinking of having a bit on the Shielks horse he is the forgotten horse in the race. Gee this is a tough race.

I thought Sea Moon's last run was a ripper..Lloyd has got him peaking at the right time IMO..he went dead straight last time, & looks a real Flemington horse..and on his Pommy form he's got a couple of lengths on these & he's well weighted i reckon..I'm having something on him..It's going to have a pace maker in Masked Marvel too..

Agree about Royal Empire..he has the right form for this, & you know they'll win a Cup eventually..

21 has turned me off backing Voleuse De Coeurs, but i'll have it in the multiples, as it's St Ledger run was so good..

But yeah, it's a tough race..

Beat me by one place..:o:lol:

Xfactor1979

Bench
Odds up for the 2014 cup already.:lol::crazy:

Anyone care to show that scene from David Milch's (the creator of Deadwood) "Luck" Starring Dustin Hoffman where a horse breaks its leg and then they euthanise the horse with Sigur Ros playing in the soundtrack

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
Is it really necessary to kill a horse just because it broke its leg? Can't race again obviously but it doesn't cost much to just keep it in a bloody paddock for the rest of its days

Danish

Referee
A horse can live with 3 legs FFS, so don't let them kid you that there was no choice. Fact is the horse living was probably going to cost $10-15k worth of surgery that they would never think about wasting on a horse that can't make them any money.

With billions that goes through the racing industry, including hundreds of millions of tax payer dollars, you'd think perhaps they could set up a fund to look look after broken down horses. Some sort of mandatory medical insurance type deal. Putting a tent up on the track and killing a horse for breaking down shouldn't happen in this day and age.

beave

Coach
Im in no way a horse expert but you can't exactly tell a horse to take it easy for 6 weeks whilst their leg heals in plaster can you?

Horrie Is God

First Grade
A horse can live with 3 legs FFS, so don't let them kid you that there was no choice. Fact is the horse living was probably going to cost $10-15k worth of surgery that they would never think about wasting on a horse that can't make them any money.

With billions that goes through the racing industry, including hundreds of millions of tax payer dollars, you'd think perhaps they could set up a fund to look look after broken down horses. Some sort of mandatory medical insurance type deal. Putting a tent up on the track and killing a horse for breaking down shouldn't happen in this day and age.

Mate this shows a severe lack of knowledge of equine anatomy..

The mare was worth about $1 million (at stud) if she could've been saved, so to think the owner (The Aga Khan) would'nt have done whatever it took to save her is naive..

You seem to have the horses best interest at heart, but the threat of Laminitis post surgery is too great..

Again, the vets had no choice but to euthanize her..

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I'm sure the Aga khan could have afforded the Vet bills, as Horrie has said they would have saved her if they could. She would have been a very valuable brood mare.

Unfortunate but that is racing, remember Unworldy Horrie how good could she have been??? Broke her leg the same way all of woodlands were absolutely shattered they lost her.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
They tried everything they could to save Barbaro..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbaro

On May 20, 2006, Barbaro ran in the Preakness Stakes as a heavy favorite, but, after he false-started, he fractured three bones in and around the fetlock of his right hind leg. The injury ruined any chance of a Triple Crown in 2006 and ended his racing career. The next day, he underwent surgery at the New Bolton Center at the University of Pennsylvania for his injuries. In July he developed laminitis in his left rear leg. He underwent five further operations, and his prognosis varied during an exceptionally long stay in the Equine Intensive Care Unit at the New Bolton Center. While his right hind leg eventually healed, a final risky procedure on it proved futile because the colt soon developed further laminitis in both front legs. His veterinarians and owners concluded that he could not be saved, and Barbaro was euthanized on January 29, 2007..

[youtube]ISbLYsAe9d0[/youtube]

Horrie Is God

First Grade
I'm sure the Aga khan could have afforded the Vet bills, as Horrie has said they would have saved her if they could. She would have been a very valuable brood mare.

Unfortunate but that is racing, remember Unworldy Horrie how good could she have been??? Broke her leg the same way all of woodlands were absolutely shattered they lost her.

Mate i remember Unworldy well..She was a freak..

Snowden still says it's the best filly he's had anything to do with..

They reckon her death took 10 years off of Old Jack's life..

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Mate i remember Unworldy well..She was a freak..

Snowden still says it's the best filly he's had anything to do with..

They reckon her death took 10 years off of Old Jack's life..
Her win in the Flight was black caviar like, Sunline might not have won as many races if we didnt lose her. Remember the news poor old Larry Cassidy never seemed to recover either. The highs and lows of racing, it can be a tough game sometimes.

Danish

Referee
Mate this shows a severe lack of knowledge of equine anatomy..

The mare was worth about $1 million (at stud) if she could've been saved, so to think the owner (The Aga Khan) would'nt have done whatever it took to save her is naive..

You seem to have the horses best interest at heart, but the threat of Laminitis post surgery is too great..

Again, the vets had no choice but to euthanize her..

Getting the horse back in condition to live comfortably is a far cry from getting it back into good enough health to win more money for its owners. A broken leg is not a death sentence for any animal. It is only a death sentence for investments that can no longer make any returns.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
Getting the horse back in condition to live comfortably is a far cry from getting it back into good enough health to win more money for its owners. A broken leg is not a death sentence for any animal. It is only a death sentence for investments that can no longer make any returns.

Lol..

Did you even read my post..:?

Actually you should learn about Laminitis..

It's obvious your knowledge of horses is limited, but read this..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminitis

Also watch the video on Barbaro i posted earlier..

The pain the poor horse would have to endure for your utopian view of "saving it" is akin to animal abuse..

You haven't thought this one through..

Once again, the vets had no choice but to euthanize the mare..