What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Friend

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
I cant be bothered reading every single post.
However I agree (or think I do) with what rev is saying.

• Friend signing is an iffy signing.
  • Cleary is the one under the most pressure
  • Heremaia has not been poor and doesnt deserve to be ridiculed

The Warriors are getting out performed around the ruck.
It seems they are getting out-wrestled and dominated in the tackle.
Have a look at the eels game - warriors or cleary/iro got taught a lesson from Kearney.

This has made heremaia job a hard task.
The warriors looked better over the past weeks with mannering and mateo out of the forward pack and more hard running back rower in brown, taai.

What cleary needs to do?
Is make the hard call and sort out who he is going to pick in the back row.
Mannering, luck and mateo should never be in the same backrow.

Brown, Taai, Steve Rapira should feature more.

Also even when warriors they have absolutely no structure on attack.
This has been the case for the past four or five years.

Yes, we thought Fien and michael witt were the problem on attack.
They were replaced but we have the same issues since.
So we have tried, seymour, maloney and John.
With Johnson & godinet on standby.

Meth

Staff member
Steve Rapira is injured- had an operation a few weeks ago.

I don't get all the opposition to Friend. Hooker is one of the most important (if not the most important) position in the game today and Friend is, I think, in the elite second tier just below Smith (who is without peer at the moment). I'd go as far as to say that he is in the top 3 hookers in the game. He will be the best hooker that the club has ever had, no question.

shiznit

Coach
I cant be bothered reading every single post.
However I agree (or think I do) with what rev is saying.

• Friend signing is an iffy signing.
  • Cleary is the one under the most pressure
  • Heremaia has not been poor and doesnt deserve to be ridiculed

The Warriors are getting out performed around the ruck.
It seems they are getting out-wrestled and dominated in the tackle.
Have a look at the eels game - warriors or cleary/iro got taught a lesson from Kearney.

This has made heremaia job a hard task.
The warriors looked better over the past weeks with mannering and mateo out of the forward pack and more hard running back rower in brown, taai.

What cleary needs to do?
Is make the hard call and sort out who he is going to pick in the back row.

Brown, Taai, Steve Rapira should feature more.

Also even when warriors they have absolutely no structure on attack.
This has been the case for the past four or five years.

Yes, we thought Fien and michael witt were the problem on attack.
They were replaced but we have the same issues since.
So we have tried, seymour, maloney and John.
With Johnson & godinet on standby

where do you even start with that... it wasnt just the lack of structure in attack that cause problems for Witt & Fien... it was the complete lack of a kicking game.

Maloney has fixed that up almost instantly.

i think the attack is more than just the halves... and i also think your right to put the blame for that at Cleary's feet... but you also have to look at what he has to work with...

you cant honestly say he's turned down any better offers... as far as i know all the top class halves aren't too keen to come over to the Warriors...

what are his other options?? throw in a kid like Shaun Johnson?? is he even fit?? the kid has a massive future... but you need to be VERY careful with how you bring him along... i get the feeling Benji may have been pushed in abit early and his body wasnt ready for it.. consequently were seeing the best out of benji almost 6-7 years after he was pushed in.

i honestly dont know what the best option for that whole issue is... there is no easy answer to bring that structure in...

he made a good choice in bringing Maloney in... i think he's certainly given the team a decent kicking game.

and while alot of people like to say Cleary is too conservative and doesn't take enough risks in the halves department... i remember that he brought in Joel Moon to be 5/8... while it didnt work for him... there were many good judges in Australia who though Joel Moon would be the long term replacement for Lockyer for QLD. so he has taken the odd gamble.

maybe he needs to give Johnson a run now... i dont know... but with what he's had to contend with so far in the halves department... i think the Warriors could have been alot, lot worse over the past 5 seasons.

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
what are his other options?? throw in a kid like Shaun Johnson?? is he even fit?? the kid has a massive future... but you need to be VERY careful with how you bring him along... i get the feeling Benji may have been pushed in abit early and his body wasnt ready for it.. consequently were seeing the best out of benji almost 6-7 years after he was pushed in.

i honestly dont know what the best option for that whole issue is... there is no easy answer to bring that structure in...

he made a good choice in bringing Maloney in... i think he's certainly given the team a decent kicking game.

and while alot of people like to say Cleary is too conservative and doesn't take enough risks in the halves department... i remember that he brought in Joel Moon to be 5/8... while it didnt work for him... there were many good judges in Australia who though Joel Moon would be the long term replacement for Lockyer for QLD. so he has taken the odd gamble.

maybe he needs to give Johnson a run now... i dont know... but with what he's had to contend with so far in the halves department... i think the Warriors could have been alot, lot worse over the past 5 seasons.

Joel Moon wasn't a Risk, It was just out right dumb

I think Maloney is a good player and Mateo is doing better at 6.

What the team needs is structure/attacking plans - Clearly Cleary has no idea

Juniors
How's Chris Anderson going with Cronulla? The start of them going to hell and back with Anderson in charge. Daniel with Parramatta? Aside from Bennett, all coaches in the NRL have some severe weaknesses in their career resume. They're as inconsistent as a supermodel on crack.

