What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Millward's delivers a world of pain.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Yesterday gave a glimpse of 2018 without Dugan. Our backs lost their way without Dugan's toughness and direction. Millward's odd ball approach, to pay Dugan centre's money even though he almost played every game at fullback and we have no genuine fullback waiting in the wings to take over the fullback position. Couple this with Packer getting out to join another basket case in West Tigers. Millward has no credibility and this will see players resistance to sign with the Dragons. Welcome to the 2018 season and beyond.

I have no problem with Dugan going, if reports are correct he wanted Tedesco, Slater, Moylan type money when he's not that type of player.......having said that he'll proberbly win the Dally M next year at the Sharks.

What I do have a problem with is the muppets running the club saying they won't sign a fullback because we have plenty of young players ready to step up.
But then when Dugan is out hurt or on origin duty they never give the young guys a go, you can't step up if your never shown the stairs.

matPORTS

Juniors
I think it's still too early to make any calls about what 2018 will be like... but yes the signs at this point aren't good. But in saying that, the jersey is well and truly up for grabs for anyone wanting it.

Whether it's Dufty or Field, or anyone else internally or from outside the club, they are going to need to finish the year strong (whether it's in first grade or reserve grade) and then be prepared to absolutely rip in during the pre-season.

mobels

Juniors
Yesterday gave a glimpse of 2018 without Dugan. Our backs lost their way without Dugan's toughness and direction. Millward's odd ball approach, to pay Dugan centre's money even though he almost played every game at fullback and we have no genuine fullback waiting in the wings to take over the fullback position. Couple this with Packer getting out to join another basket case in West Tigers. Millward has no credibility and this will see players resistance to sign with the Dragons. Welcome to the 2018 season and beyond.
The plan's never been to have Nightingale at fullback next year, its the worst case scenario. Having said that while he's no were near as good as Dugan in defensive situations were looking for replacements who can create try scoring opportunities which is what our team needs.

Packer ran 24 metres last week and 45 metres today in a total of 108 minutes of game time. That show's again that Millward was right in not giving him a 4 year contract because quite clearly his body is not up to playing the power game all season.

Just because we don't have a suitable replacement for Dugan next season yet, doesn't mean that we should be held hostage into paying him overs to keep him at fullback. Had Millward lived by that mantra, we would have made a panic buy to replace Mike Cooper last season (instead of getting Vaughan) and we would have had Benji for a couple more seasons and never had been able to sign Hunt.

Not one other club wanted him at fullback and he's gone to the Sharks to play centre.

Yesterday gave a glimpse of 2018 without Dugan. Our backs lost their way without Dugan's toughness and direction.

Yesterday was a glimpse at 2015, in which Dugan played every game at fullback so no, the backs didn't suddenly play shit because Dugan wasn't at fullback. Go back and watch the Manly and Warriors game this year in which our backs excelled without Dugan (not saying that this is because Dugan wasn't there, saying that Dugan isn't needed to for our backs to play like superstars)

Last edited:

Saint Angelo

Juniors
I have no problem with Dugan going, if reports are correct he wanted Tedesco, Slater, Moylan type money when he's not that type of player.......having said that he'll proberbly win the Dally M next year at the Sharks.

What I do have a problem with is the muppets running the club saying they won't sign a fullback because we have plenty of young players ready to step up.
But then when Dugan is out hurt or on origin duty they never give the young guys a go, you can't step up if your never shown the stairs.

Dugan is one of the top 13 players in NSW so we should have paid him around the $1M.

Last time I checked Ben Hunt is not exactly equivalent to Cooper Cronk either but we still signed him for $1.2M.

jeffdragon

Bench
We should get someone,but knowing us we wont .
Walker Gordon on the market .
Dufty ?
Im not sure how he is going
But the cutters have been up and down ,
Flo is good but getting on
Lets get through this season and shit run at the moment

Slippery Morris

First Grade
WOW, Some people want the Dragons to give juniors a go and when they plan to do so or are bagged for doing so. They can't win. Saints have 2 outstanding ones for next season. Field and Dufty are the future not Dugan. Get over it. If it comes off which hopefully it should then happy days. Get over this paying Dugan overs to play half to 3/4's of a season.

This year is a the year Saints should give these young guys a run which they are in Sele who looked so good yesterday but not giving juniors a go in the halves. Forget McCrone. He is not in the side til the end of the year. He is a good bench backup for half or hooker. Mann/FIeld should be given a crack at the No.7.

St Georgio

Juniors
WOW, Some people want the Dragons to give juniors a go and when they plan to do so or are bagged for doing so. They can't win. Saints have 2 outstanding ones for next season. Field and Dufty are the future not Dugan. Get over it. If it comes off which hopefully it should then happy days. Get over this paying Dugan overs to play half to 3/4's of a season.

