What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NFT - The Ashes Thread

I don't think they would be keen for Clarke to bat at 4 this early in his career. A possibility though, given Marto's p!ssweak form...

IanG

Coach
Well I think they might need that extra bowler. They only way we're gonna beat England is for us to bowl them out twice. As far as booking the open top bus, that might be getting a bit premature. Don't start the party just yet

Looks like Australia has scrapped the 5-man bowling lineup idea and will go with McGrath replacing Kaspa as our only change. This means that our 20 wickets are gonna have to come from McGrath, Tait, Lee and Warne.

I get the feeling Warney is gonna have to have a blinder...

Misanthrope

Staff member
Can't wait for the game to start! Before this year I never watched test cricket, but I got stuck with nothing to do in a Rockhampton motel and the second test was all I had to keep me company. Some may find religion... I found test cricket, heh.

chriswalkerbush said:
Can't wait for the game to start! Before this year I never watched test cricket, but I got stuck with nothing to do in a Rockhampton motel and the second test was all I had to keep me company. Some may find religion... I found test cricket, heh.

The more hell-bound among us might say you made the right choice!:lol:

IanG

Coach
chriswalkerbush said:

He he he. Exactly. Who said Test Cricket was dead?

Misanthrope

Staff member
The more hell-bound among us might say you made the right choice!

I'm thinking of combining the two into one thing. I mean, Gillespe looks kind of like Jesus. Steve Bucknor can be the Devil. Warney's nurse can be the Virgin Mary, and Steve Waugh can be Moses.

chriswalkerbush said:
I'm thinking of combining the two into one thing. I mean, Gillespe looks kind of like Jesus. Steve Bucknor can be the Devil. Warney's nurse can be the Virgin Mary, and Steve Waugh can be Moses.

For Australia to get out of the sh!t we have gotten ourselves into, we are gonna need Hayden, Langer and Ponting to be the Three Wise Men!

Also, it is highly doubtful that anyone who has ever had anything to do with Shane Warne would still be a virgin...

Misanthrope

Staff member
Also, it is highly doubtful that anyone who has ever had anything to do with Shane Warne would still be a virgin...

Wasn't it just dirty phone calls? I'm pretty sure you can escape one of them 'intact' :p

Misanthrope

Staff member
England were 3 for a shade over one hundred. Warney's single handedly taking them apart for us.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
The Aussies, through Warney, belong to the second hour of the first session. The first hour was all England, but now the Aussies are getting back into the game.

Nuffy

Bench
I just wish that Lee and Tait could find some form, both look out of sorts today. One more wicket and England are vulnerable.

Nuffy

Bench
4/213 at tea.

Yet again Aust has bowled without luck. Theres been plenty of plays and misses but no wickets.

I'm starting to lose interest in Tait, I know its his second test but hes just tooooooo erratic, plus wheres the reverse swing hes supposed to have.

If hes going to play any number of matches for Aust then he needs to develop some accuracy and if not accuracy, then he needs plenty of wickets.

Lady Luck where are you in our time of need????

Spitty

Juniors
Tait's showing some reverse swing and whenever he tosses it outside offstump he looks dangerous. But his straighter balls tend to drift toward leg and are easy pickens'. But in his last few overs that was the only way they were scoring off of him.

RABK

Referee
England v Australia, 5th Test, The Oval, 1st day

The Warne and Strauss show

Andrew Strauss and Shane Warne dominated a gripping opening day of the fifth and deciding Test at a sun-drenched Oval. Strauss hit a sublime hundred to help England recover from 131 for 4 to close on 319 for 7, while Warne took the first four wickets, finishing with 5 for 118

So stumps day one and England are 7-319.

Good lord i'm not looking forward to the day Warne retires, he's been our best batter and bowler this series.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Best batter!!! :lol: Nah I don't think so, he has been quite handy, but not quite our best batsman, that honour goes to Michael Clarke for sure :D

RABK

Referee
Giving that Clarke is supposed to be a top line batter and Warne just a tail wagger i'd say warne has him covered.

Ponting, Clarke and Langer all average more then Warne this series, though not by much at all, yet are down about 10 runs on their averages whil Warne is up by about 10 runs on his usual average.

Warne also has to bat with the Taile enders and doesn't get alot of support and often comes in 5 wickets down for 200 runs.....trying circumstances to say the least.

Aussie batter of the series = Shane Warne.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Although the averages will disagree with what ur saying RABK ;-) Ponting has the highest average out of all the Aussie batsman believe it or not. Second is Clarke.