What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nein promoting other codes

This comes up here and there in other threads, but this is a dedicated thread for Channel Nein, it's commentators, presenters and shows inexplicably promoting VFL and yawnyawn one way or another.

Here's some recent examples that shit me.

So we all know they have a hard on for SBW and Burgess despite them both going to union. If anything their fawning only got worse after they did. But today they had Curtis Rona on the Footy Show. Never seen the bloke on anything before but now he's signed for union they get him on to piss in his pocket. Admittedly they didn't mention him going to union next year but he is so it's great that Nein decide to lift his profile now. Marika Koroibete is another one who rarely got a mention in the several years he's been in first grade but the minute he signs for union they start raving about him. Now during Storm games he's a super athlete, fastest player ever, bla bla.

And even worse is the constant comparisons of ANY player who jumps and catches a ball to a VFL player. Pretty much every commentator faps on about this. A winger takes a high ball to score and apparently he'll be playing for Collingdon next week or something. They fail to mention a VFL tard would have dropped it.

That's a start. Add in any other examples you see or hear.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Too many to write down, it has been going on since the sl war and has only got worse.

Generational change they keep saying, it was mentioned again on offsiders this morning :rolleyes:

grouch

First Grade
Don't think that is confirmed yet. Last I'd heard (can't find the link) he was set to reject the Farce and stay with the Dogs

T-Boon

Coach
Another example is has there ever been a channel nine celebrity reality TV show that didn't have an AFL player in it?
Even when nine had Big Brother there would always be at least one dude who was a failed AFL player or an AFL player agent - and they would always gibber on about AFL.
The AFL is better at networking with the media in this sort of thing but it drives me nuts when nine are at it.

Brutus

Referee
Nein just promoted rugby league on ACA with a story on Jason Smith the coke addict.

True to form is our Nein.

Dogs.

axe&smash&crush

Juniors
Commentary on origin from nine was very poor
- Andrew johns thought Greg Inglis did nothing wrong by hitting Dugan high
- Andrew johns didn't want Cronk sent to the bin for a professional foul
- Took brad Fittler to give a reason as to why Fifita ran in (Thaiday has done it for 10 years, gus quite focal against the ex-Panther)
- mansour slipped, no he muffed it guys
- in my opinion the overall vibe was subdued

We need the enthusiasm and commitment that channel ten would offer.

They just need to ban Johns from betting on games so he doesn't spend the whole game cheering and whinging for the team he's got his money on. That would be a big start.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tempted to league by the promise of playing for his home city NRL club one day, realised NRL has no,p idea so back to union he goes.

Tempted to league by the promise of playing for his home city NRL club one day, realised NRL has no,p idea so back to union he goes.

Is that what Nine said? Geez, that's terrible. Seriously like to rubbish the game that keeps them a semi relevant media organisation.

mongoose

Coach
Another example is has there ever been a channel nine celebrity reality TV show that didn't have an AFL player in it?
Even when nine had Big Brother there would always be at least one dude who was a failed AFL player or an AFL player agent - and they would always gibber on about AFL.
The AFL is better at networking with the media in this sort of thing but it drives me nuts when nine are at it.

The Block had an ex AFL player a couple of years ago who was completely under the thumb of some bitch, anyway Scott Cam and a few others on the show went to watch the Roosters vs Storm game and the AFL guy had a sook about it cause he doesn't like rugby league :)

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
In Melbourne after Origin, we didn't even get to hear the commentator finish repeating the final scoreline immediately after fulltime before they immediately cut to the AFL Footy Show.

Because its important that they run their second best of the two shithouse footy show's, which promotes a rival code, being shown on a rival network, instead of the post match presentations etc of the Origin.

Nine don't deserve NRL/Origin/Test footy.

They deserve to die a miserable death running shitty, rehashed, unfunny US sitcoms and AFL crap.

If it wasn't for Origin and Test footy, I'd never have to watch the shit.

Other than for the cricket, and that has become inundated with so much AFL wankery now that is impossible to listen to. I mute the volume and put Grandstand on, where the AFL discussions during cricket are far less frequent and exuberant.

T-Boon

Coach
In Melbourne after Origin, we didn't even get to hear the commentator finish repeating the final scoreline immediately after fulltime before they immediately cut to the AFL Footy Show.

Because its important that they run their second best of the two shithouse footy show's, which promotes a rival code, being shown on a rival network, instead of the post match presentations etc of the Origin.

They deserve to die a miserable death running shitty, rehashed, unfunny US sitcoms and AFL crap.

Other than for the cricket, and that has become inundated with so much AFL wankery now that is impossible to listen to. I mute the volume and put Grandstand on, where the AFL discussions during cricket are far less frequent and exuberant.

Exactly!!
Cricket is virtually owned by AFL now. Big Bash (which is for some reason popular) has more AFL references than cricket references. All those Southern commentators (Ponting, Fleming etc).
Cricket needs to realise that its natural enemy in Australia is AFL. Look at Victoria, its like the West Indies of Australia. They produce third rate cricketers because they all end up AFL players.

LESStar58

Referee
The Block had an ex AFL player a couple of years ago who was completely under the thumb of some bitch, anyway Scott Cam and a few others on the show went to watch the Roosters vs Storm game and the AFL guy had a sook about it cause he doesn't like rugby league :)

What was that show that Karl Stefanovic used to host? The Debate? Some sort of current affairs show.

Campbell Brown the intellectual genius who once king hit his own team mate in Vegas was a panelist.

I also remember having a channel surf one night and the block was on. They were at the park kicking a Sherrin and all these Southerners were express surprise/dismay that a "rugby bloke" could exhibit some sort of kicking skills.

You can't make this shit up.

_snafu_

Immortal

Agreed. I forgot how bad Nein was until I was forced to watch it for Origin.