What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Halves Combination Shines

getsmarty

Immortal
New halves combination shines for Dragons

By MITCH JENNINGS

Feb. 7, 2014, 9:24 p.m.

• w1200_h678_fmax.jpg
    New Dragons five-eighth Gareth Widdop performed strongly in his first hit-out for the Red V last night.

The Dragons halves picture may be a whole lot clearer for coach Steve Price with big-name recruits Gareth Widdop and Sam Williams instrumental in 15-try performance against a combined Illawarra Cutters/Mudgee Dragons side at WIN Jubilee Oval on Friday night.
Much of the hype surrounding the Dragons in 2014 has centred on Widdop and the former Melbourne Storm star was heavily involved, playing a hand in three first half tries in a dominating first performance in the Red V.
It was Widdop who laid on the Dragons first try with a deft inside ball for a rampaging Jack de Belin to score after eight minutes. He also combined with fullback Josh Dugan, one of the Dragons' best on the night, to produce two tries for the returning Gerard Beale late in the second quarter.

Not to be outdone Williams put his stamp on the number seven jumper scoring a try from close range early in the piece and laying one on for fullback Josh Dugan with a deft kick moments before quarter time. Williams had a hand in another late in the second quarter, dummying his way into space and finding Nathan Green for try before being replaced at halftime.
Other new recruits to shine included Dylan Farrell who finished with two tries and threw the final pass for two more in a polished display on the right edge for his new club.
The Culburra junior took his chances in the second quarter after being starved of football early, bursting through the Mudgee defence to find Nathan Green for a try. He notched his first try in Dragons colours soon after, running onto a deft pass from Dugan to score from close range.
Front-row recruits Josh Ailomai and Mike Cooper also celebrated their Dragons debuts with close range tries early in the second quarter.
The pace of the game slowed in the second stanza with Jack Twist and Rory O’Brien who was close to the Cutters best, scoring tries before the Dragons answered late in the quarter through Bronson Harrison.
Williams’ return in the final quarter paid immediate dividends with former Raider putting Leeson Ah Mau into space and backing up on the inside to score his second try moments after the resumption.
Farrell capped a solid debut with his second try soon after before Nathan Green completed his hat-trick to round out the scoring for the Dragons.
The Cutters produced two tries of their own through Shane Pumipi and Jake Leary to bring the try tally to a more respectable 15-4.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2074307/new-halves-combination-shines-for-dragons/?cs=302

Dea

Juniors
Sounds like a good first up run with a halves pairing who can pass and run. Wont that be nice!

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
sounds like a good result.. although i have to remind myself that it was against very weak opposition...

anyone could look like a star against mudgee..

Minh

First Grade
It's very promising but it was a massive step down in class and should be expected that they dominate.

jenninga

First Grade
Mitch Rein didn't :sarcasm:

He still looks a mess,and Garvey doesn't look much better as yet.Hope we don't regret letting Kingy go.
Interested to see who Price puts on the bench as dummyhalf replacement.
Could end up being Kyle.

GT0007

Juniors
He still looks a mess,and Garvey doesn't look much better as yet.Hope we don't regret letting Kingy go.
Interested to see who Price puts on the bench as dummyhalf replacement.
Could end up being Kyle.

I fully expect Kyle to be the utility as he is a good defender, has a decent step and strength, can play dummy half, in the back row and anyway in the backline

TheRev

First Grade
How did Kyle look btw when he was on the field? Was he a threat from Dummy Half, did he exclusively play hooker, nothing in the halves?

bottle

Coach
How did Kyle look btw when he was on the field? Was he a threat from Dummy Half, did he exclusively play hooker, nothing in the halves?

Just dummy half.
Didn't do a lot, just fed it out the back mostly. One dash from there, not much running.
Good defensively. Got about 30 mins or so.
Blowing out the cobwebs I think.

watatank

Coach
Played the last 25 or so minutes, all at hooker. Didn't do much in attack other than pass from dummy half but he did fine.

jenninga

First Grade
Thought Kyle played well within himself ,not trying too much ,to be expected .
By the way he played 25-30 min.:D

BrissyRedV

Bench
Great to see Williams and widdop line up together. Going to make a great combo. Fantastic to see a HB take on the line.

I wonder if twenty 10 still thinks style will get the nod over Williams?

st.phil

Bench
Regardless of opposition Williams and Widdop had a lot of intent, were organised, decisive and not afraid to take the line on. We have halves who run to the line - praise the lord! Widdop captained in his debut, he Williams and Duges were barking the whole time. Goddam we needed new faces and I think these two will do real good for us.

Minh

First Grade
Widdop as expected is a class player, and if Sam Williams can play well this season will be a good one. Heaps to get excited about.

chillwinston

Juniors
I can't see Stanley starting as a half until maybe 6-10 rounds in if he's still 100% by that stage. Williams will start at 7.

Just hope the forwards can do their job so the halves can stand out. The defense around the middle still looks pretty weak based on the trial. Yes it was against lower opposition and I know we still have a few guys to come back but it's not a good sign when your reserve team puts easy try's on the 1st team..

Thompson will be good provided he doesn't give away alot of cheap penalties.

I was at the trial last night and was good to see both halves not afraid to take the line on. Cooper showed some good touches/footwork.