What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Anthem appropriate before a club game?

• Yes it is

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • No it's not

Votes: 49 55.7%

• Total voters

DeeGan

Bench

The National Anthem doesn't have a place at a standard club game in my opinion.

We should have it before any Test, Origin or Grand Final fixture. At an absolute stretch, for finals games as well IF there a need for the majority.

Thoughts?

DeeGan

Bench
Australian league.
100th year.

It is justified.

How so?

Did Dally Messenger and the gang play if before every club match and if so, why hasn't it been a 'tradition' for the past 100 seasons?

If it's justified, you're saying we should play it before every club game this season and be gone with it next season up until the game's 200th season? :?

Each to their own though. My mates are split down the middle though I just don't see it as necessary at all.

BWNB

First Grade
I made a thread about this a while back, alot said no but i say yes.

BWNB

First Grade
Thanks for that, I will search the forum.

There are valid points either way, I just can't be convinced there is a place for it.

Thanks again.

No worries, i would look for it but im too lazy :LOL:

simostorm

Bench
Get rid of the sh*t. I had one guy tell me off for not standing for the anthem...
and the same guy told me off for standing when Storm scored a try...lol..

I was blocking his view aperntly..

and off course I told him to mind his own F'N business and worry about him self...

zombie jesus

Staff member
It's not inappropriate. Think of it as 2 mins of relative quiet before 80 mins of people screaming disgusting insults at the top of their lungs, that's inappropriate.

lotti

Bench
yeah it is, there was a uproar a few years ago when the Storm stopped playing it so they brought it back and when the anthem's over everyone waves their Storm flag so it kinda gets us in the mood for the game. Zombie the insults could be screamed during the warm up session.

Get rid of the sh*t. I had one guy tell me off for not standing for the anthem...
and the same guy told me off for standing when Storm scored a try...lol..

I was blocking his view aperntly..

and off course I told him to mind his own F'N business and worry about him self...

you are an arrogant disrespectful piece of sh*t.....i dont care what your beliefs are when he anthem is played you stand and show respect for the Anthem and this Country, take your hand off it you wanker

paulquinn49

Bench
Not for a club game, unless they want to play the New Zealand anthem and any other country being represented during the game.

lotti

Bench
most of the time it's just Australia that's being represented. It's against some religions to stand during national anthems.

urban eel

Juniors
i believe the protocol is that the anthem is only played for internationals
so if you want to talk traditions theres your answer

you might have noticed the the "Roy & HG" call of the origin on JJJ plays a piece of crappy country music while the anthem is played at the ground
its for that reason

flamin

Juniors
most of the time it's just Australia that's being represented. It's against some religions to stand during national anthems.
Not with the increasing amount of Polynesians playing in the NRL. In nearly every team thered be players who arent Australian. Should we play the NZ/Samoan/Tongan/English national anthem for them? What about when the Warriors are playing?

DeeGan

Bench
Wouldn't the argument there be that it's a National competion which is why only the Australian anthem would be played?

Dani

Immortal
Storm do it every game.

They stopped doing it a few years back and so many people complained that they had to bring it back.

God-King Dean

Immortal
you are an arrogant disrespectful piece of sh*t.....i dont care what your beliefs are when he anthem is played you stand and show respect for the Anthem and this Country, take your hand off it you wanker

12aust.l.jpg