What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal thread \m/

HevyDevy

Coach
Wasn't it Frenzal Rhomb that had that classic on-air fight with Sandilands?

He told them 2Day FM would never play their music again and they said they didn't give a shit because they were pretty sure 2Day had never played Frenzal before anyway.

redvscotty

First Grade
Yeah, just made Sandilands look like an even bigger idiot (his idiocy grows exponentially every time he opens his mouth).

WireMan

Bench
Black Sabbath > any metal band from the 80's to present

You know we are about to agree about something don't you?!?!

That small tremour you felt was the earth stopping spinning there for a second! :lol:

Everything except some of the mid 80'd stuff was brilliant. I really like the 3 Dio studio albums.

Dont mind Zakk Wylde and his band Black Label Society.

Was at a gid of theres in Manchester a few years back and apparently there logo is very similar to the local motor bike club (slaves of satan or something). Anyways, they turned up on mass and started attacking everyone wearing a T-Shirt with the logo on it.

The gig had to be re arranged when it turned out the Hells Angels were in charge of security at the building and we nearly had a major gang war down Oxford Road!!

Happy days.

Dimmu aren't goth mate.

Incidentally I noticed someone said they didn't like black metal earlier on but I was curious as to what sub-genre they were referring to specifically - traditional Norwegian? Symphonic black metal? Whatever it is Cradle of Filth are classified as? There are a shitload of different types of black metal ...

Mayhem, Burzum, Emperor, Bathory and Immortal are who i class as original Black Metal. Obviously it was Mayhem who started the main sub genre at Helvete his shop.
Venom were credited with creating it, but the band themselves hated being called Black (prob something to do with church burning etc.). Venom were more into Sex, Drugs, and Rock n Roll anyroad.

It all got a bit over produced for my liking. I prefered the raw older stuff like Mysteries dos Sathanus (sp?). A Grand Declearation of War killed my love of Mayhem though.

Then you get bands like Satrycorn (again sp??), Dimmu and Cradle were more pop-Black meatal if that makes sense. Had some kind of Black Metal roots but were easier for people to get into.

Goth stuff is Sisters of Mercy and other classics like that. Basically just think of the Donnie Darko soundtrack.
If you don't like Temple of Love your either dead inside, or deaf. :D

Since when was Ozzy even related to hair metal?

Seriously, check out the vids from the mid 80's. Shot in the dark etc. It was only later he found his goth persona. He was all hair metal. Still kicked ass though. Shows how good Ozzy is.

Wasn't it Frenzal Rhomb that had that classic on-air fight with Sandilands?

I saw Frenzal Rhomb in Manc about 10 years back. Are they actually a proper band in Aus? Never heard of them before or since before reading it in this thread!

It was wierd watching a band with an Aus accent.
"Hey, get off my stage mate" in a Crocodile Dundee voice is my only memory of the whole gig!! :lol:

redvscotty

First Grade
I saw Frenzal Rhomb in Manc about 10 years back. Are they actually a proper band in Aus? Never heard of them before or since before reading it in this thread!

It was wierd watching a band with an Aus accent.
"Hey, get off my stage mate" in a Crocodile Dundee voice is my only memory of the whole gig!! :lol:

Frenzal Rhomb is every Aussies favorite band.

Meet the family is their best album.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Yeah it was called Red prior to Channel V. The had to change the name coz a band (I think it was Frenzal Rhomb) challenged Jabba to come on stage at the Big Day Out and moon the crowd or something which he did, which attracted a lot of criticism :p. He had to apologise and the station changed it's name. Pretty over the top if you ask me. :lol:

I'm so old that I remember when MTV was called ARC on Optus Vision!!

adamkungl

Immortal
Ozzy was never hair, glam, or goth metal... not musically, anyhow. As straightforward classic heavy metal as they come.

HevyDevy

Coach
You know we are about to agree about something don't you?!?!

That small tremour you felt was the earth stopping spinning there for a second! :lol:

Everything except some of the mid 80'd stuff was brilliant. I really like the 3 Dio studio albums.

Was at a gid of theres in Manchester a few years back and apparently there logo is very similar to the local motor bike club (slaves of satan or something). Anyways, they turned up on mass and started attacking everyone wearing a T-Shirt with the logo on it.

The gig had to be re arranged when it turned out the Hells Angels were in charge of security at the building and we nearly had a major gang war down Oxford Road!!

Happy days.

Mayhem, Burzum, Emperor, Bathory and Immortal are who i class as original Black Metal. Obviously it was Mayhem who started the main sub genre at Helvete his shop.
Venom were credited with creating it, but the band themselves hated being called Black (prob something to do with church burning etc.). Venom were more into Sex, Drugs, and Rock n Roll anyroad.

It all got a bit over produced for my liking. I prefered the raw older stuff like Mysteries dos Sathanus (sp?). A Grand Declearation of War killed my love of Mayhem though.

Then you get bands like Satrycorn (again sp??), Dimmu and Cradle were more pop-Black meatal if that makes sense. Had some kind of Black Metal roots but were easier for people to get into.

Goth stuff is Sisters of Mercy and other classics like that. Basically just think of the Donnie Darko soundtrack.
If you don't like Temple of Love your either dead inside, or deaf. :D

Seriously, check out the vids from the mid 80's. Shot in the dark etc. It was only later he found his goth persona. He was all hair metal. Still kicked ass though. Shows how good Ozzy is.

