What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

T-Boon

Coach
I mean to try to add about 30 minutes to an hour of meditation to my day.
I have always cringed at the thought as just the word always seemed feminine to me. At this point I think I'll get a lot out of it.
Anyone getting anything out of this type of thing.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I have always cringed at the thought as just the word always seemed feminine to me. At this point I think I'll get a lot out of it.
I get bored cleaning my teeth so 30mins to an hour of sitting still is next to impossible for me. I get the most out of high intensity physical activity.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm in mediation with Mrs Gronk almost every day. :)

Oh, meditation ? No, have not tried that. :p

Stagger eel

Staff member
Hey guys I hope you’re all well..

its taken me sometime to add something to this thread but felt it’s now time to bite the bullet..

as many of you know, I had been a regular on this wonderful platform for many years but over the last few years of more or less decided to take a step back, I’ve enjoyed everyone’s contribution and the discussion about our dearly beloveds have been awesome no matter what side of the fence you sit.

So at the start of Covid pandemic I started a marriage with my second wife however within months I had a mental breakdown Due to pressures at work restrictions that were forced upon us, whilst I got over that, I had the added tragedy of my mother passing 3 days after my 50th birthday, whilst trying to get over that i was the diagnosed with bowel cancer which was thankfully a low stage diagnosis but still spent a year recovering after 2 major operations, I think recovered fully By February 2022 only to be told by my wife at the time she doesn’t love me anymore…

i spent the majority of the year with deep depression but thankfully with the support of family and friends and several therapy sessions I found myself on the side of that which also meant that I met a wonderful woman 10 months ago whos also been a tower of support.

just when I thought things were really picking up I unfortunately lost my job last week and have been struggling to pick myself up despite going to plenty of interview.

i will get there …I know I will but at the moment, I’m vulnerable scared with the uncertainty of being without a job.

i just thought I’d share this with you and hope to touch base with you again soon.

bless ya’s all and go the mattas!

the phantom menace

First Grade
f**k, Staggs... that's some heavy duty stuff upon stuff you've been dealing with in recent years 😲.

Glad you've got the all clear from cancer, and sorry for the loss of your mum - I know that hits hard at our ages. Credit to you for all the strength you've shown thus far... and keep on turning up for the interviews and some good fortune is bound to fall your way :middle_finger:.

eels_fan

First Grade
That’s a tough trot Stags, but you’ve beaten cancer mate - not a lot of people get to say that - so lean into that strength. You’re a survivor, and stronger than you think!

I know how scary it can be to lose an income (especially if you have dependents as well) and how that mentally f**ks you.

Obviously not aware of what line of work/industry you have experience in, but I found 6 or so years back when I ended up in a similar situation to you (I jumped off the wagon due to my mental health, but i knew I was soon to be pushed anyway) that I took a chance in a completely different industry for my past experiences, and it revitalised my life. Happy home life with the fam, happy in myself. Don’t be afraid to take a chance on something that seems appealing, even if you think “I’m no hope at getting this I’m not qualified/experienced enough” - just go for it. Worst you get is a no which you get by default by not applying.

Hope things turn around for you mate and thanks for sharing

Gronk

Staff member

its taken me sometime to add something to this thread but felt it’s now time to bite the bullet..

as many of you know, I had been a regular on this wonderful platform for many years but over the last few years of more or less decided to take a step back, I’ve enjoyed everyone’s contribution and the discussion about our dearly beloveds have been awesome no matter what side of the fence you sit.

So at the start of Covid pandemic I started a marriage with my second wife however within months I had a mental breakdown Due to pressures at work restrictions that were forced upon us, whilst I got over that, I had the added tragedy of my mother passing 3 days after my 50th birthday, whilst trying to get over that i was the diagnosed with bowel cancer which was thankfully a low stage diagnosis but still spent a year recovering after 2 major operations, I think recovered fully By February 2022 only to be told by my wife at the time she doesn’t love me anymore…

i spent the majority of the year with deep depression but thankfully with the support of family and friends and several therapy sessions I found myself on the side of that which also meant that I met a wonderful woman 10 months ago whos also been a tower of support.

just when I thought things were really picking up I unfortunately lost my job last week and have been struggling to pick myself up despite going to plenty of interview.

i will get there …I know I will but at the moment, I’m vulnerable scared with the uncertainty of being without a job.

i just thought I’d share this with you and hope to touch base with you again soon.

Big love mate. There’s a tower of support here for you.

Gronk

Staff member
I was being a merkin with my first reply.

