What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbournes Money

What to do with Melbourne $8 million cash injection

• Total voters

matt

Juniors
Almost as many people watched Melbourne's GFQ in Melbourne as did the AFL GF in Sydney. Ludicrous argument.

I dont know how to take that from a bloke that has had his club merged to incorporate a myth.

But anyways i wish you well.

Gippsy

Bench
Tend to agree that Melbourne need to be propped up, for the greater good of the game. Just not to the extent they dominate the competition, reeks of propping them up a bit too much.

meltiger

First Grade
I dont know how to take that from a bloke that has had his club merged to incorporate a myth.

But anyways i wish you well.

WTF does that have to do with Melbourne?

FMD what a twit.

FWIW ... I despise the fact my club was forced to merge. Anyone who has read these boards long enough knows that.

What that has to do with Melbourne, and looking towards the future health of the game however, I haev NFI

meltiger

First Grade
Tend to agree that Melbourne need to be propped up, for the greater good of the game. Just not to the extent they dominate the competition, reeks of propping them up a bit too much.

They aren't being given any advantages other clubs don't have.

Every club has had the chance to recruit the players + coaching staff they have.

Melbourne are doing things better than other clubs, it's as simple as that.

Rather than tearing Melbourne down, people should be demanding their clubs lift to try and match what Melbourne are achieving.

big_matt

Juniors
They aren't being given any advantages other clubs don't have.

Every club has had the chance to recruit the players + coaching staff they have.

Melbourne are doing things better than other clubs, it's as simple as that.

Rather than tearing Melbourne down, people should be demanding their clubs lift to try and match what Melbourne are achieving.

Exactly.

How are we being propped up to the extent of dominating? Geez, some of the conspiracy theories on here are amazing.

We have the same salary cap as everyone else and the same recruitment rules as everyone else.

The fact we employed plenty staff at the top of their game and recruited some of the top players has nothing to do with News ltd.

bobmar28

Bench
The Storm have to be supported. the alternative is to see the NATIONAL rugby league shrinking not expanding.

matt

Juniors
Exactly.

How are we being propped up to the extent of dominating? Geez, some of the conspiracy theories on here are amazing.

We have the same salary cap as everyone else and the same recruitment rules as everyone else.

The fact we employed plenty staff at the top of their game and recruited some of the top players has nothing to do with News ltd.

So you havent murdered the game by bending rules ..Errr heads.

Salary cap,Who does the News LTD(NRL) send down to go through the News LTD Books??

big_matt

Juniors
Excellent post.

One could also argue Melbourne aren't as profitable as they can be, because they are unable to maxmise their sponsorship potential due to the flat out refusal of the NRL to stand up to Channel 9 and enforce "use it or lose it" in regards to coverage levels in Melbourne.

This is an excellent point. People bagging off our crowds etc may not be aware that the Storm are trying to build a club and an interest in the game in what is essentially a league tv blackout down here.

The people that turn up to the games are therefore the really diehard fans because there is no chance of someone seing a game on tv and thinking "That looks good - I'll go to the ground next week and watch a game live".

I personally think it should be illegal for tv stations to 'not use it and not lose it'

If channel 9 wont show games they should not be stopping foxtel from doing so. Had foxtel had the GF live in Vic we not only would have had less biased coverage but the Melb fans would have seen their team lifting the trophy after the game!

I dont agree with the campaign to keep sport on the free to air channels either. They take advantage of the viewer (see 7's farcical "coverage" of the olympics), and I'm happy to pay a bit each month for sport to be given coverage it deserves. Its also a myth that it has to be on free-to-air for poor people to see it. The vast majority of satellite tv boxes and dishes throughout the world belong to those lower down the wage scale. Many surveys have been done on that.

big_matt

Juniors
So you havent murdered the game by bending rules ..Errr heads.

Salary cap,Who does the News LTD(NRL) send down to go through the News LTD Books??

Hilarious. If you have proof that the Storm as a club breaks the salary cap laws of the NRL you should sell it to the papers. Love the conspiracy theories on here!

