What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movies that were panned by audiences/critics that you loved

Timbo

Staff member
Better than Cobra?

My favourite fun fact about Cobra;

It was based on a book. Stallone thought that the adaptation made the book more famous, so he sued to try and get his name placed on the book as an author.

T.S Quint

Coach
The Star Wars prequels. They were enjoyable and the way they connected to the originals was serviceable. The people who hate it tend to be the ones that hold on to nostalgia for too long.

Or they could just tend to dislike movies with awful storytelling, shitty dialogue and overuse of CGI.
But maybe that's just me.

T.S Quint

Coach
Copland - Stellar cast of DeNiro, Stallone, Keitel, Liotta. Even though Stallone was nominated for an Academy Award I recall some of the critics saying he was out of his depth. This is why critics are as*holes. Stallone was brilliant as was Liotta.
One scene has Stallone talking to a woman, Annabella Sciorra, whose life he had saved many years earlier(and who he loved) only for her to marry someone else.
Sciorra - 'how come you never got married Freddie'
Stallone - 'all the good girls were taken'
Powerful stuff and Stallone is simply perfect in his delivery.

Watch it if you haven't.

I loved Copland.
I don't think Stallone was nominated for an Academy Award for it though.
Stallone can act when he wants to. Rocky and Copland are good examples of this. It might just be that he got paired with good directors who knew how to use him on these movies.

Life's Good

Coach
I loved Copland.
I don't think Stallone was nominated for an Academy Award for it though.
Stallone can act when he wants to. Rocky and Copland are good examples of this. It might just be that he got paired with good directors who knew how to use him on these movies.
You're right about the AA nomination. I now remember his brother blasting the panel for Stallone missing the Oscar for Creed and said they screwed him as they did with Copland.

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach
Copland - Stellar cast of DeNiro, Stallone, Keitel, Liotta. Even though Stallone was nominated for an Academy Award I recall some of the critics saying he was out of his depth. This is why critics are as*holes. Stallone was brilliant as was Liotta.
One scene has Stallone talking to a woman, Annabella Sciorra, whose life he had saved many years earlier(and who he loved) only for her to marry someone else.
Sciorra - 'how come you never got married Freddie'
Stallone - 'all the good girls were taken'
Powerful stuff and Stallone is simply perfect in his delivery.

Watch it if you haven't.

Absolutely love Copland, very underrated.

T.S Quint

Coach
The War of The Worlds - Tom Cruise
Unbreakable - M Night Shimalama

I think Unbreakable was underrated at the time of its release simply because it had come straight off the back of The Sixth Sense, and it wasn't what people expected.
Now it seems to be more regarded as a very good movie by most people. It seems that people have come around to it more over the last decade or so, and hold it up pretty highly when talking about Shyamalan's work.

War of the Worlds, though not one of Spielberg's best, is still a very good movie.
That scene where Dakota Fanning walks down to the river, sees one body float by...and then hundreds of other bodies follow it was just done so well. Love that scene.
I think people rate it a bit low because it seems to take a detour when he meets with Tim Robbins. That whole sequence is done very well in my mind, but I can see how some would think it stalls the movie.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Fair enough, I loved the premise.

"They took one our best and turned him against us"

But then he fargs them up.

T.S Quint

Coach
Fair enough, I loved the premise.

"They took one our best and turned him against us"

But then he fargs them up.

Wait...are we talking about the same movie?
The Oblivion I'm thinking of doesn't have that premise. The Tom Cruise movie?

Danish

Referee
Edge of Tomorrow.

I know now the movie is critically acclaimed, but when it first released it bombed so hard in the US they had to change the name of it just to try and break even on the international release such was the stink surrounding the movie.

Seeing how good this movie actually is and then subsequently reading about how no one in the US wanted to see it cemented my thoughts on american audiences being idiots

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Edge of Tomorrow.

I know now the movie is critically acclaimed, but when it first released it bombed so hard in the US they had to change the name of it just to try and break even on the international release such was the stink surrounding the movie.

Seeing how good this movie actually is and then subsequently reading about how no one in the US wanted to see it cemented my thoughts on american audiences being idiots
I enjoyed this very much.

Reactions: PJ

T-Boon

Coach
Yep Edge of Tom was awesome.
They tried to do something similar with a Jake Gyllanhal movie released recently (the name of which I can't be bothered to recall) but just not as clever or as good in any way.

T.S Quint

Coach
Yep Edge of Tom was awesome.
They tried to do something similar with a Jake Gyllanhal movie released recently (the name of which I can't be bothered to recall) but just not as clever or as good in any way.

Source Code.
It came out years before Edge of Tomorrow, and is quite good.
Just the ending annoyed me.

vvvrulz

Coach
Source Code.
It came out years before Edge of Tomorrow, and is quite good.
Just the ending annoyed me.

I can never take Source Code seriously because of it's amazingly bad plot holes.
Suspending disbelief is perfectly normal, but this just makes no sense whatsoever.

T-Boon

Coach
Source Code.
It came out years before Edge of Tomorrow

Really? I thought it was released in the last year and was therefore an imitation of EoT and to a lesser extent Groundhog Day. My mistake.
I also thought the actress in it was the 'under rated' Amy Smart but it turns out it was some hot piece named Michelle Monaghan.