What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbournes Money

What to do with Melbourne $8 million cash injection

• Total voters

Scarves

Juniors
Keep the Storm, continue investing in the Storm and always ensure the Storm are well funded both on the track and in regard to development as well. Teams like the Storm situated in a "foreign" land are the future and it will a generation to make them self sufficient, the roots are already taking hold... as a game we should really back the people and the plans at the frontier that is the Melbourne Storm. Go for it Rugby League.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Exactly, I was talking to a mad keen Essendon supporter during the week who has no interest in RL or any understanding, infact he has the old Melbourne attitude to the game. He is 51, however I was shocked when he told me his son who is 22 and his mates went up for the GF and did so last year as well. This is the generation that will come through and make a huge difference and they will pass this open minded attitude onto their kids.

RL has a bright future in Victoria.

Also I have heard the Storm and Victory will have a joint membership package next year.

big country

Juniors
Ask yourself why News have pumped so much money into the storm. They know full well, as does anyone else with an ounce of sense, that having Melbourne involved in the NRL is absolutely vital to the future prosperity of the NRL.

I know many of you want to go back to 1975 and the NSWRL played in front of 5,000 people at local suburban parks but move on or give up!

we still get 8k or 9k to games so we haven't really moved on that much, yes?

If our game is to be played successfully on a national stage (which it must eventually), we need teams like the Storm. They are a must.

Absolutely spot on. Even if Melbourne were given 5-6 million in News limited absence it is absolutely miniscule compared to the support AFL have given the Swans and Lions ( and soon to be ) western Sydney. Why? Because the AFL is run by people who care about its future and are prepared to take short term pain for long term gain. We've been run by a media company for its own self interest. Let's back Melbourne if we have to ( and of course there are other ways of funding Storm, private ownership, public float etc that haven't been explored) and also finance a team in Perth as the next stage of our expansion.

And how galling is it that News Limited is taking money out of our game to cover its "debts" incurred in the Superleague war!!!!

we still get 8k or 9k to games so we haven't really moved on that much, yes?

A bit over 1 million watched home and away fixtures in 1975 while more than 3 million watched this year --- that's a 300 percent increase in crowds at a time when the population increased by about 40 percent so yes, we have moved on quite bit.

drake

First Grade
I understand your hatred and resentment towards a team that has had so much success and also the team of the decade. A team that came into the comp the very same year as yours. Why wouldn't you be as bitter as you are given you had a player pool of two entire clubs to choose from yet still haven't been able to win the one and only game that counts.

Factor in that the Mexicans have won 3 premierships in the same period, not to mention the Wests Tigers have won a title under the same circumstances as your merger/joint venture in less time, it's perfectly understandable that you're an angry man who obviously hates the world.
Again, selective reading. Obviously took your username too seriously and slammed your head on that pillow made of concrete.

St George, the team I've followed for 30 years, haven't one another premiership in that time. If I wanted to kick out more successful clubs, there'd only be 6 or 7 clubs in my fantasy league, and that ain't the case.

If Melbourne had been the wooden spooners for the last decade, I'd feel the same. Keep trying to throw sh*t, but I support St George Illawarra, a joint venture between St George DRLFC and Illawarra DRLFC. Not News Limited's sport entertainment franchise department.

The club I support does not owe it's existance and success to the mandantory draining of funds from the rest of the sport and the sport's supporters.

Did any of the other clubs get to choose if $6 million of their money went to create an experimental franchise?

In economic terms, they are a failed business experiment. $60 million dollars, 3 premierships and still can't rival Townsville for crowds. Talk about a money pit. If it was a private business, the owners would be bankrupt and homeless.

If Victorians want a team, they can do what people from the country in NSW have done for a 100 bloody years. What about the rest of QLD? Oh, they already follow league, News Ltd don't need to give them anything. They get money for nothing from most of NSW and QLD, why bother with a team in country NSW or central QLD.

Melbourne Storm, sadly sponsored by everyone besides Melbourne. Maybe they could replace the $6 million charity fund they scab off and get sponsored by Centrelink. Imagine the advertisement

"Handouts you did nothing to deserve or earn are for winners too!"

In-goal

Bench
Simply no storm and the competition will lose a hell of a lot in Sponsorship and Television rights.

Ignorence is bliss ay!!!

drake

First Grade
Simply no storm and the competition will lose a hell of a lot in Sponsorship and Television rights.

Ignorence is bliss ay!!!

Because those 12am games are an absolute bonanza to channel 9 in advertising revenue!

_Johnsy

Referee
I know many of you want to go back to 1975 and the NSWRL played in front of 5,000 people at local suburban parks but move on or give up!

Are you really that stupid or just a shocking memory retention.

People have stated they want Melbourne to stand on their own two feet, without the handouts (subsidised by all clubs, via news ltd profits).

Not one person has stated that they want to return to 1975 & the NSWRL & play in front of 5,000 people at local suburban parks. Wanker.

Billythekid

First Grade
Because those 12am games are an absolute bonanza to channel 9 in advertising revenue!

The AFL have earnt a sh*tload more from their tv deal by adding a Sydney and Brisbane team and they both rate like sh*t.

The worst part about your attitude is that so much of the work has been done already. I could understand short minded simpletons like yourself making this argument 10 years ago but not now.

