New Coach

Discussion in 'Cricket' started by AlwaysGreen, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Timbo

Timbo Moderator Staff Member

I'd get pretty f**king sick of losing games by 2 runs when we were 1/297 chasing 309 though.

jargan83, JJ and AlwaysGreen like this.
  2. TheParraboy

TheParraboy Moderator Staff Member

CEO: Dennis Fitzgerald ?

3. Mr Spock!

Mr Spock! Coach

Lol...this mob scoring 300.....

4. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

I remember when the garden gnome was our batting coach. he talked about wining games within the game and all that sort of headspace mumbo jumbo without really helping the batsmen with their batting

He was our batting coach when Phillip Hughes had his batting issues so much so that Hughes had to find a decent batting coach and pay for it himself to try and get his technical issues sorted.

Langer was no help at all.

umina panther likes this.
  5. Meapro Ham

Meapro Ham Juniors

Anyone but bloody Langer. Please no. I can’t put my finger on why exactly but he is one annoying mofo.

Dizzy would be ok. If only tugger or AB were available.

6. some11

some11 Coach

If space cadet gets it I give up.

Gillespie or an outsider to shake things up.

7. TheParraboy

TheParraboy Moderator Staff Member

bring back Mickey Arthur?

8. madunit

madunit Super Moderator Staff Member

Dizzy would be brilliant

9. some11

some11 Coach

His article on PlayersVoice sheds a whole new light on 'homeworkgate'.

Eelectrica likes this.
  10. Eelectrica

Eelectrica Coach

With this new and improved aussie attitude they're going for, it's not actually a bad idea.
    The bloke can coach, would surely be a better option than JL or Bayliss if he gets the flick from England.

Dizzy would be my preference though.

11. mave

mave Bench

I predict 2 years of JL, then hopefully C.Rogers will have enough experience.
    He seems to know his stuff, and has the right "culture" for CA.

12. AlwaysGreen

AlwaysGreen Immortal

A Chaps/warnie combo would go alright.

hineyrulz likes this.
  13. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

Helluva good idea AG.

AlwaysGreen likes this.
  14. Matt23

Matt23 Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like the gnome has the job, CA lurching from one f*ck up to the next :rolleyes:

15. Eelectrica

Eelectrica Coach

Is Justin Langer really a legend? That line threw me.
    I mean he had his moments, sure. But legend seems to be pushing it.

16. Fangs

Fangs Juniors

The mighty Fangs strikes again.

17. Fangs

Fangs Juniors

JL as coach extinguishes the outlandish idea of Clarke as captain. Was certainly a longshot, no chance now.

18. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

CA quashes coach appointment claims
    Cricket Australia yet to determine replacement for Darren Lehmann as report emerges suggesting Justin Langer has been handed role

Cricket Australia insists no appointment has been made to the vacant national men's head coaching position despite reports that former Test opener Justin Langer has won the job.

Australia are on the hunt for a new coach following Darren Lehmann's resignation last month in the wake of the Cape Town ball-tampering scandal, with Langer presumed to be a leading contender.

The West Australian reported on Wednesday that the Cricket Australia board will ratify Langer's appointment on Friday but a spokesperson for the organisation stressed that is not the case.

QUICK SINGLE
    subjectLanger discusses Aussie coaching job
    “The process to be undertaken for the appointment of a new Australian men’s head coach will be discussed and agreed at the CA board meeting this Friday," a CA spokesperson said in a statement.

"No appointment has been made, and nor will any candidate be put to the board for ratification on Friday.

"We expect to have a clearer understanding of the approach and appointment timelines following this meeting."

Langer has coached Western Australia and the Perth Scorchers since 2012 and has long been considered the natural successor to Lehmann.

The 105-Test veteran stood in as head coach for Australia's ODI tour of the West Indies in 2016 when Lehmann took some time off.

Speaking to PerthNow earlier this month, Langer said he'd consider putting his hand up for the job but admitted its relentless nature could be a deterrent.

"If the opportunity came up, there would be a lot to consider," said the 47-year-old.

"The complication is that I love my job. I love my job here. I love being on the board of the West Coast Eagles (football team). I love being with my family all the time.

"(Coaching Australia) would mean (travelling) 11 months of the year.

"I love working at WACA, and working with the Scorchers. My family is all in Perth. I am a Perth boy and I love being home. So that’s why it is complicated.

"I’m also involved with five or six charities here in WA. And walking away from all that is not that easy to do."

[​IMG]
    Langer has led the Scorchers to three BBL titles // Getty

That load could be lightened however should CA opt split the Test and limited-overs coaching roles, an idea that has gained traction given the increasingly divergent demands of the different formats.

Langer's former captain Ricky Ponting has already expressed his interest in coaching the national T20 side, while former Australia fast bowler Jason Gillespie has previously discussed a desire to coach at the highest level.

Gillespie holds roles with KFC Big Bash side Adelaide Strikers, leading them to last summer's title, as well as English county outfit Sussex. Ponting is in his first season at the helm of Indian Premier League franchise Delhi Daredevils.

Former India mentor and Test great Gary Kirsten recently endorsed Langer and Ponting, tipping more and more nations are likely to split their head coaching duties.

"I know 'JL' (Langer) well and he's a great coach," Kirsten told Omnisport. "He has all the right credentials, and they also have Ricky Ponting who has done a fantastic job with their T20 team.

"There is no shortage of quality coaches around the world, but both JL and Ricky understand the Australian way better than most."

"I think international coaching is moving to a space where it is going to become more format based … the idea of coaching an international team across all formats is becoming more unlikely for young coaches, because it’s just not sustainable, especially with a young family.

"Countries are starting to split coaching roles and I think it will happen more and more.

"Australia dabbled with it and we are even getting counties now signing up Twenty20 coaches."

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/jus...-meeting-lehmann-gillespie-ponting/2018-04-18

Fangs likes this.
  19. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

In his own mind maybe.

20. AlwaysGreen

AlwaysGreen Immortal

I don't understand the push for Ponting as 20/20 coach. If anything Langer is better credentialed as a 20/20 coach through his time at the scorchers.

If you were going to split the two it would make more sense having Gillespie take on the longer format and the Josef Goebbels lookalike Langer take the shorter game.

Ponting can wait a while and win something before getting a gig