What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ARLC CEO Discussion

Who is your preferred NRL CEO?

• Total voters

beave

Coach
Ben Buckley? f**k that mate. After what he did to the Fury and his whole handling of the A League, I reckon it would be a step backwards from Gallop.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://sportsbusinessinsider.com.au...a-with-former-nrl-ceo-gallop-starting-monday/

Buckley era ends at Football Federation Australia with former NRL CEO Gallop starting Monday

Ben Buckley’s six-year tenure as CEO of the Football Federation Australia has come to a close, with former NRL CEO David Gallop to take over from Monday.

Gallop becomes the third CEO from outside the sport when he replaces Buckley, who took over from John O’Neill in November 2006. Buckley oversaw the failed World Cup bid but has recently concluded a new TV deal and the A-League is returning strong attendance and TV ratings, as reported by Bonita Mersiades last month.

Former Socceroos player and pundit Craig Foster wrote on The World Game website that Buckley “can feel deservedly proud of the position in which he says goodbye to the game, but in a quieter moment he may reflect on a tenure punctuated by high and low points.”

Foster said the failure of expansion clubs Gold Coast and North Queensland, the World Cup bid, a high turn over of staff and disputes with wealthy owners including Clive Palmer and Nathan Tinkler, were lowlights.

Buckley has not announced a new position but it has been reported that the former AFL staffer would rather remain in Sydney than return to Melbourne. He has been linked to several AFL clubs since announcing he would be leaving, but ruled them all out. There is one major sporting organisation looking for a CEO based in Sydney – Gallop’s former employers at rugby league.

Nerd

Bench
Firstly Buckley's lack of experience in League is a worry.

Second I don't know if he has the experience to run the NRL. His recent work with Soccer doesn't fill me with confidence.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
ARL close to revealing identity of new CEO
Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph
November 12, 2012 12:00AM

RUGBY league could know the identity of its long-awaited new chief executive as early as this week.

ARL Commission chairman John Grant last night said: "We are down to the final stages and the last pages of reaching an agreement.

"We have been at this stage before and things can happen so we're not quite there yet but nothing is emerging that would prevent us from concluding the current discussions."

Asked was the successful candidate from Australia's business sector, Grant said: "I can't comment."

The news comes on the same day as former NRL boss David Gallop begins his new role at Football Federation Australia.

Some 160 days ago, Gallop was marched out of rugby league and since then Grant and acting CEO Shane Mattiske have appeared to share the responsibility of running the sport.

It is understood the successful candidate is from outside the sporting world and has agreed to terms with the NRL. He will start in early January.

Sources within the NRL claim an announcement is "imminent" although his identity remains a mystery.

The NRL has not had a CEO since Gallop's sacking back on June 5.

"The deal is just about done," the source said. "He has agreed. An announcement is imminent.

"None of the candidates mentioned publicly so far have been contacted lately so they have done their dealings very privately and quietly.

"I think you'll find he is from the business world and doesn't have a prominent sporting background."

Mattiske hasn't been mentioned as a long-term choice for months although no one is discarding his chances.

Mattiske denies applying for the job and said yesterday: "The process has been run by the commission and is something they have kept confidential. I am not aware of where the commission is at at the moment but their focus is to find the right person."

The chase for a new CEO has been long and tedious. The list of potential candidates has included Bulldogs CEO Todd Greenberg, Panthers group CEO Warren Wilson, former NZRL chief executive Jim Doyle, ANZ Stadium CEO Daryl Kerry, ex-V8's boss Tony Cochrane, Essendon chief executive Ian Robson and former federal sports minister Mark Arbib.

There have been suggestions former Cricket Australia and ICC official Brendan McClements is a leading candidate. He has worked in Australia and abroad.

McClements, chief executive officer for Victorian Major Events Company, has spoken with Grant.

The NRL came close to poaching Gillon McLachlan from the AFL, before being embarrassingly outmanouvred by Andrew Demetriou with McLachlan opting to reject the rugby league offer.

Grant last night refused to comment on fresh criticism in The Sunday Telegraph of just how long it has taken the ARLC to find a new boss.

Gallop officially starts his new job in football today, fronting the media at a noon press conference at FFA headquarters.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...ntity-of-new-ceo/story-e6frfgbo-1226514716447

roarr

Juniors
The media have absolutely no idea, and its kind of refreshing. Rothfield is trying to do one article a week about how bad Grant is, but I think he's fighting a losing battle.

All they have is that original list that's been recycled a million times (Greenberg, Warren Wilson Etc) which was probably never even close.

No point in rushing what should be a 5-10 year appointment if it's the right person.

Brutus

Referee
I saw Gallop umming and arrring on the news tonight during his first official presser as boss of the Aussie soccer.

Heard him trot out the same old garbage about how important it is to have an even competition. Could have copied and pasted his words from an old NRL interview.

Thank god he's no longer ours.

Latest posts