This year is a the year Saints should give these young guys a run which they are in Sele who looked so good yesterday but not giving juniors a go in the halves. Forget McCrone. He is not in the side til the end of the year. He is a good bench backup for half or hooker. Mann/FIeld should be given a crack at the No.7.
Sele was very good when he came on , some huge hits, he could be the next cement gillispie, but knowing how well Millward is travelling he'll probably end up at the Dogs!

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Mess

Old Timer

Coach
The plan's never been to have Nightingale at fullback next year, its the worst case scenario. Having said that while he's no were near as good as Dugan in defensive situations were looking for replacements who can create try scoring opportunities which is what our team needs.

Packer ran 24 metres last week and 45 metres today in a total of 108 minutes of game time. That show's again that Millward was right in not giving him a 4 year contract because quite clearly his body is not up to playing the power game all season.

Just because we don't have a suitable replacement for Dugan next season yet, doesn't mean that we should be held hostage into paying him overs to keep him at fullback. Had Millward lived by that mantra, we would have made a panic buy to replace Mike Cooper last season (instead of getting Vaughan) and we would have had Benji for a couple more seasons and never had been able to sign Hunt.

Not one other club wanted him at fullback and he's gone to the Sharks to play centre.

Yesterday was a glimpse at 2015, in which Dugan played every game at fullback so no, the backs didn't suddenly play shit because Dugan wasn't at fullback. Go back and watch the Manly and Warriors game this year in which our backs excelled without Dugan (not saying that this is because Dugan wasn't there, saying that Dugan isn't needed to for our backs to play like superstars)
Another pro club propaganda statement.
1. You have no idea where the Sharks will play Dugan so come back to me when you know.
2. Now people having a go at Packer did you cheer him 4 weeks ago when he was in good form? Obviously he is a bit busted at the moment but our cock head coach came up with the power game plan, well now you reap the seeds he sowed.
3. If you want try scoring opportunities don't leave it to the FB he just adds extras if and when he can. The halves are the creative players on a constant basis so stop blaming Dugan for the impotency of the attack. It is impotent because we have a shit half who has a mortgage on the position due to the coach we just appointed for 2 more years. It is also impotent because he keeps deflecting JDB into a ball playing role which clearly impedes the side. JDB is at his best when he just runs hard and straight with the odd offload. He has been diverted from that and we are the poorer for it.
4. With or without Dugan tell me when we scored long range tries? There is 1 or 2 instances in the past 4 years but our backs are pedestrian and couldn't run out of sight on dark night. You say Dugan isn't needed for our backs to play like superstars you are probably correct because they are incapable of doing it on regular basis (which is what superstars do) with or without Dugan so get it right we don't have a superstar backline.
5. You want to applaud Millward for letting go 2 internationals and by the way you do have to pay big bucks to have them these days and you somehow think we will be better off for letting them go. You like many others try to equate the argument surrounding Dugan & Packer to the money involved which indicates to me if they had of come at low $$$ you would have been happy to keep them and that is where the argument is severely flawed. None of you have come out and said let them go regardless of how much or little they want, you all go for the they're not worth X $$$ excuse. A good recruitment person (of which Millward is not one) would have said "The club is changing its roster and direction so we will not be tabling any offer to Dugan & Packer". Instead we have we tabled them offers they didn't accept them and then people come out and call them greedy which is ridiculous because we created the mess.
By the way have a look at the replays and tell me when the defence looks better with or without Dugan but people conveniently blame him for other people's ineptitude, lack of of foresight, lack of speed, shit house kicking which are really individual skills but he sure does get the busted arse backs a lot better in defence than when he is not playing.

mobels

Juniors
1. You have no idea where the Sharks will play Dugan so come back to me when you know.
2. Now people having a go at Packer did you cheer him 4 weeks ago when he was in good form? Obviously he is a bit busted at the moment but our c**k head coach came up with the power game plan, well now you reap the seeds he sowed.
3. If you want try scoring opportunities don't leave it to the FB he just adds extras if and when he can. The halves are the creative players on a constant basis so stop blaming Dugan for the impotency of the attack. It is impotent because we have a shit half who has a mortgage on the position due to the coach we just appointed for 2 more years. It is also impotent because he keeps deflecting JDB into a ball playing role which clearly impedes the side. JDB is at his best when he just runs hard and straight with the odd offload. He has been diverted from that and we are the poorer for it.
4. With or without Dugan tell me when we scored long range tries? There is 1 or 2 instances in the past 4 years but our backs are pedestrian and couldn't run out of sight on dark night. You say Dugan isn't needed for our backs to play like superstars you are probably correct because they are incapable of doing it on regular basis (which is what superstars do) with or without Dugan so get it right we don't have a superstar backline.
5. You want to applaud Millward for letting go 2 internationals and by the way you do have to pay big bucks to have them these days and you somehow think we will be better off for letting them go. You like many others try to equate the argument surrounding Dugan & Packer to the money involved which indicates to me if they had of come at low $$$ you would have been happy to keep them and that is where the argument is severely flawed. None of you have come out and said let them go regardless of how much or little they want, you all go for the they're not worth X $$$ excuse. A good recruitment person (of which Millward is not one) would have said "The club is changing its roster and direction so we will not be tabling any offer to Dugan & Packer". Instead we have we tabled them offers they didn't accept them and then people come out and call them greedy which is ridiculous because we created the mess.
By the way have a look at the replays and tell me when the defence looks better with or without Dugan but people conveniently blame him for other people's ineptitude, lack of of foresight, lack of speed, shit house kicking which are really individual skills but he sure does get the busted arse backs a lot better in defence than when he is not playing.
There's nothing regarding my statement that is club propaganda. In a world in which their is a salary cap we can't afford to keep a limited fullback within our team at 1 million a season for 4 years. There is absolutely 0 chance we'll ever excel pass the middle of the table in which we've been stuck in the past 6 years.

