What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next Referee's Boss

Frailty

First Grade
Does anyone who watch the ESL know what their refereeing standard is like?

Ashley Klein was their best referee for a number of years....

The real issue is that there is no consistency through the grassroots to NRL for referees (though it is slowly changing). There was for the better part of the last 20 years, a significant difference from the State level squads to the NRL squads - not in quality, but rather how the game should be refereed and interpreted (even down to positioning).

That being said, please go back to watch games in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. The refereeing standard was worse, but the coverage rarely focused on the refereeing. Mistakes and f*ck ups will happen.

Frailty

First Grade
Good luck to whoever it is, because you will never win.

When Bill Harrigan was sacked he was blamed for referees not penalising offside. The same media were complaining when they were being penalised. There will never be winners when the game has this #RefsFault mentality.

Quicksilver

Bench
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/m...s/news-story/46b73af645034ffa93af0e9c3e69432a

So interestingly, Matty Johns is complaining about Todd Greenburg asking the referees to back off on the crack down earlier this year, despite complaining about the crackdown earlier in the year.

This is why it doesn't matter who is in charge of the referees, it will always be in #Crisis.

Indeed. It really is just a thing for the media cycle to feed off. They push one way and then the other. If they are going to be critical, they at least need to be consistent.

Exsilium

First Grade
Should just send the decisions to that squid that can predict shit.

No one would question a squid and let’s be honest, it’s success rate is pretty good.

Springs09

Juniors
https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/m...s/news-story/46b73af645034ffa93af0e9c3e69432a

So interestingly, Matty Johns is complaining about Todd Greenburg asking the referees to back off on the crack down earlier this year, despite complaining about the crackdown earlier in the year.

This is why it doesn't matter who is in charge of the referees, it will always be in #Crisis.

Did Matty complain about the crackdown? I remember Gus and Rothfield being the biggest voices against it. He's also right about asking why it was made publicly, as all that did was make it seem like he bowed to the coaches' pressure.

Frailty

First Grade
The only thing the media are consistent about is their inconsistency.

But the media is only following this because of the culture of Rugby League to blame games on Referees. Rather than admitting that referees will make mistakes but rarely do they actually cost teams games, Rugby League has a culture that encourages the blaming the referee rather than their own faults.

I've done it myself, even as recent as a couple of weeks back with the Sharks v Broncos game. It's hard to get out of that mindset - and that's what the media will feed on.

cain3y

Juniors
Cecchin_010418_a_env.jpg

I thought this bloke was already in charge of the referees.

Cecchin looks pretty scared to me.

Saxon

Bench
There have been, and always will be, issues with refs making mistakes.
Fans of the losing team will always feel dudded and often blame the refs. this has been exacerbated by video replays showing the action again and again from about 47 angles.

The real difference now though is that rather than it all blowing over and start anew next week, the media builds this feeding frenzy; some to sell papers, others (like Gould and Sloshedfield) to further their own agendas.

Blame the media I say. Flog them all. Burn Phil Gould at the stake!