What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No winners as NRL, cricket clash catches out Channel 9

Can you receive GEM and what should they show?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nqboy

First Grade
if 9 shaft the NRL then i hope it's starts raining and they are on and off during the cricket. be even better if it's a dead rubber and it flops for 9
I don't need Nein to shaft the footy to hope for all that other stuff. FMD, these mongrels have screwed us for years, where's the Nein-hate?

no name

Coach
LeagueWeek Rugby League Week

Manly and #rugbyleague tragics rejoice! The World Club Challenge will be broadcast LIVE on GEM, Saturday, 6:45am. #WCC

Thanks El D. I wonder if 9 will let anyone know it's on.

Springs

First Grade
Will the World Club Challenge be on Fox too? I found out I can't get GEM. I can get Go but not GEM for whatever reason.

Tommax25

Bench
I feel like Cricket and NRL are both doing their best to avoid the ratings killer that will be the GSL finals on March 3rd.

Smiley

Bench
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/brisbane-broncos-fans-the-big-winners-in-battle-for-free-to-air-television-coverage/story-e6frep5x-1226271167324

Brisbane Broncos fans the big winners in battle for free-to-air television coverage

BRISBANE Broncos fans are set to be the big winners in the battle with cricket for live free-to-air television coverage at the start of the NRL season.

The Courier-Mail understands Channel 9 will show the Friday night, March 2, Parramatta v Broncos match from Parramatta Stadium live into Queensland and NSW on their main channel.

In the case of Queensland that will mean a 6.30pm start, because daylight saving will still be in operation in NSW. It appears Channel 9 are willing to show the football at the expense of its usual programs, A Current Affair and Excess Baggage.

The one-day cricket international between Australia and Sri Lanka at the MCG is set to be shown on Nine's secondary channel GEM.

The bad news for Queensland league fans is that the opening game of the NRL season between Wayne Bennett-coached Newcastle Knights and his former club St George Illawarra at Newcastle's Ausgrid Stadium on Thursday, March 1, will not be shown live.

It will be on one hour delay at 7.30pm (Qld time).

Channel 9 will not telecast any NRL action on Sunday, March 4 because of its commitments to cover the first of the one-day cricket finals from the Gabba.

That means the grand final re-match between Manly and the Warriors from Auckland's Eden Park will be shown live on Fox Sports from 11am (Qld time). The other Sunday match is between Wests Tigers and Cronulla at Leichhardt Oval, with a 1pm kick-off (Qld time).

Saturday's World Club Challenge final between Manly and Leeds from Headingley in England will be shown live on GEM at 5.45am and replayed at 2.30pm on Nine's main channel. Fox Sports also will have a replay at 9am.

It is understood Channel 9 is close to finalising a deal with the Queensland Rugby League to televise Intrust Super Cup games, with matches likely to be shown before Nine's regular 4pm Sunday NRL replays.

But there is a chance the coverage of the ISC will remain with the ABC.

I thought the Manly v Warriors game was on nine before the cricket? NSW only?

I'm all for the Queensland Cup on nine but only if the games remain live.

docbrown

Coach
The Manly vs Warriors game isn't on in NSW at all.

Apparently the 2 fans of I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitch will get annoyed.

El Diablo

Post Whore
from the article in the first post

The NRL has already made a number of agreements with Channel Nine to avoid any further clashes with the cricket.
It announced a stand-alone Thursday night season-opener between Wayne Bennett's Newcastle Knights and his former club St George Illawarra, scheduling the season's first episode of The Footy Show after the match.

And to avoid a clash with the first one-day final at the Gabba on Sunday, March 4, it has moved away from its regular 4pm delayed telecast and instead will broadcast the match between Manly and the Warriors at Eden Park live at noon, just in time for the cricket to start.

Canard

Immortal
Brisbane Broncos fans the big winners in battle for free-to-air television coverage

BRISBANE Broncos fans are set to be the big winners in the battle with cricket for live free-to-air television coverage at the start of the NRL season.

The Courier-Mail understands Channel 9 will show the Friday night, March 2, Parramatta v Broncos match from Parramatta Stadium live into Queensland and NSW on their main channel.

In the case of Queensland that will mean a 6.30pm start, because daylight saving will still be in operation in NSW. It appears Channel 9 are willing to show the football at the expense of its usual programs, A Current Affair and Excess Baggage.

The one-day cricket international between Australia and Sri Lanka at the MCG is set to be shown on Nine's secondary channel GEM.

The bad news for Queensland league fans is that the opening game of the NRL season between Wayne Bennett-coached Newcastle Knights and his former club St George Illawarra at Newcastle's Ausgrid Stadium on Thursday, March 1, will not be shown live.

It will be on one hour delay at 7.30pm (Qld time).

Channel 9 will not telecast any NRL action on Sunday, March 4 because of its commitments to cover the first of the one-day cricket finals from the Gabba.

That means the grand final re-match between Manly and the Warriors from Auckland's Eden Park will be shown live on Fox Sports from 11am (Qld time). The other Sunday match is between Wests Tigers and Cronulla at Leichhardt Oval, with a 1pm kick-off (Qld time).

Saturday's World Club Challenge final between Manly and Leeds from Headingley in England will be shown live on GEM at 5.45am and replayed at 2.30pm on Nine's main channel. Fox Sports also will have a replay at 9am.

It is understood Channel 9 is close to finalising a deal with the Queensland Rugby League to televise Intrust Super Cup games, with matches likely to be shown before Nine's regular 4pm Sunday NRL replays.

But there is a chance the coverage of the ISC will remain with the ABC.

Excess Baggage isn't showing on the main channel anymore, all it means is they will not show the 999th repeat of Big Bang Theory or Two and Half Men.

Accordingly I wonder why they can't at least show the Thursday game at 7pm?

Not that a 1 hour delay is a big deal.

Raiderdave

First Grade
The Manly vs Warriors game isn't on in NSW at all.

Apparently the 2 fans of I Dream of Jeannie and Bewitch will get annoyed.

exactly

why the F isn't it on gem instead ?:?

I have foxtel so it won't worry me
but holy sh.it storm

If I were a Manly fan & didn't have it
I'd be livid
ready to kill someone :twisted:

El Diablo

Post Whore
exactly

why the F isn't it on gem instead ?:?

I have foxtel so it won't worry me
but holy sh.it storm

If I were a Manly fan & didn't have it
I'd be livid
ready to kill someone :twisted:

it is on 9 at 12pm before the cricket according to the SMH

Quidgybo

Bench
Excess Baggage isn't showing on the main channel anymore, all it means is they will not show the 999th repeat of Big Bang Theory or Two and Half Men.

Accordingly I wonder why they can't at least show the Thursday game at 7pm?

Not that a 1 hour delay is a big deal.

Aside from this year's unusual situation, Friday night matches played at 7.30pm Sydney time have always been shown on delay into Queensland during the early rounds. It's the price of not having Daylight Saving. Usually it's covered up in round one by having a Queensland home game as part of a doubleheader, but with the Thursday night / Friday night split this year you're back to being one hour behind the rest of the east coast.

Leigh.

Latest posts