Ok so no not meditation, but I i have been in situations where I have been in group sessions practicing mindfulness. There have many times in my life where I have been super stressed and overwhelmed by nuclear shit. So that path has lead me to seeking help, someone to hold my hand. Like many in this thread will confirm, when life has served you a shit milkshake, it’s best to share it around. Get yourself a team and surround yourself with good people.

So mindfulness is like meditation only it teaches you to live in the present. Some of us might ruminate, meaning dwell on the past or the future too much. It can consume our days and literally make us sick.

So either in a one to one situation or in a group, a leader like a psychologist will have you sit comfortably and be grounded. Close your eyes and feel the points of contact to the ground. Listen to the sounds outside the room, then bring yourself back to the room. Back and forth. Then a scenario is created, perhaps like being on a beach at night. You put your problems in a lantern and watch it float away. That scenario takes probably 20 mins. Afterwards your problems have literally floated away in that moment.

it might sound lame, but we all have our own habits. Some habits like negative thinking are unhealthy and can be retained. From what I understand unhealthy thought patterns are like a path in the grass. It becomes flattened and the easy or preferred path becomes the go-to thought. You can change that through mindfulness. Mindfulness therapy focuses on learning how to be more aware and to reduce automatic responses. So at the point of going down that well worn path of shoulda coulda woulda, you will prompt yourself to remain in the present.

I don’t know if I have explained my experience very well. Hope so.

1709151305779.jpeg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

sorry to hear that Muz, I really hope things pick up for you, we're here if you need us

Gary Gutful

Post Whore

That’s tough mate. Stay strong. I’m sure something else will come up.

Love that you are posting again on here. Always valued your input.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I was being a merkin with my first reply.

Ok so no not meditation, but I i have been in situations where I have been in group sessions practicing mindfulness. There have many times in my life where I have been super stressed and overwhelmed by nuclear shit. So that path has lead me to seeking help, someone to hold my hand. Like many in this thread will confirm, when life has served you a shit milkshake, it’s best to share it around. Get yourself a team and surround yourself with good people.

So mindfulness is like meditation only it teaches you to live in the present. Some of us might ruminate, meaning dwell on the past or the future too much. It can consume our days and literally make us sick.

So either in a one to one situation or in a group, a leader like a psychologist will have you sit comfortably and be grounded. Close your eyes and feel the points of contact to the ground. Listen to the sounds outside the room, then bring yourself back to the room. Back and forth. Then a scenario is created, perhaps like being on a beach at night. You put your problems in a lantern and watch it float away. That scenario takes probably 20 mins. Afterwards your problems have literally floated away in that moment.

it might sound lame, but we all have our own habits. Some habits like negative thinking are unhealthy and can be retained. From what I understand unhealthy thought patterns are like a path in the grass. It becomes flattened and the easy or preferred path becomes the go-to thought. You can change that through mindfulness. Mindfulness therapy focuses on learning how to be more aware and to reduce automatic responses. So at the point of going down that well worn path of shoulda coulda woulda, you will prompt yourself to remain in the present.

I don’t know if I have explained my experience very well. Hope so.

View attachment 84592
Well put Gronk.

Happy MEel

First Grade

I’m so sorry Staggs, you’re one of the good guys so sad to hear you’re going through this and I hope things are on the up from here.

You’ve sort of inspired me as I’ve only contributed here to offer some tiny bit of support when people share…

But I’d be fraud if I didn’t share. Today I had to say goodbye to my best mate of 15 years. I’m absolutely shattered and heartbroken but it doesn’t compare to the incredible memories we’ve had with Jazzy.

I know things will get better but right now, it’s hard to get past the last 24 hours.

Give your loved ones and pets a cuddle for me.

IMG_4262.jpeg

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I’m so sorry Staggs, you’re one of the good guys so sad to hear you’re going through this and I hope things are on the up from here.

You’ve sort of inspired me as I’ve only contributed here to offer some tiny bit of support when people share…

But I’d be fraud if I didn’t share. Today I had to say goodbye to my best mate of 15 years. I’m absolutely shattered and heartbroken but it doesn’t compare to the incredible memories we’ve had with Jazzy.

I know thing will get better but right now, it’s hard to get past the last 24 hours.

Give your loved ones and pets a cuddle for me.

View attachment 84618
Certified good boy/girl.

Losing woofers is f**ken hard. They are amazing companions.

Shit mate, none of that is good. I really hope it works out. I've been helping a mate who, maybe, has been through about 66% of similar issues (but in a different order) in the same time frame and he wasn't doing so well, but thankfully is now looking up (touch wood). Hang in there. I having nothing more useful to say, but I mean it.