Yeah I'm big into my black metal and particularly my Norwegian black metal. Ironically I've never been much of a Mayhem fan but love Immortal, Emperor and darkthrone. Varg is a bit love and hate - I would NEVER play it to anyone that wasn't hugely into metal - but the track det some en gang var is a classic. Too bad he was a headcase.

Bathory - A Fine Day to Die. Enough said.

As for Ozzy, I know that he had big hair during the Randy Rhoads era but stylistically he was never hair metal.

Incidentally, I've spent a bit of time with Zakk Wylde on a few occasions and he is a very interesting man. Intense at times, particularly since Dimebag's death which really rattled him, but also a lovely bloke. Always gives you a hug and says 'Keep well brother' when you leave.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
favourite bands?
Autopsy, Wolves in the Throne Room, Esoteric, Altar of Plagues, Ulcerate, Primordial, Dark Angel, Type o Negative shitloads of others...

favourite genre/styles?
Black, old-school death, post-death/black, funeral doom, old-school thrash, pretty much anything noisy and ugly or anything f**king extreme or experimental

can't stand...
Nu-metal, metalcore, hair metal, euro-goth stuff

how did you get into metal?

Started listening to mates older brother's AC/DC tapes, bought some metal magazines and pretty much just kept moving on to more and more extreme and underground shit, progression went something like AC/DC>Maiden>Metallica>Slayer>Sepultura>Death etc etc

upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
Nothing much right now... but Absu and Portal were amazing last weekend

recommend a band/album!
Primordial: Redemption at the Puritan's Hand
Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All
Altar of Plagues - Mammal

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Just loaded up my phone with albums from bands Im interested in checking out at Soundwave:
Alter Bridge, Bad Religion, Black Dahlia Murder, Black Label Society, Chimaira, CKY, ADTR, Devin Townsend, Dillinger Escape Plan, Gojira, Holy Grail, In Flames, Kverlertak, Lamb of God, Mastodon, Meshuggah, Paradise Lost, Shadows Fall, Slipknot, Steel Panther,SOAD, Trivium, Watain

HevyDevy

Coach
favourite bands?
Autopsy, Wolves in the Throne Room, Esoteric, Altar of Plagues, Ulcerate, Primordial, Dark Angel, Type o Negative shitloads of others...

favourite genre/styles?
Black, old-school death, post-death/black, funeral doom, old-school thrash, pretty much anything noisy and ugly or anything f**king extreme or experimental

can't stand...
Nu-metal, metalcore, hair metal, euro-goth stuff

how did you get into metal?

Started listening to mates older brother's AC/DC tapes, bought some metal magazines and pretty much just kept moving on to more and more extreme and underground shit, progression went something like AC/DC>Maiden>Metallica>Slayer>Sepultura>Death etc etc

upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
Nothing much right now... but Absu and Portal were amazing last weekend

recommend a band/album!
Primordial: Redemption at the Puritan's Hand
Ulcerate - The Destroyers of All
Altar of Plagues - Mammal

I like your style.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
hahaha Melon has the exact same musical tastes as my dad....they also both hate the greens. I hope Melon isn't my dad because that would be weird.

I am not as into metal as I used to be. I pretty much just judge music on a case by case basis but here is a list

Favourite Bands

Agalloch, Cult of Luna, Blind Guardian, Torche, Orphaned Land, Ulver (depending on the time period), Wolves in the throne room (i loved the latest album),.

Favourite Genre

Don't really have a genre. I just like anything that is interesting and catches my attention. I like nice melody and I like atmosphere. I like anything fast and driven or something that builds up to something.

Can't stand

Anything that is boring. I also hate wankery on the guitar for the sake of it. Not a huge fan of progressive metal like dream theatre because as admirable as it is its just boring.

How did you get into metal

My dad listens to metal.

recommend a band/album!

Agalloch-Ashes Against the Grain. Download it NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
NIce to see a bit of WITTR love in this thread, they're awesome. I doubt your dad likes them though Pete, given what massive greenies they are ;)

Check out Altar of Plagues, judging by your tastes they'd be right up your alley. Long, epic drawn out post-black metal type stuff.

Last edited:

melon....

Coach
hahaha Melon has the exact same musical tastes as my dad....they also both hate the greens. I hope Melon isn't my dad because that would be weird.

I am not as into metal as I used to be. I pretty much just judge music on a case by case basis but here is a list

Favourite Bands

Agalloch, Cult of Luna, Blind Guardian, Torche, Orphaned Land, Ulver (depending on the time period), Wolves in the throne room (i loved the latest album),.

Favourite Genre

Don't really have a genre. I just like anything that is interesting and catches my attention. I like nice melody and I like atmosphere. I like anything fast and driven or something that builds up to something.

Can't stand

Anything that is boring. I also hate wankery on the guitar for the sake of it. Not a huge fan of progressive metal like dream theatre because as admirable as it is its just boring.

How did you get into metal

My dad listens to metal.

recommend a band/album!

Agalloch-Ashes Against the Grain. Download it NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
Your dad and I probably grew up in the same era.....your dad sounds like a decent bloke. I couldnt be your dad because if you were my son, Id commit either murder or sucide. Eternal Shame...........good name for a metal band!

Last edited:

Latest posts