What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next TV rights deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

insert.pause

First Grade
Paul Kent was so salty on radio this morning about his beloved Fox being left out in the cold, claimed the total will be flat out topping $1.5 billion now.

LMAO.

It's very simply Paul, Fox either stumps up the $200 million/season for the 8 match simulcast or you'll be getting duck egg. Streaming services will be far more accessible in 2018 and a plethora of companies would love to have the major sporting code of the east coast as a sale point, there will be no cheap escape for your beloved Fox.

Fox could have 360 as lead ins into games on thursday's and friday's and have Matty Johns Show following thursday's game, there's so much fox can do with 8 games, and they really don't have much of a choice. The NRL would lose out on maybe $100m a season if they call fox' bluff and stream games, but fox would lose five times as much through loss of subscribers and advertising, which ultimately would also mean Kent's job.

flippikat

Bench
It's not that nrl will ask fox to own or pay for the expansion teams, more that they will have worked out the cost of a ninth game and be telling fox if you want a majority exclusive 5 games it will cost you X$ more for the ninth game. This x$ is the cost of the two expansion teams, officials etc needed to bring in two new teams.

Sucks that we don't have a long term plan for growth and expansion for the good of the game and still reliant on the whims of TV companies to dictate if and how our game grows, but that's RL for you!

Precisely. There's no way the NRL would cede ownership of a new club to News Ltd, because that goes against the reason why the independant commission was formed in the first place!

Besides, they have News Ltd in a corner, and they know it.

I can only hope that this expansion can show the doubters in existing clubs that expansion done right will GROW the pie, and every club benefits from that.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
It also shows had this been done in 1995 instead of bowing to Packer and Murdoch we could have saved a lot of clubs and pain.

Haffa

Sucks that we don't have a long term plan for growth and expansion for the good of the game and still reliant on the whims of TV companies to dictate if and how our game grows, but that's RL for you!

Like your beloved AFL which did exactly the same thing at a greater cost?

Nerd

Bench
The more I think about this the more the deal with Nein makes it crucial that Fox pony up some cash and soon. Look how much the media landscape has changed in the last few years who knows what it will be like at the end of 2022. If Fox try to low ball this time round and the NRL goes thanks but no thanks Fox will not only be stuffed from the drop in subscribers and advertising but by 2022 live streaming etc may be the norm.

LESStar58

Referee
Like your beloved AFL which did exactly the same thing at a greater cost?

True.

I'm all for expansion but not at the expense of the administrative coffers at Moore Park. Both AFL expansion teams are haemorraging money and they are teams that nobody cares about anyway. At least the push for rugby league expansion teams is coming from areas where ppl are interested.

slinkymoose

Juniors
Sorry if the question has been asked before but what is stopping the NRL being the competition to Fox. Why doesn't the NRL offer its own stream of all other games or even simulcast the lot for paid subscribers. The costs involved are a lot lower than they used to be and it will be a model other sports will likely adopt by 2018. The advantage is the content is even more accessible and available to a worldwide audience. I know lots of expats in Singapore and UK alone that would subscribe for all live games in an instant.

insert.pause

First Grade
There is so much fox can do with 8 games, they could have both a Super Saturday & Super Sunday, with their Monday game being replaced by a 6.30 Sunday game. By marketing them as Super Saturday & Super Sunday they are effectively positioning themselves as the primary broadcaster with 9 only getting pieces of the larger premier packages.

Last edited:

insert.pause

First Grade
Sorry if the question has been asked before but what is stopping the NRL being the competition to Fox. Why doesn't the NRL offer its own stream of all other games or even simulcast the lot for paid subscribers. The costs involved are a lot lower than they used to be and it will be a model other sports will likely adopt by 2018. The advantage is the content is even more accessible and available to a worldwide audience. I know lots of expats in Singapore and UK alone that would subscribe for all live games in an instant.
nothing is stopping them, but atm they don't have the infrastructure and it would be a very expensive investment to make, they need cameras & film crews etc and they still would be unlikely to make more than they could from fox initially, if ever.

docbrown

Coach
People who make business decisions based on a reactive emotion usually end up suffering for it.

That's not to say it can't happen but as for as an offer from Fox that low balls the NRL, like I said well really that just helps the NRL get more time to negotiate with other parties. It's in Fox's best interest to get this sorted asap but the NRL can afford to wait.

So people keep saying what's the alternative? Telstra's saying they don't want to play the sports rights game any more. Others claims Netflix, Google etc aren't ready or don't want it. The thing is $$$ are what count.

The problem for the NRL is that the early costs for setting up their own service to rival Fox's subscription platform is quite expensive and again you have ongoing problems. It's a lot of work. There's also no guarantees that you'll market it correctly and/or that viewers will migrate to the net platform.

Whereas if you get a third party to do it, yes you get a lower % share but the risk is lower. Believe me, this new organisation is all about Cost Benefit Analysis.

So say Fox aren't coming to the table straight up with a quality deal -- what the NRL can do is offer to these new players - yeah you might not want to/be able to match Fox's offer for the rights, but if you pay a certain % upfront you'll have NRL content available for your service.

That will help boost your traffic and subscription base and you also inflict a massive wound on your main competitor (Fox). Remember SMIs.

So essentially the NRL is piggybacking off an existing service and there's lower start up costs (most of these are paid for by the other company). The NRL rights are offered as a premium service package for extra $. The carrier keeps the smaller % of those annuals fees (remember they're benefiting from the overall subscriber boost & paid less upfront) and the NRL keeps the majority of the subscription fees. If it's a carrier that already has hundreds of thousands of existing subscribers, the NRL aren't starting their base from scratch.

