What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well at least it made up my mind about keeping Foxtel or not lol.

For couch potato fans it is a good result: Worth subscribing to Fox for every game or at least we get 3 live FTA games

For the fan who likes to get out and watch their team it isn't looking so good with Thurs nights (and Mon for one year) and the 6pm Friday. Maybe the NRL/clubs will sweeten it a bit by reducing memberships or improving entertainment factor at games.

longer term maybe they will shuffle it around and have a 6:30pm Sydney Friday night game at SFS alongside more NZ games and the Ch9 game at 8.15pm?

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
The Nine deal locked in a guaranteed $925m, whether it was paid by Nine or Fox, the NRL wouldn't have agreed to buy the game back from Nine unless it generated a significant uplift in the value of the unsold rights, which would have been a negotiation between the NRL & Newscorp. I think the NRL reached the target they had set a year ago and got there using a concerted strategy. The spanner in the works was old long balls tantrum that handed the AFL an unexpected windfall. On that basis you could conclude it wasn't worth antagonising newscorp, but I think the NRL still hit their target from a year ago - it just doesn't look as big as it once had when they first sat down and came up with a number.

Yes, the NRL hit their target from a year ago, but they are mugs if they are now still satisfied considering what the AFL got, and what they have had to do to their draw with the proposed Friday 6pm game and next year with Thurs and Mon nights...

I'm not disappointed actually with what Fox have paid, but Nine have ended up paying about $150 Mil short at least, considering their 3 quality slots and Origin...compare it to what the AFL have been paid from Seven and there is a massive difference...

By the way - I'm hoping that you are objective on this issue, as I cant recall much from you in the way of criticism of the deal... I think anyone would have to acknowledge that its a long way from perfect..

insert.pause

First Grade
Yes, the NRL hit their target from a year ago, but they are mugs if they are now still satisfied considering what the AFL got, and what they have had to do to their draw with the proposed Friday 6pm game and next year with Thurs and Mon nights...

I'm not disappointed actually with what Fox have paid, but Nine have ended up paying about $150 Mil short at least, considering their 3 quality slots and Origin...compare it to what the AFL have been paid from Seven and there is a massive difference...

By the way - I'm hoping that you are objective on this issue, as I cant recall much from you in the way of criticism of the deal... I think anyone would have to acknowledge that its a long way from perfect..
My opinion is as objective as yours & I think anyone would have to acknowledge that the deal is a long way from terrible..

El Diablo

Post Whore
terrible was Gallop doing a 6 year deal for $500 million and then not long after the AFL got $780 million over 5 years

Perth Red

Post Whore
cant really compare the gallop era as the game was racked with conflicts of interest.

The original nine deal was great at $925mill for 4 fta games. That would have been an awesome outcome for the game IF they could have got Fox to stump up similar to what they have for 5 exclusive and 4 shared games. The Sat returned to Fox with the ninth game a Sunday evening FTA offering. The fact they have allowed them to cut a 1/3rd of the value whilst ditching a fta game sucks both monetary value and for fans and for expansion. That is what makes it a terrible deal really. Telstra also got it very cheaply compared to what they are paying AFL. I just hope none of the $625mill Nine are now paying is contra!

if AFL can get $700mill for 3.5fta games not in the best slots then we should have been able to achieve similar with SOO, audience size, prime slots and 4fta games, even accepting Doc's assumptions about playing time v audience size.

The Friday 6pm Fox game smacks of a situation set up to make the game fail. For what reason time will tell. Cant believe anyone in TV or NRL thinks it is a good idea.

El Diablo

Post Whore
if you ever bothered to read what 9 would get back should Fox simulcast then you wouldn't say what Smith did was so great

Perth Red

Post Whore
missed my point, the original $value and 4 fta games was great. the amount of deduction for simulcast and ditching of the 4th FTA game if Fox wanted it was terrible.

Ideally it would have played out that we ended up with around $750mill for 4fta games and Fox stumped up for 9 games simulcast with 5 exclusive. We let them both off lightly and Telstra even more so with basically free naming rights to the comp.

Oh well there's always next time!

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Once Richo comes out with the review I'd love to see channel Nine pay the Nrl the original $925 mil+ amount for two expansion teams (Brisbane 2 and Perth) for the ninth game. Wishful thinking.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Boat has sailed on expansion, no way ch9 or anyone else is going to buy a ninth game after the money has been paid out. Best hope is that they announce it around 2017 for a 2020 introduction in readiness for the next deal which is likely to be done around 2020-21.

What will be interesting in Richos report is if he suggests Sydney relocations. I think he will but the ARLC will bury it as an option.

El Diablo

Post Whore
y-u-no-broken-record_o_1120226.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
yes you are with your constant carping on about other posters. Contribute to the discussion or f**k off.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Original lol, like I said contribute to the discussion or f**k off, we're sick of your trolling other contributors.

Last edited:

Last Week

Bench
This is a joint statement released by both the NRL and the ARLC.

http://www.nrl.com/joint-statement-with-rlpa-on-scheduling/tabid/10874/newsid/91071/default.aspx

The NRL today met with representatives of the RLPA to discuss arrangements for the draw in the coming years and how the NRL and RLPA will work together throughout the process to deliver improved player wellbeing outcomes.

Critical to this will be the control of the draw from 2018, which the NRL secured in its recent negotiations with broadcasters, concluded on Friday last week.

NRL Head of Football Todd Greenberg said the NRL’s preliminary work had confirmed the ability to achieve a number of important outcomes through the control of the draw, of which improved player wellbeing outcomes was central.

Mr Greenberg said the talks had been productive and agreed further work would be done over the next fortnight, prior to the next ARL Commission meeting.

"Player wellbeing is a priority for the NRL and we are very mindful of the feedback from the playing group that they wish to see a decrease in five-day turnarounds," Mr Greenberg said.

"We have a unique situation in 2016 where we will have premiership matches from Thursday to Monday regularly and that created some challenges in terms of turnarounds.

"We were in a position during the recent broadcast negotiations to generate a significant amount of future revenue for the game by having a further season of matches across five days - from Thursday to Monday – in 2016.

"But our broadcast partners were ultimately supportive of our very clear stance that player wellbeing is a priority and, given our desire to improve upon the current incidences of short turnarounds, Monday Night Football would not form part of the schedule from 2017.

"I have told RLPA General President Clint Newton and Chief Executive Ian Prendergast today that we are targeting a 25 percent reduction in five-day turnarounds in the 2017 season."

Both parties today acknowledged that it was not possible to change next year’s draw.

However Mr Newton says he appreciates the willingness of the game’s broadcast partners to engage with the association and the NRL on player wellbeing in future. Mr Newton says the focus now is on resolving the concerns raised for the coming season.

"We have had a robust and productive discussion today with the NRL and have come out of the meeting with a list of actions for both parties," said Mr Newton. "The NRL has undertaken to explore a number of measures designed to offset the impact of the 5-Day turnaround in 2016.

"The RLPA objective now is to finalise a proposal that will be put to the Commission when it meets on 14 December with a view to resolving the immediate concerns of the playing group and outstanding matters surrounding the CBA mid-term review."

The NRL acknowledged that it did not follow the consultation process as agreed with the RLPA but will take the necessary steps to ensure the Association is properly consulted in future.

"We are continuing to analyse the impact of training workloads on players," Mr Greenberg said.

"We have proposed to undertake a joint initiative with the RLPA to research and identify what impact five-day turnarounds, training loads, travel as well as the duration of the playing season have on players.

"We held positive talks today with the RLPA and we will continue to do so in order to find the best possible outcome for all of our stakeholders."