What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFL Trivia Thread

I guess that was to discourage forward passes back when it was a radical new idea.

The old Ohio State coach Woody Hayes, who preferred to run the ball, used to say that 3 things can happen on a pass and 2 of them are bad. Meaning an incomplete and an interception. It's good they got rid of that old rule, or the forward pass may never have developed.

SHAGMOP

Juniors
true. the passing feature of this game is what got me interested in this sport and keeps me interested. i love offence!

I broke down and looked at the NFL HOF website to find the other 2 Hall of Famers who played MLB. Ernie Nevers, whom I had heard of, pitched in the majors and gave up 2 home runs to babe Ruth in his record-breaking 1927 season. Morris 'Red' Badgro was another one, though I've never heard of him till I read that.

Oops, I just saw that the question asked for 4, and I've only got 3. i'll have to go back to the HOF site.

Clarence, "Ace" Parker, another old-timer I'd never heard of, also played a season of MLB.

So that's Parker, Halas, Nevers, and Badgro.

Assuming I'm right, who was the long-time NFL (and previously CFL) coach who played in the NBA?

Fin077

Juniors
Hmmm....over two weeks without a reply....Can we have a clue?

Has he coached in the NFL in the past 15 years?

Sorry, I forgot about this. He coached in the 70s and 80s, with 1 team only. Not a good Super Bowl record. Also coached Winnipeg in the CFL, very successfully.

And, played in the NBA in the 40s or early 50s, I believe.

Fin077

Juniors
I must admitt I did have a look around for this answer, but came across Bud Grant.

Took Winnipeg to 4 Grey Cup titles and then then took the Minnesota Vikings to 4 Superbowls in the 70's only to lose them all!

Played for the 1950 NBA champions Minneapolis Lakers.

Good work, Fin.

A lot of Canadian fans identified with the Vikes of the 70s, because of Grant and quarteback Joe Kapp having a CFL background. And because they were a cold weather team, before they got the indoor stadium. Grant was famous for not letting his team have any heating devices on the sideline, even in cold weather games. A carry-over from his days in the CFL.

Fin077

Juniors
Wow, thats really interesting......thanks CS!

Do you know what the situation was at the end of his time with the Vikes? Was he sacked or did he resign?

camsmith

Juniors
Hey all, im new here.... BIG BIG nfl fan!! should be an awesome season.. im a broncos supporter :D

alright.. i actually one day a year ago or so made a list of nfl questions :p must haave been bored... heres one of those questions..

True or False - During the 4 decades from the 1960s to the 1990s, there has been an overtime game that ended on a safety?

Bonus Question..(got it from some website)

In the infamous "coin flip" game, one team protested the coin flip. The referee misheard the team that called it correctly and handed it to the other team. The team that should have had the ball never got a chance on offense.
Which was the losing team? 8)

sunny

Off the top of my head, these are the answers to Cam's questions....

a.) Yes, one and only one OT game has ended in a safety, although buggered if I remember which one it was.

b.) Easy one. The Losing team was the Pittsburgh Steelers.....Thanksgiving Day '98.....a low point in the history of the NFL, that game.

sunny

Upon further review, the game to which i referred in a.) was the Vikings vs the Rams in November of '89, the Vikings winning 23-21 in OT after they blocked a punt and the ball rolled out the back of the end zone for a safety.

Latest posts