The storm are finally moving into a decent stadium and can now start working towards a sustainable revenue stream.

We are finally getting some young Victorian players coming through the juniors system after a ton of hard work without any help from the NRL.

The NRL is getting decent ratings for SOO and the GF in Melbourne which is a big deal. With strong ratings below the border these 4 games are close to the top rating shows all year.

It wont be long before ch9 can no longer ignore the potential for the NRL in Melbourne.

_Johnsy

Referee
The AFL have earnt a sh*tload more from their tv deal by adding a Sydney and Brisbane team and they both rate like sh*t.

The worst part about your attitude is that so much of the work has been done already. I could understand short minded simpletons like yourself making this argument 10 years ago but not now.

The storm are finally moving into a decent stadium and can now start working towards a sustainable revenue stream.

We are finally getting some young Victorian players coming through the juniors system after a ton of hard work without any help from the NRL.

The NRL is getting decent ratings for SOO and the GF in Melbourne which is a big deal. With strong ratings below the border these 4 games are close to the top rating shows all year.

It wont be long before ch9 can no longer ignore the potential for the NRL in Melbourne.

So when the storm are in a sustainable revenue stream, and making money, will they then start returning some $$ to clubs who are starting to struggle in a financial sense as a thanks for the 10+ years of subsidisation ?

griff

Bench
The fact is the Storm are now in the comp, and if they went belly up it would be a PR disaster for the NRL. This would have sponsors deserting the NRL in droves and much less interest in the game's TV rights. It would cost way more than the $5m per annum that it costs to subsidise them, so it makes sense to continue to do so.

But the Storm do need to be weened off the public teat. With the move away from the sh*thole that is Olympic Park they will go a long way towards improving their financial performance. I'd progressively phase them off subsidies over the next few years at the same time as increasing the NRL distribution to all clubs.

Billythekid

First Grade
So when the storm are in a sustainable revenue stream, and making money, will they then start returning some $$ to clubs who are starting to struggle in a financial sense as a thanks for the 10+ years of subsidisation ?

No. Having a team in Victoria will bring in far more money than what has been used keeping the team alive.

Having a team in Victoria will bring a lot more money to the game in terms of tv dollars and sponsorship dollars. Thats the reward for the subsidisation.

nomarg

They will do this 1000 times over becasue of the TV, sponsorship and advert money it will bring into league....

_Johnsy

Referee
I'd progressively phase them off subsidies over the next few years at the same time as increasing the NRL distribution to all clubs.

Good post, I think people are just sick and tired of them with their hand out continually, while other clubs get SFA assistance from news ltd.

_Johnsy

Referee
No. Having a team in Victoria will bring in far more money than what has been used keeping the team alive.

Having a team in Victoria will bring a lot more money to the game in terms of tv dollars and sponsorship dollars. Thats the reward for the subsidisation.

They will do this 1000 times over becasue of the TV, sponsorship and advert money it will bring into league....

I understand the long term monetary benefit to the NRL with melbourne being successful.

However the storm will not pay a single cent to the clubs that have subsidised them for more than a decade, and that is wrong.

meltiger

First Grade
Learn to use the multiquote or struggle with the idea of putting the right name next to the right quote, dickhead.

Apologise. I was posting at work and mustn't have done ctrl/c properly when I got to OzJet's post.

Has been changed.

Everytime I see someone bring up Melbourne's success as my reason for my absolute hatred of them, I laugh.

Suggest you consult a dictionary. Jealousy & Hatred are two completely words.

As a Merge Tigpies fan, I'd have thought you might have liked the idea of your supporter base making some bloody sense, instead of squashing two foundation clubs, neither of which have any district ties to one another, to make room for f**king 'franchises'.

Anyone who has read these boards long enough knows what I think of Balmain having had to merge.

However, equally I have never been against expansion.

Single team towns that barely rate above Cronulla and Easts in terms of crowds do not deserve a free rugby league team. Every other team, including the sheep shaggers, represents an area that actually cares about our sport.

In 50 years time, Melbourne will be a far stronger outfit on & off field than Cronulla or the Roosters.

A petabyte of sad flames across the internet will not change my mind. Melbourne Storm should not be in the NRL.

How wonderful for you. I never expect to change anyones minds, but I will continue to make you look like a group of insular, jealous twits...

Calling them a successful Rugby League club is like calling McDonalds a world class restaurant. But for that comparison to be fair, the entire restaurant industry would have to be paying for Maccas to exist.

f**king scabs.

& calling a team that bar for one immensely successful era, that has won 4 premierships in 78 seasons a "great" club is mad too... Yet you St George fans seem to have no issue doing that ;-)

----------------

People can go around in circles all they like on this.

Melbourne finished 4th and won the premiership.

St George finished first and lost finals to 8th & 6th
Canterbury finished second, beat 7th and lost to 8th
Gold Coast finished third and lost to 6th & 8th

^ these three clubs, and their inability to perform in September are the sole reason for Melbourne winning the premiership. Nothing else.

nomarg

I understand the long term monetary benefit to the NRL with melbourne being successful.

However the storm will not pay a single cent to the clubs that have subsidised them for more than a decade, and that is wrong.

Gotta see the bigger picture....

Latest posts