What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Under-20s Signings for 2008

Dogaholic

First Grade
mxlegend99 said:
Panthers have the team to beat. Going off our success in the junior grades this season.

With the amount of depth we have, we could easily field 2 teams in the Under 20's and both would make the top 8. I expect we will make the Grand Final against the Dogs or Eels. At any rate, the Eels, Dogs and Panthers should be top 3.

Dogs have almost the same depth as you guys.

You guys just pipped us for the club championship. We were top 2 or 3 in all grades except FG

mxlegend99

Referee
Dogaholic said:
Dogs have almost the same depth as you guys.

You guys just pipped us for the club championship. We were top 2 or 3 in all grades except FG
We were top 2 in all grades except for grade also. We won the Club championship with a few games to go.

Harold Matthews: 2nd on ladder. Lost Grand Final. (to you guys)
SG Ball: Minor Premiers. Undefeated season till losing the one that counts (to Eels)
Jersey Flegg: Minor Premiers. Just beat 8th place with a 54-4 thrashing. (Premiership favourites... and defending their 2006 Premiership. Still have Sammut to add to the team also).

Last year we took out all 3 comps.

Premier League i dont think is really relevant to the Under 20's comp, as most players are over that age.

Edwahu

Bench
mxlegend99 said:
Premier League i dont think is really relevant to the Under 20's comp, as most players are over that age.

The under 20's who are in PL are usually the better players though, especially at some clubs.

Dogaholic

First Grade
mxlegend99 said:
We were top 2 in all grades except for grade also. We won the Club championship with a few games to go.

Harold Matthews: 2nd on ladder. Lost Grand Final. (to you guys)
SG Ball: Minor Premiers. Undefeated season till losing the one that counts (to Eels)
Jersey Flegg: Minor Premiers. Just beat 8th place with a 54-4 thrashing. (Premiership favourites... and defending their 2006 Premiership. Still have Sammut to add to the team also).

Last year we took out all 3 comps.

That is pretty impressive.

Our Harold Mathews is the most impressive from the dogs perspective. We have only lost 1 game in 2 seasons, last years GF to your lot.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I still dont know how we lost the junior GF's this year:(

Lead the Bulldogs the whole match until the last 30 secs in HM, until they scored to equalise and scored again in extra time. However, they were the dominant team all year and deserved the title.

In SG Ball, we played 1 bad half of League all season at the worst possible time. 12 of our SG Ball team have gone onto represent our dominant Flegg team this year, a truly remarkable thing considering most clubs only use 3-4 players MAX from SG Ball in their Flegg sides, in the same year. 2 of the 12 have gone onto PL in the same year also.

mxlegend99

Referee
Dogaholic said:
That is pretty impressive.

Our Harold Mathews is the most impressive from the dogs perspective. We have only lost 1 game in 2 seasons, last years GF to your lot.
Nothing more frustrating then an undefeated team losing the game that counts. Panthers had that happen with or SG Ball this season. I think our young guys had so much pressure on going back to back and just crumbled.

I'm just hoping our Flegg team doesn't do the same.

girvie

Staff member
THE Melbourne Storm have continued to show their faith in North Queensland's next rugby league prodigy.

Teenage sensation Justin O'Neill, who has been touted as the next Greg Inglis, recently agreed to terms with Melbourne for another two years. The 16-year-old has come a long way since he first strapped on his football boots as an under-10 in Hughenden and he is now earmarked to play first grade by 2009.

Melbourne Storm general manager of recruitment Peter O'Sullivan said O'Neill was set to play an integral role in the club's future plans. "At 16, mate, he is a wonderful athlete and he is very, very gifted," he said. "Athletically he is certainly as good as every single one of those players (Inglis and Israel Folau) and probably quicker in some regards than Inglis."

The Cathedral School student was discovered by North Queensland Cowboys recruitment officer Clint Zammit, who was working for the Melbourne Storm at the time. "He has progressed well since he was discovered but he has still got a long way to go because he'll have to mature, toughen up and hone his skills," O'Sullivan said. "Once he gets to Melbourne I'm sure he will be able to do all that. He has got NRL written all over him so if he does the hard work he will play in the competition for sure."

Despite already training with the Storm squad, O'Neill said he was level-headed about taking on the sport as a profession. "I haven't thought that far ahead ... I'll just try my best at the under-20s and see how far I get," O'Neill said. "I'm going to miss Townsville and home out west. But I've been to two Melbourne training camps so far and I have seen what it's like. "There is a lot to do to keep yourself occupied and all the other boys and coaches help you fit in."

