What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal thread \m/

adamkungl

Immortal
It's always a down side of going to metal gigs.. Wankers everywhere. It's a pity that the genre attracts a certain type of person in such large numbers.

Standard youtube comment on metal video "[band] is for old merkins/androtops, [OTHER BAND] IS f**kING AWESOME!"

I was just reading some of the old threads...arguments about what actually qualifies as metal are always amusing :lol:

gUt

Coach
It's always a down side of going to metal gigs.. Wankers everywhere. It's a pity that the genre attracts a certain type of person in such large numbers.

I find the opposite is true, at least for festivals. Soundwave seems to be populated by people who are primarily there to hear music and see bands, whereas your typical dance festival is infested with shirts-off wankers looking for a fight and assorted poseurs.

Zigwaa

Bench
f**k.Yeah.

You ever hear the remix album they did of that... called Remanufacture and it was the biggest peice of horseshit ever invented.

Haha, yeah it was pretty bad. Sadly I have it in my CD collection BUT a friend lent it to me and never retrieved it.

adamkungl

Immortal
kicking the hornets nest...

How do you define metal?
Why is something like System of a Down or Slipknot metal or not-metal to you?
(Yeah, reading old threads, and it's flamebait, but genuinely interested in the discussion because tbh I can't answer this question definitely myself)

woodyk2

First Grade
I'm not really sure where i would put System of a down.Dont mind em but whats their official genre?

snoozer

Bench
favourite bands?
sabbath, zepp, purple, ac/dc, ratm, tool, s.o.a.d., meshuggah, machine head.

favourite genre/styles?
more of a hard rock fan really and haven't listened to much outside of that.don't mind most of it when i do listen.

can't stand...
hiphop and rap.

how did you get into metal?

always liked anything with a crunchy guitar.found s.o.a.d. and tool myself.was in a band with a young bloke(our drummer) who loved all things metal(plus the classics)he loved cradle of filth, meshuggah, nile, 36 crazy fists etc and would give me stuff to listen to.

upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
waiting for tool to tour again.

recommend a band/album!
paranoid - sabbath
highway to hell - ac/dc
aenima - tool
anything by s.o.a.d.

Jason Maher

Immortal
favourite bands?
Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Dream Theater, Judas Priest, Pantera, Iced Earth, Disturbed, Faith No More, Def Leppard, Alice Cooper, Epica, Slayer, Bon Jovi, Trivium, Dragonforce, Sevendust, Anthrax, Guns N' Roses, Avenged Sevenfold, Tourniquet, AC/DC, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Tool, Creed, Alter Bridge

favourite genre/styles?
Thrash, power metal, hair metal, progressive metal

can't stand...
Stuff that is just an indistinguishable hiss

I guess it came from playing guitar and discovering the wonder that is overdrive

None :(

recommend a band/album!
Metallica - Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, Metallica (...And Justice For All and Death Magnetic let down by shoddy production)
Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory (only Dream Theater could make a sequel to a 9 minute song an entire 78 minute album)

How do you define metal?
As broadly as possible. To me, metal is, and should be, a very broad church.

Last edited:
favourite bands?
Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Opeth, Devin Townsend, Turisas, just to name a few.
favourite genre/styles?
Progressive, and 80's, but I get on well with most.
can't stand...
Metalcore, I think it's all called...
From System Of A Down...well...went on from there. Then I met my fianceé, who is also a metal lover.
Soundwave, and the sideshows...Devin Townsend, System Of A Down, Marilyn Manson and Mastodon. So screwed for work that week!
recommend a band/album!
Too many, I'm sorry...

zombie jesus

Staff member
favourite bands?
Tool, Devin Townsend, Meshuggah.

favourite genre/styles?
I like all kinds of shit, I'll listen to most things (not just metal) once before rubbishing it.

can't stand...
Sweaty shirtless dudes in pits.

Punk lead to hardcore lead to metal.

Soundwave etc

recommend a band/album!
Anything by the above mentioned.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Only a matter of time? :sarcasm:

Tbh some of the metal fans you come across on the internet are some of the biggest wankers out. Or maybe that's just standard youtube :lol:

basically it was over what genres bands fall into then the hair band crew got involved and if hair bands are metal, I'll go to Soundwave naked this year

WireMan

Bench
favourite bands?
Black Sabbath, Nevermore, Dio, Fear Factory, Pantera, Machinehead, Korn, RATM, Metallica, Nirvana, Guns N Roses, Type O Negative, Venom.
Probably a few i have forgot.

favourite genre/styles?
Heavy Rock.

can't stand...
Limp wristed songs being described as Rock. (Sum Forty f*cking One).

Stole my Dads Sabbath LP, then bought Appetite for Destruction. A good day.

Rammstein, Dropkick Murphys, Peral Jam, Maybe Donnington Festival.

recommend a band/album!

Sabbath - Paranoid
Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
GnR - Appetite for Destruction
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Nirvana - Nevermind
Korn - Korn
RATM - Battle of Los Angeles (not really metal i know)
Cradle of Filth - Midian. (I know, I shouldn't but i do!!)

How do you define metal?

Songs driven Drum and Base Guitar, with a detuned Lead, and a singer.
Everything else is a sub Genre.
No Keyboard.

The worst thing about metal is goths. I hate them.

They probably hate you to!! ;-)

Goths are fine, its bloody EMO kids i can't stand.

Rainbow - Kill the King is an excellent song...just throwing that out there. I shall listen to more Rainbow if this is any indication

Stargazer is my fave Rainbow song. All good though.

Eelectrica

Referee
favourite bands?
Metallica, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, Dream Theater, Symphony X, Opeth, and I could keep going.

favourite genre/styles?
Classic metal, Thrash, Prog metal (Dream Theater, Sym X), Melodic Death (Amon Amarth, Dark Tranqillity), Some power metal (BG, Iced Earth), Thrash.
can't stand...
Hardcore screamo stuff. Just seems to be a whole lot of noise without purpose. At least act like you know how to sing/play instruments.
Was always curious about metal, checked on Iron Maiden, Slayer and never looked back.

Soundwave, and I really wish Iced Earth didn't give Brisbane a miss.

recommend a band/album!
Devin Townsend Project - Deconstruction
Dark Tranquillity - Fiction
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth
Symphony X - Iconoclast, Paradise Lost.
Metallica - St Anger

adamkungl

Immortal
basically it was over what genres bands fall into then the hair band crew got involved and if hair bands are metal, I'll go to Soundwave naked this year

Hair bands and hard rock bands *were* metal at some dark, depressing point of the 80s. But the genre has evolved so we can conveniently brush them aside into the 'glam' genre...but tbh...grey area.

Latest posts