What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal part 2

Are you happy with the new TV deal?

• Total voters

Last Week

Bench
The NRL acknowledged that it did not follow the consultation process as agreed with the RLPA but will take the necessary steps to ensure the Association is properly consulted in future.

I find this extremely worrying and poor.

Perth Red

Post Whore
par for the course since the commision took over. On one hand its good to see decisions being made for the good of the game but consultation with stakeholders prior to rubber stamping doesnt seem to be a trait of the commision. With Grant and Samuel leading it I am not surprised.

tumbidragon

First Grade
This. Can't believed they've f**ked it up so badly, concidering the great position they were in after the 9 deal. Disgrace

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
You sure you want to read Richos proposal

Already sounding like SL Mk II

Remember how the ARLC making all the NRL logos with the same template and people complained because that was something SuperLeague did??? Remember how everyone now hates "vision"?

Not everything associated with SL was terrible. The "vision" wasnt the problem, the excision was. The ARLC is smart enough not to tear the game apart to implement this and there are now other powers looking to take control.

I personally cannot wait for a competition that wasnt thrown together in random pieces...

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
So after all that was given away, the ARLC couldnt even get the rights to make its own draw brought forward....

I hate how rushed this has been. They should have just released the draw for this year in the same style as last and tried all their wheeling and dealing before 2017.

A week later i still cannot find any benefit for the NRL in changing the last 2 years of the current deal.

BlueandGold

Juniors
So after all that was given away, the ARLC couldnt even get the rights to make its own draw brought forward....

I hate how rushed this has been. They should have just released the draw for this year in the same style as last and tried all their wheeling and dealing before 2017.

A week later i still cannot find any benefit for the NRL in changing the last 2 years of the current deal.

Okay so the NRL brings the draw forward meaning

3 live games compared to 1 live signed in 2013 and all games simulcast on Fox for people that cant stand Ray and Gus arguing.

5 Saturday FTA games leading upto the finals.

The Only benefit is to the fans and i commend the NRL for doing this.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
A deal paying to cover the sport is structured to benefit TV broadcasters and enhance ratings potential.

I'm shocked. Shocked!

BuffaloRules

Coach
Of course the TV companies will push for the best times that suit them, but I was under the impression that now that the NRL is free of Media ownership and first and last rights clauses that they might be able to structure the draw a bit better to suit themselves..

Our competitor seems to be able to negotiate this.

There are a raft of competing issues when it comes to the broadcasting rights and just like the turnaround timeframes, some of them suffer during the heat of big money contractual negotiations.

During the next broadcast rights negotiation, it might be worth considering if a tender process be initiated in which the ARLC issues a tender specification that provides for a base level of conditions, & dispassionately removes the temptation during privately held negotiations, to give in to the broadcasters wishes in terms of issues like scheduling.

Then let the bidders compete for the rights but with acceptance & compliance with the games most important priorities.

BuffaloRules

Coach
it will control the draw from 2017

why are you complaining about something that has happened yet?

-I'm complaining that the NRL have agreed to corrupt the 2016 draw with both Thursday and Monday night games with apparently no consultation with the Players association when they had given other assurances.

-They still were not able to negotiate control in 2017 with what they have given up already.

-They agreed to 6pm Friday night game until 2022...

Look at this quote from Greenberg...

We were in a position during the recent broadcast negotiations to generate a significant amount of future revenue for the game by having a further season of matches across five days - from Thursday to Monday – in 2016.

So this additional revenue for changing the 2016 draw doesn't get paid until 2018?

Seems weak to me.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its great if your a fox sports subscriber, for most other things its pretty meh

Just waiting for the fine print around contra etc before deciding how meh it really is.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Well at least it made up my mind about keeping Foxtel or not lol.

For couch potato fans it is a good result: Worth subscribing to Fox for every game or at least we get 3 live FTA games

For the fan who likes to get out and watch their team it isn't looking so good with Thurs nights (and Mon for one year) and the 6pm Friday. Maybe the NRL/clubs will sweeten it a bit by reducing memberships or improving entertainment factor at games.

longer term maybe they will shuffle it around and have a 6:30pm Sydney Friday night game at SFS alongside more NZ games and the Ch9 game at 8.15pm?

Its great if your a fox sports subscriber, for most other things its pretty meh

Just waiting for the fine print around contra etc before deciding how meh it really is.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Stalker!

pretty consistent what I said both times, good for tv fans, bad for attendees, devil will be in the detail re value.

Latest posts