What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mundine eyes return to the NRL. Just another publicity stunt.

DC_fan

Coach
Mundine has been rather quiet for a while now. No real chance of any self-promotion. That is until now.

Boxer Anthony Mundine’s secret meeting with St George Illawarra boss Peter Doust about NRL return

IT would be the most extraordinary comeback in rugby league history but Anthony Mundine is deadly serious about wearing the St George Illawarra jersey again.

So serious that the boxer and his manager Khoder Nasser met Dragons chief executive Peter Doust in a Kogarah coffee shop on Tuesday to ask for a shot at it.

According to a witness, they spoke for well over an hour.

The plan is to play in an Aboriginal knockout tournament in October and take it from there.

Almost 17 years after he left rugby league to become a three-time world boxing champion, the 42-year-old somehow still thinks he can match it with the best of them.

Like he did in the old days against Laurie Daley, Brad Fittler and Matty Johns.

Mundine played three State of Origin games for NSW despite the red-hot competition for the Blues’ No. 6 jersey. He is six years older than the NRL’s oldest player, Cronulla skipper Paul Gallen.

North Sydney Bears star Billy Wilson was the oldest player in history at 40 years of age in 1957.

Mundine claimed his meeting with Doust was not all about his own comeback.

“I’ve got a lot of young boys who have never had a proper opportunity,” Mundine said. “So I’m trying to get St George to give them the chance they deserve.”

Still, the former five-eighth, who was one of the game’s most flamboyant players, says he is still hoping to make a comeback

“I’ve played in the Aboriginal knockout before and it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever played in, even when I was 21,” he said.

“I’m training to increase my speed now to prepare. I’ll see how I go and then talk to the Dragons again about the off-season.”

Originally the plan was for Mundine to play for the Dragons in the Auckland Nines. Now that the tournament has been abandoned, he refuses to give up hope.

Doust will talk to coach Paul McGregor before taking it any further.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n/news-story/cb52640bcb765f6d836a240769ccaaaf

Was Mundine the witness?

no name

Coach
Must be a slow week, and they've run out of things to say about the Titans.

Edit: Kent actually said that the Titans thing was a God send for journos as there's a lull in this part of the season.

El Diablo

Post Whore
0461dc98cfb91a7e65369cddb63e31e7

Grail

Juniors
First of all though, I want to see him win a King of the Ring with Connor McGregor, Floyd Mayweather, Danny Green, Mike Tyson, Bruce Lee, The Incredible Hulk, Homer Simpson, Mr Magoo, and Jesus.

T-Boon

Coach
He would be welcome in B-League.
He is a character. He brings personality. Those traits aren't welcome in the NRL but B-League - yup.
That merkin manager of his not so much.

grouch

First Grade
Arghhh damn I hate Mundine and his annoying attention-seeking! I hate it so much that I can't wait to click on the article, share it with my friends and make sure we all talk about how sick to death we are of Mundine again and again!

mxlegend99

Referee
Im sure Dragons fans would love to have him back. He could push Hunt to 9 and replace Josh McCrone