What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Telstra Deal signed

Old_Timer

Juniors
Does anyone have any details on when this app will be released for both IOS and Android? If the app will allow tethering? And the cost structure?

bileduct

Coach
If you mean putting the app on an iPad or an Android tablet tethered to a mobile phone I can't see why that would make any difference to using ordinary wireless. They'd both be wireless access points as far as the tablet is concerned.

It all comes down to the quality of the stream and whether you've got enough bandwidth to receive it in a watchable manner and a reasonable monthly download allowance. I imagine you'd chew through your quota pretty quickly.

Old_Timer

Juniors
OK so are we saying this app will only work on data plans with mobile telephone carriers?

Being somewhat naive, I thought one would simply download the app, pay the season pass subscription, and watch the content on my ADSL connection via my wifi at home. I have ample bandwidth at home to watch every NRL game and then some. But my 1GB per month telstra mobile phone data allowance is a different matter. If it were solely restricted to mobile phone carrier data plans, I agree the cost would be astronomical. Although the 2012 AFL app was unmetered for Telstra customers.

Does anyone know if Foxtel on the Xbox are going to stream live games?

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
I suggest checking out the terms and conditions for getting foxtel via telstra mobiles. I had a look cause I was thinking the same thing, but there are some major disincentives built in if you were to stream it via your mobile network. Didn't think to checkout how it works via a LAN connection.

In short session times were limited to 15mins, with a maximum of 200 minutes a month. All for the low cost of $20 a month.

As for data, of nfl game pass is any indication it works out at 1mb per minute of viewing

Last edited:

Old_Timer

Juniors
Yes it is starting to sound like the type of service whereby if you are out and about and your team is playing it might be worth a squizz for a few minutes at best.

I read a few negative comments about the AFL app for last as being very poor video quality.

ryana87

Juniors
Seems crazy that it is less than 4 weeks until kick off and no one really knows how this system is gunna work

ek999

First Grade
OK so are we saying this app will only work on data plans with mobile telephone carriers?

Being somewhat naive, I thought one would simply download the app, pay the season pass subscription, and watch the content on my ADSL connection via my wifi at home. I have ample bandwidth at home to watch every NRL game and then some. But my 1GB per month telstra mobile phone data allowance is a different matter. If it were solely restricted to mobile phone carrier data plans, I agree the cost would be astronomical. Although the 2012 AFL app was unmetered for Telstra customers.

Does anyone know if Foxtel on the Xbox are going to stream live games?

You will be able to watch it over your home Wi-Fi and if your with Telstra it shouldn't count towards your mobile data allowance

PaulyTom

Juniors
I know the NRL released they were going to have all games live on Mobiles and Tablets.

Has anyone seen any details of cost or when this will start?

ShaiGuY

First Grade
I reckon Telstra are trying to thrash out a deal with Foxtel. The awarding of the online rights so late in December have really hampered things I reckon. The AFL had considerable more time to refine their offering as from memory they finalised the deal in April the year before or something not too long afterwards with all parties. This allowed them to negotiate the AFL via Xbox deal etc. I wouldve thought that with Telstra paying C.20m each year that they would get a real mOve on

sheet_ed

Juniors
Since I am not a Broncos follower who get nearly all my matches on Friday and free to air, I wanted to know how can and how much digital matches will be to my mobile.

See NRL Rights Deal
http://www.afr.com/p/national/telstra_to_sign_nrl_digital_rights_FUDX31kPFMz8pRLxklpovK

Does anyone know when/if it is going live?

Is it only for IPAD/IPHONES?

Did the AFL do it last year and what was the cost per match/subscription?

Do you need to subscribe or can you pick your matches?

Do you need to pay for downloads as well?

AND NO - I WON'T BUY FOXTEL.

Thanks in advance for any info.

whall15

Coach
Noone knows but I imagine it will be metered, ie. you'll have to pay for downloads, although if you're with BigPond that won't be the case.

smithie

Juniors
The NRL streaming app is scheduled to launch March 1st.

Android and iOS only. Sadly no Windows Phone or Windows 8/RT app.

Which games haven't been finalised.

Last edited:

reanimate

Bench
Getting an Android app out alongside the iOS version is great, the Galaxy S line is getting pretty popular and we want to be hitting as large an audience as possible. There really should be a Windows 8 version in the works too. I can understand not putting together a Windows Phone app, as the WP audience here is pretty tiny, but Windows 8 is coming preloaded on all new PCs and a stack of new tablets- it'd be handy if there was an NRL app ready to go there. Microsoft would probably have it as a featured app too, they usually try and spruik some local content.

applesauce

Bench
Getting an Android app out alongside the iOS version is great, the Galaxy S line is getting pretty popular and we want to be hitting as large an audience as possible. There really should be a Windows 8 version in the works too. I can understand not putting together a Windows Phone app, as the WP audience here is pretty tiny, but Windows 8 is coming preloaded on all new PCs and a stack of new tablets- it'd be handy if there was an NRL app ready to go there. Microsoft would probably have it as a featured app too, they usually try and spruik some local content.

Samsung S3 mainly had a 71% market share compared to Apples iPhone 5 last quarter. It is becoming a huge percentage of the phone market. I recently changed got the S3 and will never look back, but was worried that this app wouldn't be on Android and now I am pumped.