What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No winners as NRL, cricket clash catches out Channel 9

Can you receive GEM and what should they show?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

supercharger

Juniors
Excuse me for enjoying more than one sport. I didn't realize I had to spend summer dreaming about the return of football.

Why would I want to watch two teams I don't give a rip about playing football rather than the Australian cricket team, who I support?
nodding.gif
This.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Not enough poll options here.

9 should show the footy, GEM show the cricket. At the conclusion of the footy, LIVE cricket should be switched over and shown on 9.
It would be stupid for them to be showing a delayed telecast on 9 and the end of the live coverage over on GEM.

It's what they did with the news last night - since the footy will rate comparatively to the news I imagine it's what they'll do in this scenario.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-13/cricket-australia-ducks-ch9-bouncers/3826804/?site=sydney

CA lobbies Nine to show cricket not NRL

Adrian Crawford

Updated February 14, 2012 01:35:52

Cricket Australia has asked broadcaster Channel Nine to decide what its priorities are ahead of an upcoming scheduling clash between cricket and rugby league.

The already long summer of cricket will run later than normal this year, setting up a head-on collision with the opening weekend of the NRL which was brought forward to accommodate representative fixtures later in the season.

Australia and Sri Lanka will meet at the MCG on March 2, the same night as the Parramatta Eels host the Brisbane Broncos in the opening Friday night NRL match of the year.

Two days later the first tri-series final at the Gabba overlaps with Nine's Sunday NRL broadcast of the round one match between 2011 grand finalists the Sea Eagles and the Warriors.

Either the cricket or the rugby league will be relegated to Nine's digital channel Gem and the broadcaster is yet to decide which.

Cricket Australia's general manager for public affairs Peter Young spoke on Grandstand Breakfast arguing that international sport needs to remain on the Nine network's main channel.

"We scheduled that game [Australia v Sri Lanka] well ahead of the NRL deciding to bring its season forward a little bit," Young said.

"Channel Nine now has an issue, particularly in Sydney and Brisbane, of deciding which game to put where.

"Our argument is simple: any time Australia plays, there are well over a million Australians tuning in to watch.

"It's blockbuster television and international sport should always be on the main channel."

Young defended the jam-packed schedule Australia has faced this summer - two Tests against New Zealand, four against India, a pair of Twenty20 games, the 15-match tri-series, and the domestic 20 and 50-over tournaments.

"The world plays a lot of cricket and it's not just us making unilateral decisions about where and when we play cricket," he said.

"We have to fit in with the rest of the world and persuade the rest of the world to try to fit in to us.

"We came up with what we regard as the best fit considering [India's] obligations, our obligations and what the Australian public wants.

"That's pushed us a little later into the year than we would traditionally go."

nqboy

First Grade
"Our argument is simple: any time Australia plays, there are well over a million Australians tuning in to watch. It's blockbuster television and international sport should always be on the main channel."

You take Sydney and Brisbane our of those viewing figures and suddenly your national audience will be well under a million.

ODIs haven't been blockbuster television for years. Should international ping pong be on the main channel just beacuse it's international? He-of- the-silly-bow ties can talk it up as much as he likes but Round 1 of the NRL will always draw more people in Sydney and Brisbane than some tired old cricket.

whall15

Coach
If the cricket wants to be on the main channel then move the cricket match to another day.

jimmee007

Juniors
I watch cricket only because id rather watch sport than my kitchen rules.

I would rather watch 2 NRL teams i dont follow battle it out at 7:30, then after watch the last 10 overs of the cricket at 9:30

For me cricket is something to fill in time between the NRL seasons.

Hutty1986

Immortal
This really should be a non-issue. It's round one of the NRL ffs and between two very popular sides. P*ss the cricket off onto Gem, sorted.

MSIH

Bench
Massive cricket fan, but I struggle to stay glued to ODI's. I'll flick between both. Can't believe there's so much hoopla over it, the only people missing out are the people who are either too lazy to have digital TV or don't care much about TV/sport anyway.

Big Sam

First Grade
The clash is on March 2nd. Last time I checked summer finished on the 29th of February. So this clash falls officially in footy season meaning the cricket should go on GEM.

El Diablo

Post Whore
if 9 shaft the NRL then i hope it's starts raining and they are on and off during the cricket. be even better if it's a dead rubber and it flops for 9

no name

Coach
The NRL will be moved. 9 won't even show the WCC live in front of the Today show, a movie from the 50's, infomercials and cartoons. Getting on the main channel in front of the cricket will not happen.

Raiderdave

First Grade
F the Cricket

its Cricket from 2pm to 6pm on the main channel nationally then the Cricket is on gem in NSW .. the ACT & QLD after the dinner break

& the NRL on main channel in these states from 7.30pm
& the cricket in the rest of the country on the main channel

the new rights deal for 2013 onward is be discussed right now
flicking the NRL for an ODI that no one cares about .... would go down like a f@rt in an elevator with the ARLC

I dare channel 9 to put the cricket ahead of our game
I dare them :sch:

docbrown

Coach
Sunday Night's second session rated 364,000 & 248,000 in Sydney & Brisbane.
Friday Night's second session rated 300,000 & 191,000 in Sydney & Brisbane.

Last year South vs Roosters rated 416,000 in Sydney and as the 9:30pm game rated 241,000 in Brisbane.

Year before that Par vs SGI rated 526,000 in Sydney.

The NRL will outrate the Cricket in Sydney & Brisbane.

Valheru

Coach
The clash is on March 2nd. Last time I checked summer finished on the 29th of February. So this clash falls officially in footy season meaning the cricket should go on GEM.

Actually part of the reason for the clash is that usually neither is being played. It is true that cricket is running late but NRL is also abnormally early.

Fox sports knew about the date of the cricket for ages so I am unsure why they just didn’t defer the stand alone Friday night game to fox and air a live Saturday night game for the 1st week. They could have requested the Parra/Broncs game for the Saturday and one of the current sat night games could have been on the Friday. The season opener on the Thursday would have remained.

whall15

Coach
Parramatta vs Brisbane, first Friday night game of the season would pull more than a million.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Sunday Night's second session rated 364,000 & 248,000 in Sydney & Brisbane.
Friday Night's second session rated 300,000 & 191,000 in Sydney & Brisbane.

Last year South vs Roosters rated 416,000 in Sydney and as the 9:30pm game rated 241,000 in Brisbane.

Year before that Par vs SGI rated 526,000 in Sydney.

The NRL will outrate the Cricket in Sydney & Brisbane.

the Parra V Broncos NRL game shown live in Sydney & Brisbane would attract 800K veiwers ... easily
its a no brainer really

nqboy

First Grade
Has this actually been sorted yet? Or are they still deliberating?
Nein will wait as long as possible to see if the cricket has any meaning before making a decision. If it's a dead rubber, it's a no-brainer and even Nein, with no brains at all, could make that decision.