Then what they do is make an agreement with ISP rival(s) to Telstra (Optus etc) so that those companies offer both the carrier & NRL as part of their network & potentially make them unmetered services. So now you have NRL+Carrier+Rival ISPs vs Fox & Telstra. They could even go one step further and say to other sports -- ditch Fox and join the new system.

Already before all this Telstra have started to question their sports pull out strategy. It's based on the premise that they can offer all the streaming services in one bundle. If those carriers go to rival ISPs, their strategy is dogmeat. They start pushing Fox Sports to concede.

And Fox Sports end up paying what they probably should've paid up front or the NRL leaves them behind and migrates to the system.

Remember -- none of that has to happen. It's just the threat of that.

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
Just on the Rumour about expansion clubs, does it actually mean fox will have control of these new clubs? If the Rumours true that fox will pay an extra 200 million to help start 2 extra clubs aren't fox only paying to get an extra time slot and maybe more subscribers in new areas? it doesn't mean they actually have any control over these new clubs?
I think nrl have a different approach to expansion. Nrl want the new clubs to be able to stand on their own two feet unlike gws and suns which are afl money pits. Gws and suns were made to effectively steal fans of the nrl and kill the nrl with the theory 'if people see 1 game of afl they'll be hooked'. I don't think the nrl will have that problem, they only want teams were there is a market for them, and if they put a team in Perth for example, they aren't arrogant enough to think they'll be more popular than west coast or freo and that there team would kill of the afl in the west like gws was supposed to do to the nrl in west sydney

insert.pause

First Grade
haha, they are starting to troll the NRL with the AFL now, so predictable.

This idiot should remember who his new executive co-chairman is & what happened to his Victorian predecessor.

News Corporation boss Robert Thomson says the multi-million dollar battle for the TV rights to NRL matches from 2018 is far from over.
Source: AAP

News Corp chief executive Robert Thomson says the multi-million dollar battle for NRL TV rights has become a contact sport itself.

The NRL on Monday sealed a $925 million, five-year deal with free-to-air broadcaster Nine for the rights to screen four live NRL matches a week, the top-rating State of Origin series and finals.

Foxtel, which is half-owned by News Corp, is still to finalise how much it will pay to broadcast the remaining four NRL matches each weekend from 2018 - and possibly simulcast Nine's matches.

Nine's new deal increases the number of matches the free-to-air network will screen and puts an end to Foxtel's lucrative Monday night matches.

Mr Thomson on Thursday likened the broadcast rights negotiations to a football match.

"As you well know, football rights are a contact sport themselves and the match for the NRL rights is probably at around half time and far from over," he told analysts during a briefing on News Corp's annual profit result.

"All I can say more about football rights is that I personally am an AFL tragic.

"And the specific outcome that I want to see this Saturday (is) ... an Essendon victory
."

Foxtel's current five-year, $550 million deal with the NRL expires in 2017.

Analysts estimate that the total value of NRL broadcast rights are on track to hit the forecast $1.7 billion.
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/08/13/news-corp-says-nrl-rights-battle-not-over

nrlnrl

First Grade
They directly mentioned it twice actually... once in 'not the NRL news' where they said something alone the lines of 'slow news week since we are not allowed to talk about the rights'

Second time was in when Fletch and Hindy interviewed Brandy and Sterlo. first question they said they wanted to talk about the elephant in the room then they had a graphic of an elephant come up and that was the end of it.

they were the other obvious ones but there were numerous other intimations. snickers when they mentioned channel 9, jobs status jokes etc etc

Sorry, but you've misinterpreted the shot of the elephant on the big screen ( 'the elephant in the room'), that was in reference to the ongoing feud between Peter Sterling & Paul Kent. Also, the 'not allowed to talk about the rights' was very tongue in cheek as is every 'Not The NRL News' each week.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
This is a very curious insight, could you elaborate any further?

Sorry, but you've misinterpreted the shot of the elephant on the big screen ( 'the elephant in the room'), that was in reference to the ongoing feud between Peter Sterling & Paul Kent. Also, the 'not allowed to talk about the rights' was very tongue in cheek as is every 'Not The NRL News' each week.

Firstly, that's not the way I saw it. the question was directed at both of them from what I remember. Although I could be mistaken.

And secondly, of course the reference tongue in cheek! how else would they say that they can't talk about the rights, not quite sure I see your point here.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

That seems to be the long term goal, but the biggest restraint ATM is infrustructure...

If Labor get back in next election and fund a proper NBN, then it could be a reality by the 2022 negotiations.

NrlCoach

Juniors
foxtel revenue falls by $239 million as customers switch over to online streaming service netflix… despite the pay tv service slashing monthly rates to just $25 a month

• foxtel revenue falls $239 million and profit down $72 million
  • cut-price $25 monthly pay-tv package fails to stop customers leaving
  • new pricing was brought in last november to take on likes of netflix
  • total foxtel subscribers now total 2.8 million
  • netflix is believed to have more than 1.8 million since launching in march
  • new research reveals both providers could successfully co-exist
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ice-slashing-monthly-rates-just-25-month.html
Netflix already killing them slowly.. They will have to go hard at the NRL right now especially since most of their subscribers are from NSW/QLD :lol:

Robert Thomson shouldnt be making comments about him being a afl tragic. Especially now as a foxtel subscriber i really dont need them now... t8me to send a email to foxtel about how im disappointed with the statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.