SilentAssassin

Juniors
Bit off topic. 2009 was the first grand final I've been to since the Storms run started in 06. In any of the previous years have they had more supporters there? I thought it was a pathetic effort from storm supporters.

I'd hate to think what kind of following they would have if they struggled.

big_matt

Juniors
Bit off topic. 2009 was the first grand final I've been to since the Storms run started in 06. In any of the previous years have they had more supporters there? I thought it was a pathetic effort from storm supporters.

I'd hate to think what kind of following they would have if they struggled.

YAWN

Is this thread not about News Ltd pulling out of the NRL? Storm bashing has been done to death on these boards, but start another thread on it if you want.

Or at least come up with something different to the 250 other comments about Storms crowds eh?

Last edited:

SilentAssassin

Juniors
YAWN

Is this thread not about News Ltd pulling out of the NRL? Storm bashing has been done to death on these boards, but start another thread on it if you want.

Or at least come up with something different to the 250 other comments about Storms crowds eh?

Weren't happy enough with your first reply?

Sorry I don't live on these boards and don't read through everyones post.

I don't have anything against the storm. They have won me a lot of money over the years. I guess I was under the impression they had a decent following after being successful for so long. Obviously not.

matt

Juniors
yawn

The crowds they get difinately won't prop them and how is that leagues club coming along.

2 years Max..Hip hip.

big country

Juniors
pardon my ignorance, but can someone explain to me how the Storm will fill a yearly $5mil black hole if no longer funded by News Ltd? Logic would suggest that any business would go broke with a yearly debt of $5mil, yes?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
pardon my ignorance, but can someone explain to me how the Storm will fill a yearly $5mil black hole if no longer funded by News Ltd? Logic would suggest that any business would go broke with a yearly debt of $5mil, yes?

News ltd take about $8 million out of the game every year (debt they got from the Super League war). They put some of that money back into the Melbourne Storm. If News Ltd pull out of the Storm and the NRL, they would no longer get that $8 million from the NRL. Therefor, the NRL could just directly give it to the non-News Ltd owned Melbourne Storm.

ozjet1

The NRL final outrated the AFL grand final?
Why?
Because Victorian viewers tuned in to watch the Storm.

this is all BS.

over a million sydney-siders watched the 2005 & 2006 AFL GF's because of the Swans participation. since then, it's died in the arse.

the bulk of people within their respective cities will always go back to their main sport. viewing figures for GF's are always spiked due to the event. they may attract some new supporters but it wont ever be a decent amount to make any difference to the clubs financials.

just like the swans and GWS18 will be a loss-making operation and subsidised by the AFL into the future, the Melbourne Storm will always be a loss-making operation and need a an injection of massive funds each year, outside its normal revenue streams and NRL distribution.

and how the majority of people cant see the conflict that is the administrator of a comp also owning a team within it, or heavily subsiding it, is ludicrous. it seems to be the Australian way, whether it be AFL, NRL, A-league, etc. what we have is Australian sport trying to be bigger than what it is able to be ordinarily be, so in order to artificially boost them, they basically have any competitive integrity stripped of them.

big_matt

Juniors
Weren't happy enough with your first reply?

Sorry I don't live on these boards and don't read through everyones post.

I don't have anything against the storm. They have won me a lot of money over the years. I guess I was under the impression they had a decent following after being successful for so long. Obviously not.

What do you class as a decent following? I'm not having a dig at you just all the identical posts on here bagging our crowds.

We took approx 8,000 fans to the grand final in what was a very expensive trip. Many of my mates couldn't afford it. We don't have a huge bandwagon. The people you see at the GF are the people who go week in week out whether we win or lose. There were parra 'fans' at the game I spoke to with jerseys on who could only name hayne and hindmarsh. Does that mean their support was 'better' because they went.

We then had 2000 fans at the civic reception in the middle of a working day (wasnt a holiday here) when most of our fans were still in Sydney.

Granted its not the highest numbers you'll ever see but I wouldn't consider it totally embarrassing. Again, the NRL trophy isn't given to the team with the most fans, its given to the best team - which is us.

Last edited:

Latest posts