:sarcasm:
Ummm Chris A with the Storm...
ahhhh Dan A has taken the Warriors and Parra to the GF
Mate I'm not asking for Superman - just saying give Ivan the flick, finally

Juniors
:clap::clap: If this was a boxing match revelations would be staring at the ring lights (if his eyes were even openable). He knows it as well. There are a few posters here and on other forums who are completely black or white based in their judgement, there's no middle ground. There's no understanding of circumstances.

Personally, I'm unsure whether Ivan is the best man for the job simply because I notice no improvements or constructiveness in our attacking structure. But he's still a good coach with a good record.

I personally feel we will win premierships once a couple more years roll by and the guys the club has developed in NYC are fully fledged NRL players with the experiences of what it is to be a hardened professional. The only bloke I think will get us one in the mean time is W Bennett. Eric Watson would have to find some serious dough to have even caused a ripple in the efforts of Nathan Tinkler.

So creative....
I'm shaking in my boots :crazy:
All these smart posters have got the better of me. :-$

I don't care for his good record - It's not getting the Warriors a premiership

ozbash

Referee

agree, unless we can win with only defence. The forwards went better with Mannering out in the centres and in a more attacking role.

Rich102

Staff member
i think when the time actually comes and the warriors do win that maiden premiership... i think its actually going to have more to do with the NYC competition than the actual coach.

one thing you need to keep in mind is who your going to choose to take over from Cleary. Whoever it is will need to be able to take the club forward...

and whoever it is.. you need to be prepared to accept 2 or 3 seasons where you may not make the finals at all... as it takes awhile for a new coach to embed there ideas and players into a club.

and if you dont give them that time you end up in an endless cycle chasing short term success.

take it from me... ive had to watch Parra go through this.. where were sacking coaches every couple of seasons if they dont produce instant results.its ridiculous.

I think this applies to Cleary's term as coach. The squad was strong enough to finish in the top 8, almost despite the coach. Most of this time it was a 14 team comp. 8 from 14 only leaves 6 teams to miss out.
We have never finished last but I don't think we reached our potential.

Meth

Staff member

Johnston is on the bench of the Vulcans this week- first week back from injury.

I was so frustrated with Jones in 09 that I was suggesting that we chuck Johnston in then. Now that we have a decent half in Maloney, Mateo is getting better at 6 and we have good cover in John and Seymour, I'm all for giving the kid as much time as he needs to develop fully.

In my mind, coming into this season, I was hoping that we would see him at the back end of this season, and playing first grade next year.

Rich102

Staff member
The Warriors started the season flat. That is inexcusable. They were disinterested against the Eels and got rolled. Hohaia had to be rested because he was stale - at the start of the season! Sorry, that is poor coaching.

From the start of the season a number of posters have been saying there is no place in the backrow for Mannering & Luck together. Yet it takes Ivan till round 5 to Move Mannering to centre, where he is best suited, and bring in an attacking second rower. Not rocket science.

The effort increased against the Sharks & Roosters. The Sharks were poor and the Roosters dreadful.

The Warriors have a good squad but I don't think they are being coached to their potential. They should make the 8 every year and kick on. They play a very simple style of up-the-guts and kick it to Manu football. Our poor record without Manu shows just how limited our attack is. When we come up against a well drilled side we are out of our depth.

If we look back on Cleary's term what has he contributed? An attractive style of play? A well drilled combination?
The often start games on the back foot and out-of-form players are carried far too long.

The Warriors winning the Grand Final is high on my bucket list. If Cleary remains as coach I am going to have to make a new list.

He has served his apprenticeship and should now be showing what he can do. Yet we are still getting the erratic performances. He has had his chances; time for someone else to have a go.

Meth

Staff member
Revelations 3:17- '...But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked.'

Iafeta

Referee
Meth, stay true to your convictions lad and don't retreat, for was it not proverbs 30:30 which comments "a lion, mighty among beasts, who retreats before nothing". Be strong wise lion.

devoid

Juniors
Someone quote some Nietzsche.

Considering this thread is in regards to Nathan Friend, I think a piece from Nietzche's writings on the 'Superman' from 'Assorted Essays end Maxims' is more apt than any Zarathustrian excerpt:

"'Will a self.' - Active, successful natures act, not according to the dictum 'know thyself,' but as if there hovered before them the commandment: will a self and thou shalt become a self."

So basically what Nietzche is saying is that Ivan Cleary is a genius, and Nathan Friend is going to rip it for us next year - premiership garuanteed if you ask me.

hitman82

Bench
Considering this thread is in regards to Nathan Friend, I think a piece from Nietzche's writings on the 'Superman' from 'Assorted Essays end Maxims' is more apt than any Zarathustrian excerpt:

"'Will a self.' - Active, successful natures act, not according to the dictum 'know thyself,' but as if there hovered before them the commandment: will a self and thou shalt become a self."

So basically what Nietzche is saying is that Ivan Cleary is a genius, and Nathan Friend is going to rip it for us next year - premiership garuanteed if you ask me.

Nice!! :lol:

Latest posts