1. I gurantee you that Dugan will be playing in the right centre role at the Sharks as they've invested even more money into Holmes and he's improving at a rapid rate.

2. I'm not having a go at Packer what so ever, I'm pointing towards the fact that his stats suggest it was a good idea not to match his offer of $700k for 4 years because he's already busted 14 rounds in of a possible 30 round season. We don't need players that can only last half a season at such a high rate. You bang on about the fact that we need to keep players like Lawrie, Host and Sele and give them game time but that's impossible when you keep players at such a high rate for such a long period of time. I'm not here to get in an argument about the coach because it's known that he's out of his depth but the game plan he did formulate for the first half of the season did work.

3. The last 7 years of grand final winners featured fullbacks who can ballplay, you quite simply cannot tell me that's a strange coincidence. The games changed and a ball playing fullback is now needed at the back.

4. We don't score long range tries which i've stated, the only players with a bit of toe in the backline is Widdop and Macdonald but their not overly quick. I am saying that Dugan isn't needed for our backs to play like superstars because their has been games in which they've excelled greatly, i've never said or stated that our backline is any good but in situations this year they've looked amazing. Having Dugan in or out of it has made no bearing on their performance in which can be seen in the Warriors and Manly game. Don't put words in my mouth.

5. I applaud Millward because he's given us our best recruitment haul since Bennett arrived here, whether he's right or wrong is up for debate in later seasons. With the blokes we had we've been nothing but perennial cellar dwellers. I'm happy for my opinion to be wrong in the future and i'll happily admit that I was wrong if it turned out that it was a massive mistake for us to lose Dugan.

Yes our defence does look worse without Dugan, but again Nightingale set up a try which Dugan would have been incapable of creating. If were able to develop Dufty, Field, Masters or bring in an external recruit who can ball-play and be at least 70% good defensively as Dugan we'd look much better as a team.

Old Timer

Coach
mobels
Nightingale set up 1 try in a losing side FFS so what. If he had of set up 2 tries and we won then quote it to me. You say Dugan couldn't have set it up well he might have all scored it (much bigger body) but we will never know.
You applaud Millward for 2 purchases Vaughan & Mc Innes (ok with that) but what about spending well and truly overs on a 7 that has not made SOO is about 4th in line and we pay more than Cronk and has made a mess of our cap and to get him we had to let 2 internationals go. Well if that needs applauding it can only be for being part of the comedy festival.
You refer to letting Packer go being a good decision due the wear and tear from the power game, well if I am not mistaken Packer is one hard nut and very tough so doesn't that tell you that all our other forwards will suffer similar ongoing wear and tear?
Is Mc Donald a Millward recruit if so put him in the dud column?
All this talk we will look better as a team with a ball playing FB is just hypothetical. We have a very pedestrian set of backs even if the FB gave them the ball they will get run down very quickly because they are the slowest set of backs anywhere in the comp and the very reason why the coach insists on a power game.
On form Mann is the only player likely to score from 60m if he was put through a hole.

Drag Queen

Bench
2. Now people having a go at Packer did you cheer him 4 weeks ago when he was in good form? Obviously he is a bit busted at the moment but our c**k head coach came up with the power game plan, well now you reap the seeds he sowed.
Well that novella was interesting and you called me ambiguous lol. Good one Einstein and who do you suggest as replacements? Are you actually promoting the young ones or do you want proper FG players. SMH

Crescent dragon

Juniors

Totally agree. I think Field should be given the no 7, take the heat off Widdop as he will have the opposition 2nd guessing. Widdop is now under the same pressure he was last year with Mcrone as useless as Marshall.
At least give it a go, it may just work!!!

getsmarty

Immortal
Totally agree. I think Field should be given the no 7, take the heat off Widdop as he will have the opposition 2nd guessing. Widdop is now under the same pressure he was last year with Mcrone as useless as Marshall.

Or try Mann or Nona at half...

Drag Queen

Bench
Have you seen his hog ball ways and his useless defence. Not to mention dropped balls, getting thrown out of the sidelines. So off the mark mate. Mann can do the job 100 times better. Nona could do it also.

saintm

Juniors

Mann for sure. Field not ready after watching him play in ressies