What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name your best team since 1980

JJ

Immortal
no love for the great teams of the 80s?

I'm surprised Chris Mortimer, Peter Kelly, Peter Tunks, Paul Langmack David Gillespie, Paul Dunn etc aren't featured more/at all - people seem to be (rightly) chucking Steve Mortimer in... those teams were fantastic

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
How come people (even Dogs fans) always say Barba was a 1-season wonder? Wasn't he outstanding in 2011 and 2012?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I might be looking in the past with rose coloured glasses, but i thought SBW was better as a Bulldog than a Rooster.

He was more athletic, more mobile... and i lost count how many times he'd draw in the winger and off load too a wide open El Masri! Plus he could do shoulder chargers back in the day :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkwcK2UVs0k

I think there is some truth in this.

I can sort of understand SBW being left out of a team like this on the basis of being unavailable too often- only played 70-odd games in 4 1/2 seasons didn't he? But he'd make my team for sure.

I subscribe to the view that when available for the Dogs he was outstanding- not just "heading towards his potential", but already outstanding. In 2004 he only played 15 games with a big injury break in the middle, but still had a huge impact. In 2007 he was the best back-rower in the game. During those handful of games he played in 2008 I reckon he was clearly a class above.

The big difference I notice is that SBW at the Roosters seems to have lost a yard of pace- he was a genuine speedster backrower for the Dogs who could actually get outside his man and make a linebreak, but I suspect injuries and wear and tear have caught up with him and he can't quite do that anymore.

The first version of SBW was more of a freak who still had the physical presence and the skills, but had a little more athleticism to put himself in a position where he could use his footwork or offloads. He's still an elite athlete but a bit less freakish now.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
2011 he was good, 2012 he was simply outstanding.

2013, a puddle of vomit would've played better.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
As for fullback, Luke Patten is a walk-up start in any modern Bulldogs team, well ahead of Barba.

TheFrog

Coach
1: Ben Barba (please dont hurt me)
2: Hasim El Masri
3: Josh Morris
4: Nigel Vagana
5: Daryl Halligan
6: Terry Lamb
7: Steve Mortimer
8: Dean Pay
9: Jason Hethrington
10: James Graham
11: Darren Smith
12: Steve Price
13: Jim Dymock
14: Craig Poller Mounter
15: Mark O'Meley
16: Willie Mason
17: Darren Britt

It hurts me to say, but I think Ben Barba was our best fullback over that last couple of decades...all be it for 1 season. The General was a solid player and a great club man, but he wasn't the attacking weapon like Barba. Hell Barba isn't even the attacking weapon he was. Maybe I got this one wrong, but I'll stick to my guns.

I'd have either Hazem or Halligan, but not both. Prefer the former. Chris Anderson on the other wing, and Chris Mortimer for Morris. Also Greg Brentnall in the 1.

Last edited:

Packy

Bench
How come people (even Dogs fans) always say Barba was a 1-season wonder? Wasn't he outstanding in 2011 and 2012?

He was still learning his place in 11. Still had points in him but in 12 his defence stepped up, his effort was 80 mins. He was focused.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Didn't he score 20-odd tries in 2011? I think even with defensive lapses that you have to say that's a pretty damn good season.

Packy

Bench
As I said. It was the rest of his game that stepped up. His attack was never a problem.

dubbo teacher

Juniors
Brentnall
El Masri
Chris Mortimer
Josh Morris
Chris Anderson
Lamb
Mortimer
Graham
Hethrington
Tunks
Gillespie
Pay
SBW

Jason Smith
Price
O'Meley
Asatasi

GW.

Juniors
1. Rocket Rod Silva
2. Jason Williams
3. Josh Morris
4. Darren Smith
5. Matt Utai
6. Lamb
7. Thurston (best player in the game at present) but if we are solely talking bulldog form then mortimer
8.Graham
9. Hetherington/Ennis
10. Steve Price
11. Sonny Bill Williams
12. Willie Mason
13. Gary Warburton

Also special mention to many dogs forwards over this time;
Jason Smith
Pritchard
Gillespie
Pay
O'Meley
Britt.

And also in the backline, massive mention to Barba,Reynolds, Hokko, Polly.

I didnt add El Masri and Halligan because apart from the goalkicking prowess they were simply average first graders at best.

dubbo teacher

Juniors
GW- you obviously didn't see Canterbury play in the 1980s. Just to let you know they made 6 GFs and won 4 between '79-88. Origin/test players throughout their teams and the toughest brand of football seen in the last 40 years. Blokes like Tunks, Gillespe, Kelly, Chris Mortimer, Battese, Bugden.
If you saw them you wouldn't be able to find a place for Silva, Gary Warburton or Jason Williams I can tell you.
Peter Tunks was their forward leader and a test/origin regular - the equivalent to Matt Scott today. And Chris Mortimer - ask Mal Meninga who he least liked to play against in origin - he'll tell you C. Mortimer. Test/rep matches likewise for Chris Anderson and Greg Brentnall.
From these days though how is it that none of you could find a place for Asatasi? Souths are sure glad he went there...

Last edited:

Packy

Bench
f**kin hell I only just saw Gary Warburton listed haha.

I was one of his biggest fans but let's be real, he wasn't at the same level as the best Dogs team of any generation.

GW.

Juniors
GW- you obviously didn't see Canterbury play in the 1980s. Just to let you know they made 6 GFs and won 4 between '79-88. Origin/test players throughout their teams and the toughest brand of football seen in the last 40 years. Blokes like Tunks, Gillespe, Kelly, Chris Mortimer, Battese, Bugden.
If you saw them you wouldn't be able to find a place for Silva, Gary Warburton or Jason Williams I can tell you.
Peter Tunks was their forward leader and a test/origin regular - the equivalent to Matt Scott today. And Chris Mortimer - ask Mal Meninga who he least liked to play against in origin - he'll tell you C. Mortimer. Test/rep matches likewise for Chris Anderson and Greg Brentnall.
From these days though how is it that none of you could find a place for Asatasi? Souths are sure glad he went there...

YEAH I PROBABLY SEMI CONCEDE DEFEAT HERE. MY 80s kowldge aint great. although i did say that canterbury did have top notch packs.

Must say though- who tops willo on the wing and silva at the back from that era?
outside backs have never been a canterbury focus and it shows.
i remember seeing jonathan ford and thinking his fleet of foot was a breath of fresh air. and hes hardly darius boyd quality.

In fact, theres always been a running joke about how slow canterbury have been at a team.

Remember jason williams kept Brett Dallas (a QLD origin player) in reserve grade in the 90s and brett was quality. Unfortunately he was up against a rampaging kiwi internatrional in williams and a goalscoring freak but otherwise pedestrian halligan.
If halligan or el masri were around now they wouldnt be in first grade because of hokkos similar quality kicking.