What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbournes Money

What to do with Melbourne $8 million cash injection

• Total voters

nomarg

Melbourne currently reportedly receives around $8 mill a year for news limited-

theoretically if they pulled out over night and Melbourne lost that source of income which of the following would you prefer and why

Divide equally among the clubs

Leave it as it is

Gradually withdraw funding over a 3-5 year etc period....

Goddo

Bench
Well, News takes what, $10m from the game every year... at least some of it ends up going back to a club, and a club with huge growth prospects.

nomarg

It's 5-6 million that goes to Melbourne, not 8 million.

Roy Masters-

Such is the rivalry in the ''catch-and-kill-your-own'' world of rugby league, the NRL's other 15 clubs would demand News Ltd's $8m be split among them, rather than fund a club that has won the code's two big prizes - the NRL premiership and the under-20s Toyota Cup.

Brutus

Referee
Roy Masters-

Such is the rivalry in the ''catch-and-kill-your-own'' world of rugby league, the NRL's other 15 clubs would demand News Ltd's $8m be split among them, rather than fund a club that has won the code's two big prizes - the NRL premiership and the under-20s Toyota Cup.

Roy Masters

News Ltd draws $8m annually from NRL revenue, partly as re-payment of debts incurred during the Super League war but also to fund the Storm's annual $5m-$6m loss.

The other $2-3m of the $8m loss goes towards paying off Superleague debts. The $8m isn't all directed towards Melbourne.

Brutus

Referee
If our game is to be played successfully on a national stage (which it must eventually), we need teams like the Storm. They are a must.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Divide it equally between the other clubs.

Then organise a task force to move heaven and earth to ensure Melbourne is harvested for enough sponsorship to keep the storm healthy.

We need Melbourne. But the have to be self sufficient.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Have a think about this for a minute.

Melbourne are being propped up by this $5-6 million a year yes? But how much does Melbourne add to our current and future TV rights? The Victorian market is a big one and I for one think that although the Storms balance sheet looks bad, and are helped by 50% of the NRL, the NRL's balance sheet looks better with Melbourne.

I say that if News Ltd leave the Storm, the new commission should fund the debt that Melbourne may fall into. Melbourne will one day be self sufficiant, but they need help from the stronger Rugby League community, the other clubs. Once Melbourne is strong enough, they will naturally help the rest of the clubs.

I feel the same way if a Perth side was introduced.

Loudstrat

Coach
Good point Tezza. Having Melbourne in the last 4 GF's certainly has helped us outrate AFL GF on the big day.

If Melbourne's benefit to the game is in TV ratings - we are not utilising that potential value thanks to C9!

big_matt

Juniors
I'm biased, but the NRL needs the Storm. And not only that, but it really needs to expand further into other parts of Australia as well like WA and SA.

700k people in Vic watched the NRL grand final. Take that number away from the total viewing figure and it wouldn't do that well in the ratings at all for a sporting grand final.

d3@t3h

Juniors
The NRL final outrated the AFL grand final?
Why?
Because Victorian viewers tuned in to watch the Storm.
No, not really more to do with Big city dick comparing with Sydney.
Melbourne vs Sydney have always had a rivalry in terms of competing to be the biggest and best capital city.

matt

Juniors
Piss them off them throw a f**king party and put a team on the central coast.

_Johnsy

Referee
I'm biased, but the NRL needs the Storm. And not only that, but it really needs to expand further into other parts of Australia as well like WA and SA.

700k people in Vic watched the NRL grand final. Take that number away from the total viewing figure and it wouldn't do that well in the ratings at all for a sporting grand final.

Not correct, the ratings figures only take into account a minute section of regional NSW & QLD.

meltiger

First Grade
The Storm must be propped up as long as is neccesary. That is a simple fact.

Only insular fools could possibly think otherwise.

The AFL in part get the money they do because they are seen as a national game. Now regardless of the facts around ratings/interest etc, that is a fact. the AFL propped up the Swans for many many years, in order to ensure they had some kind of a toe in the Sydney market.

If RL didn't do the same ... *sigh* Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

The fact Melbourne have been in the GF for the last 4 years should be largely irrelevant. The money News is giving them isn't giving them an on-field advantage over the other clubs.

Have a think about this for a minute.

Melbourne are being propped up by this $5-6 million a year yes? But how much does Melbourne add to our current and future TV rights? The Victorian market is a big one and I for one think that although the Storms balance sheet looks bad, and are helped by 50% of the NRL, the NRL's balance sheet looks better with Melbourne.

I say that if News Ltd leave the Storm, the new commission should fund the debt that Melbourne may fall into. Melbourne will one day be self sufficiant, but they need help from the stronger Rugby League community, the other clubs. Once Melbourne is strong enough, they will naturally help the rest of the clubs.

I feel the same way if a Perth side was introduced.

Excellent post.

One could also argue Melbourne aren't as profitable as they can be, because they are unable to maxmise their sponsorship potential due to the flat out refusal of the NRL to stand up to Channel 9 and enforce "use it or lose it" in regards to coverage levels in Melbourne.

Last edited:

Brutus

Referee
Piss them off them throw a f**king party and put a team on the central coast.

And while we're at it, piss the Warriors, Broncos and Cowboys off and put teams in Coffs Harbour and Dubbo and bring back Illawarra as a single entity.

We'd be raking in the TV money then.

matt

Juniors
The Victorians will only get these sort of numbers on GF day anyways,if I have to watch these murderers of the game for another 5 years play in Grand finals so we can see the Mexican tv numbers for the one and only day they watch it, then I would prefer to lay down on the front lawn and watch it grow...Or has that just happened??

Last edited:

matt

Juniors
And while we're at it, piss the Warriors, Broncos and Cowboys off and put teams in Coffs Harbour and Dubbo and bring back Illawarra as a single entity.

We'd be raking in the TV money then.

Computer says NO.

expand your strengths.