What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Telstra Deal signed

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The new NRL Digital Media network has outlined an exciting program for building a deeper engagement with fans by creating more content.

A closer partnership with club websites and advances in fantasy league and tipping is expected to attract more than two million users a month to nrl.com alone.

Fans will also be able to access iPhone and Android mobile apps that broadcasts matches live-to-air throughout the season.

Due to launch in time for the season kick-off, the app will give fans the greatest access to live-to-air coverage in history.

http://www.nrl.com/nrl-ceos-meeting-report/tabid/10874/newsid/70816/default.aspx

LJC

Juniors
I like watching my footy on the big screen and I'm sure many others do as well! So it wont matter to a majority of footy fans!

applesauce

Bench
I like watching my footy on the big screen and I'm sure many others do as well! So it wont matter to a majority of footy fans!

I have my laptop connected via HD to my plasma and watch all my NFL/NBA live in full HD through the internet.

Think outside the box. ;-)

LJC

Juniors
Still think a majority of NRL footy fans view on the big TV screen.

Its just easier!

No knock on what you do but its whats the majority do.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I think you would be surprised how many do it that way now. I have a PC Connected to the TV permanently working as a Media Centre. When I watch NFL I just play it full screen on my TV via that setup.

Something like this would be perfect for me to get access to NRL games on a Saturday night, and looking at the costs of the AFL version, it's a great price point for those who only want to get access to the NRL games.

ek999

First Grade
If it's about $100 it's great value, espescially if replays (and hopefully old matches) are on demand. Foxtel with sport is $60 bucks a month plus $100 install fee and all I would get it for is NRL so I'm in front straight away. Hope the stream quality is good, the cricket stream this summer was pretty good

Didgi

Still think a majority of NRL footy fans view on the big TV screen.

Its just easier!

No knock on what you do but its whats the majority do.

Nothing easier about paying $50/month plus for Foxsports.

Clarke

Juniors
I think you would be surprised how many do it that way now. I have a PC Connected to the TV permanently working as a Media Centre. When I watch NFL I just play it full screen on my TV via that setup.

Something like this would be perfect for me to get access to NRL games on a Saturday night, and looking at the costs of the AFL version, it's a great price point for those who only want to get access to the NRL games.

Yes, probably a large number than what most people think do it like that but I still agree its not the majority.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
How do you get android built into the tv??
Smart tv with Android as the OS. Kogan sell them. Think JB have some as well but they run older versions of android.

You can also get android dongles that you just plug into a spare HDMI port rather then buying a whole new tv.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Smart tv with Android as the OS. Kogan sell them. Think JB have some as well but they run older versions of android.

You can also get android dongles that you just plug into a spare HDMI port rather then buying a whole new tv.

I very much doubt that setup will work as there will be built in detection software to determine if it's just a phone or some other device. So you will just need to either find a cheap android phone with TV out for that purpose, or upgrade your current phone.

Do note, for it to work on a iPhone onto a larger screen, you will need to jailbreak your phone as TV out is not supported by apps by default, it only supports youtube and music on the iphone

ek999

First Grade
I very much doubt that setup will work as there will be built in detection software to determine if it's just a phone or some other device. So you will just need to either find a cheap android phone with TV out for that purpose, or upgrade your current phone.

Do note, for it to work on a iPhone onto a larger screen, you will need to jailbreak your phone as TV out is not supported by apps by default, it only supports youtube and music on the iphone

What about Apple TV? Can't it mirror what is on your iPhone/iPad?

Chief_Chujo

First Grade

Yea I was worried about that. I've got a glaxy note 10 so can just do HDMI out with that but would've been nice to not have to bother with that.

seaeagle sam

As ek999 said, Apple TV would do the job easily. A simple 30 pin to hdmi adapter would alsi work.

From what I’ve read of the AFL streaming, the picture quality isn’t great on the phone/tablet as it is, so streaming to the TV is very poor picture quality.

Theirs wasn’t available via WiFi either last year, so if that was the case AppleTV might be difficult too.

VictoryFC

Bench
Anyone else think the pricing is too cheap? $90 for auskick will probably be the same for the NRL. But when you compare Foxtel (over $700 easy), its an absolute steal. I cant believe things like this havent affected the value of TV rights. NFL gets around it by only offering their service internationally. Cant help but feel this could cannibalise future Tv rights if/when it really takes off.

El Diablo

Post Whore
From what I?ve read of the AFL streaming, the picture quality isn?t great on the phone/tablet as it is, so streaming to the TV is very poor picture quality.

Theirs wasn?t available via WiFi either last year, so if that was the case AppleTV might be difficult too.

AFL run it through their own site or some shit

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Anyone else think the pricing is too cheap? $90 for auskick will probably be the same for the NRL. But when you compare Foxtel (over $700 easy), its an absolute steal. I cant believe things like this havent affected the value of TV rights. NFL gets around it by only offering their service internationally. Cant help but feel this could cannibalise future Tv rights if/when it really takes off.

But by that stage the NRL with be able to sell direct to the customer, so broadcast revenue will be generated this way. Also they will make money on the advertising themselves rather than the networks.

I'm sure this has been well considered by the Commission, as they made the abolition of F & L rights a priority in the last negotiation.

DMS

Juniors
Has anybody heard of the release date? this is crazy this footy kicks off this week! and I'm working Saturday Night so I need the android App to watch the footy