What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

T.S Quint

Coach
Like everyone I have some ups and downs but I try and keep active. Usually lift weights a couple of time per week but nothing gets my mood up like a nice interval run/brisk walk on the treadmill.

Came home and felt a little indifferent. Just burned 500 calories in half an hour. Total of 5km. The heart rate is up and I feel great.

Highly recommend to all of you especially the middle aged grumpy merkins like me.

Exercise definitely helps me.
I go to a personal trainer a couple of times a week. He does his sessions outdoors, which helps even more. It gets me outside and being active. Fresh air, sunshine (usually, sometimes in the rain which I don't mind) and a chat with the trainer along with the cardio and weights and it's like a therapy session in a way.

Last week I was feeing incredibly stressed. I wasn't sleeping well. Kids driving me up the wall. Work was getting to me quite a bit. On Firday I went to a training session and felt so much better afterwards.

Avenger

Immortal
Exercise definitely helps me.
I go to a personal trainer a couple of times a week. He does his sessions outdoors, which helps even more. It gets me outside and being active. Fresh air, sunshine (usually, sometimes in the rain which I don't mind) and a chat with the trainer along with the cardio and weights and it's like a therapy session in a way.

Last week I was feeing incredibly stressed. I wasn't sleeping well. Kids driving me up the wall. Work was getting to me quite a bit. On Firday I went to a training session and felt so much better afterwards.
You obviously weren't wearing your reading glasses during this post. ;)

Gronk

Staff member
Exercise: 30 mins of moderate exercise will produce endorphins that will last up to 12 hours.

You don’t have to be a runner to achieve an elevated heart rate and hold it there for 20 mins +, a power walk will work fine.

The old 10,000 steps is no BS.

In fact a power walk is probably better for middle aged men as it won’t expose them to injury. Get out there and get some vitamin D while you’re at it.

If you are considering going for a run then please don’t be stupid and go from zero to hero. Use a couch to 5km program like this.

The NHS podcast where Laura talks you through sessions with music and encourages you through it, has a strong endorsement following.

The Colonel

Immortal

This is the organisation I volunteer with. Anyone interested or have kids that may be interested in supporting having a Brighter Day coming in to 23rd February you can send them to the link above for more information.

They do really good work.

IFR33K

Coach
Like everyone I have some ups and downs but I try and keep active. Usually lift weights a couple of time per week but nothing gets my mood up like a nice interval run/brisk walk on the treadmill.

Came home and felt a little indifferent. Just burned 500 calories in half an hour. Total of 5km. The heart rate is up and I feel great.

Highly recommend to all of you especially the middle aged grumpy merkins like me.

would love to still be able to use weights but a due to neck/back discs it’s just too painful.

my stress remedy is fishing and cars.

the phantom menace

First Grade
The old 10,000 steps is no BS.

In fact a power walk is probably better for middle aged men as it won’t expose them to injury. Get out there and get some vitamin D while you’re at it.

If you are considering going for a run then please don’t be stupid and go from zero to hero. Use a couch to 5km program like this.

Very true. No point trying to blast out the runs from nowhere if you haven't been active for a while. And I keep hearing/reading of fit middle aged guys carking it during runs and bike rides, when they must've pushed too hard for their tickers.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Very true. No point trying to blast out the runs from nowhere if you haven't been active for a while. And I keep hearing/reading of fit middle aged guys carking it during runs and bike rides, when they must've pushed too hard for their tickers.
I see these merkins all the time running flat out and they look like they are about to keel over at any time. There are better ways to go.

hindy111

Post Whore

I see these merkins all the time running flat out and they look like they are about to keel over at any time. There are better ways to go.

Having sex

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
So - apologies for my earlier blub fest update. Wife and I have reconciled and are trying to make things work. Being apart for a short period was hard for both of us and we’ve realised that we are each other’s best friend and better off together.

Big lesson for me is to not take anyone for granted, least of all someone you see as your life partner. Wish us both luck.

Happy MEel

First Grade
So - apologies for my earlier blub fest update. Wife and I have reconciled and are trying to make things work. Being apart for a short period was hard for both of us and we’ve realised that we are each other’s best friend and better off together.

Big lesson for me is to not take anyone for granted, least of all someone you see as your life partner. Wish us both luck.
Thats awesome Gary and some sage advice for us all. Also no need to apologise, it’s exactly the sort of thing this thread was created for.

Last edited:

Avenger

Immortal

That’s great news. I wish you the best, Gaz.

Rocket man

Juniors

Best of luck to both of you.

Gronk

Staff member

How good ! Yeah I reckon we are all guilty of taking our spouses for granted.

I hope it works out.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

good luck mate, that new rug seems to be paying off