Proud parents Nicole and Sean have supported their talented son through every milestone and in the end left the final decision up to Justin. "We've talked it through and he knows how tough it is going to be," Sean said. "He wasn't that keen to move away to a big city at first but he can see the benefits and now he is ready to take up the opportunity."

girvie

Staff member
Siosaia Vave (prop) from Penrith to Gold Coast
Jamie Buhrer (hooker) from Parramatta to Manly
Todd Bridge (five-eighth) from Taree to Wests
Matt Smith (halfback) from Wynnum Manly to Canberra

girvie

Staff member
Price is named as Player of the Year
03/09/2007 :: 83 hits

Linton Price:
Group 20 Player of the Year 2007Photo:

LEETON halfback-cum-hooker Linton Price was named the 2007 Group 20 Player of the Year at a gala dinner at the Griffith Leagues Club on Friday night.
In his debut season with the Greens, the 18-year-old Kiwi, who last month signed with National Rugby League club Wests Tigers, polled 26 votes, seven in front of West Wyalong five-eighth Rohan Loudon and Yenda front-rower Trevor Richards. Yanco-Wamoon hooker Geoff Johnson finished fourth on 13 votes.
Price said his time with the Greens, and under the tutelage of former Wests Tigers assistant coach Jody Rudd, has been a valuable experience.
“I took it game by game and I was hoping to learn as much as I could while I was here,” Price said.
“Playing this year, the biggest thing I’ve learnt is how to think about the game a bit more … things like if there’s anyone that’s being lazy in the defensive line, things you don’t really think about in New Zealand.”
Price, who was presented with his award by former Balmain great Benny Elias, said he was hoping to continue his development at the Tigers, learning from incumbent hooker Robbie Farrer.
The win capped-off a tremendous night for the Greens, with the club scooping the awards pool.
Leeton took out the club championship from Waratah Tigers and Black and Whites and had six players named in the Group 20 Team of the Year.

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/index.php?showtopic=21706

girvie

Staff member
Kingi Akaoula (centre/winger) from Balmain Premier League/Jersey Flegg to the Gold Coast.

He went to Keebra Park last year.

Dogaholic

First Grade
Anyone know anything about him?

TOP DOG - Tristan signs with Canterbury Bulldogs

viewimages

Milton Ulladulla Bulldog Tristan Nisbet is going from barking to biting, moving up in the rugby league competition to sign with the Canterbury Bulldogs.Despite only three years in the sport, Tristan caught the eye of a sports manager and after signing up a manager, began to get interest from top NRL clubs.
"It was pretty amazing to get interest from the Bulldogs," Tristan told the Times.
" I signed on with my manager and not long after that, he had several clubs contact him before the bulldogs made an offer."
Tristan met with the Bulldogs board to discuss contract options.
"I went to Sydney and met the club," he said.
"They outlined the contract and what it would entail and I signed with them on Thursday."
Tristan signed a two-year contract with the team, currently ranked sixth on the ladder in first grade football, and will start training in November and join the under 20s national comp.
"It has all happened pretty quickly," the 18-year-old told the Times.
"My family have been really supportive.
"I think Dad's side of the family were pretty stoked, they are all huge football fans."
Tristan played soccer for many years before converting to league and said he has learnt a lot from the Milton Ulladulla Bulldogs.
"The club has given me heaps, especially Peter Leffley.
"He is a great coach, but he's also like a second dad.
"He's really supportive of us all, which shows with the great results he gets from us."
Tristan will move to Sydney to start with the Bulldogs, moving to Cronulla to share a house with his sister.
"Having family support will make it heaps easier," he said.
"Training will be pretty well full time but I hope to get a part time job so I can have some spare money too."
Tristan completed school at Ulladulla High School in 2006 and spent this year focusing on his football, a move that has obviously paid off.
But, despite a goal to become a professional first grade player, this may not be the last the local clubs sees of Tristan.
"I am really grateful to all my family and friends for their support, and to the local Bulldogs for being supportive of my move, though they did tell me not to worry, if anything goes wrong they will welcome me back to play with them again," he said.

girvie

Staff member
To Wests Tigers
Benson Tupou (Leeton) - lock
Noah Fotu (Leeton) - Winger
Todd Bridge (Taree) - Halfback
Joe Latham (Wingham) – five-eighth
Sioeli Makaui (Keebra Park HS) - Halfback
Leo Vaiga (Keebra Park HS) - Front Row

To Cronulla:
Jarryd Hogan (Roosters) – halfback
Alex Butchies (Lennox Head) – second row

richies

Juniors
Dogaholic said:
Anyone know anything about him?

TOP DOG - Tristan signs with Canterbury Bulldogs

do u know what position he plays
looks like a big boy for 18yo

wow we have a few fulbacks now
cheers girvie
see ya sunday at cambletown

girvie

Staff member
The Rabbitohs have signed John Kaifoto and Brad Lupi from the North Sydney Bears.

Kaifoto was Norths best Flegg player this season imo and Lupi was Norths best SG Ball player imo. Both are secod rowers. Kaifoto played 1 Premier League game as well, and when SG Ball finished Lupi played the rest of the season in Flegg.

Also i heard that 3 others from Norths will probably be in the Souths squad next year. I don't think Souths have made a final decision yet and the players are also have interest from other clubs.

John Kaifoto - second rower
http://www.northsydneybears.com.au/...0623jfr15vpenrith/20070623JF15PEN3231-570.jpg
http://www.northsydneybears.com.au/...0325r2vcronulla/20070325JF02CRO1329SF-570.jpg

Brad Lupi - second rower
http://www.northsydneybears.com.au/...0818jfr23vbalmain/20070818JF23BAL4118-570.jpg

The Rabbitohs are also getting Junior Seumanutafa (centre) and Junior Vaivai (centre/five-eighth) down from their other feeder club Brisbane Easts.

Latest posts