What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gronk

Staff member
Just heard him say on the ABC that when he won his first BO the prize pool was £700.

Incorrect

Coach
Superb player in his day. You don't win 5 British Opens by accident.
Just reading about his passing now. 5 Open championships in 10 years and finished 2nd three times in that same period!! That is Nadal/French Open type domination.... Also read that he largely steered clear of the US tour during his career.... But then joined the Champions tour in the 80's and won 9 times there just for the hell of it....

What a talent. Vale Mr Thomson

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Quit talking shit @hindy111

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...f/news-story/0d9f772a92db24c6797e40b7b5c23ca4

Teen’s terrifying face-off with ‘Glenwood panther’, claims dog even ‘sh*t herself’

WHAT would you do if you saw an oversized cat 1.25 metres long with razor sharp teeth? Run. That’s what this terrified teen and his dog did.

‘PANTHER’ sightings seem to be a thing in Australia.

Only a few weeks ago a man claimed to have spotted a mysterious catlike creature in the Blue Mountains, reported to be five times the size of a feral cat.

Now, a teenage boy from Queensland swears he came face-to-face with a monstrous feline in the driveway of his Glenwood home.

James Fowler told news.com.au thathe had seen the 1.25 metre long panther on Tuesday after his dog started madly barking about 1am.

Mr Fowler described it as having black shiny fur, with an orange patch on its backside, pointy ears and razor-sharp teeth about 5cm long.

“Quite honestly, I sh*t myself,” Mr Fowler said. “I’ve never seen anything like it in my life.

“It started hissing and growling at me.

“I don’t run from anything, but I ran from it.

“When I got back to the house I had a bit of a panic attack, my legs were shaking, I was pretty petrified.”

Mr Fowler said while he hasn’t seen the massive cat since, he is adamant it is no myth. Folklore dictates the “Glenwood panther” is the descendant of a big cat which escaped from the circus in the late 1800s and bred with local feral cats.

Mr Fowler said even his dog Buffy “sh*t herself” when confronted by the intruder, and he wanted to see the animal captured before someone was hurt. But as he didn’t get a chance to take a picture of the feline, Mr Fowler said some locals were questioning if he even saw it.

“Some of them just don’t believe me, they would ask where the photos are for proof, but how am I supposed to pull out my phone when I’m sh*tting bricks,” he told news.com.au.

A Fraser Coast Regional Council spokesman said when Mr Fowler’s partner Zavanna Larkin called two days ago to report the unusually-sized feline, a compliance officer went out to inspect the area.

“He went and patrolled the area but he couldn’t find anything,” the spokesman told news.com.au

“Officers will continue to patrol the area as they normally would.”

Locals claim to have seen repeated sightings of the feline prowling the woods of the Fraser Coast hinterland for about 10 years, but according to the council spokesman, there’s been no other reports.

“We do urge locals to report feral animals,” he said.

One local authority that has been getting reports is Gympie Regional Council.

A spokeswoman for the council said there had been two sightings of big cats reported to officers in the past year.

Reports have described the animal as being a large black cat and “like a panther”, the council spokeswoman told the Fraser Coast Chronicle.

“Apart from occasional reported sightings, council have not been able to collect evidence or images of such animals in the Gympie region, and therefore there is no immediate cause for alarm,” she said.

The Gympie region has previously been dubbed a Queensland hotspot for big cat sightings.

Bazal

Post Whore
I actually remember some biologist finding supposed big cat sign in the Blue Mountains a few years ago. Obviously nothing ever came of it...

They used to reckon there was a panther or big cat of some kind up around the Barrington Tops and whatnot. My grandparents had a place way back in the bush near Dungog and one night we heard these calls that were nothing I've ever heard before or since. I don't know if it was a panther, but you could definitely have convinced most people it was some kinda big cat.

I actually remember some biologist finding supposed big cat sign in the Blue Mountains a few years ago. Obviously nothing ever came of it...

They used to reckon there was a panther or big cat of some kind up around the Barrington Tops and whatnot. My grandparents had a place way back in the bush near Dungog and one night we heard these calls that were nothing I've ever heard before or since. I don't know if it was a panther, but you could definitely have convinced most people it was some kinda big cat.
I don't pay a lot of attention but it seems like one of the less implausible stories. As time goes on though, with no potential mates, obviously the odds decrease.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't pay a lot of attention but it seems like one of the less implausible stories. As time goes on though, with no potential mates, obviously the odds decrease.

Well putting my weird stuff nerd hat on, there are a couple of theories. Obviously escaped animals is one theory, certainly plausible especially given the weird shit folks used to do back in ye olden days. It's not at all impossible as you say for there to be an established population of big cats in Australia, and cats don't actually need all that much genetic diversity to survive in small numbers.

Second is probably less likely and involves something extinct not being so extinct. Usually thylacoleo.

Third is that it's just massive feral cats that have grown big or benefited from one of the side effects of hybrid genes. Which is completely plausible when folks shoot things like this f**ker

images

They've all but confirmed big cats of some description in the UK

Well putting my weird stuff nerd hat on, there are a couple of theories. Obviously escaped animals is one theory, certainly plausible especially given the weird shit folks used to do back in ye olden days. It's not at all impossible as you say for there to be an established population of big cats in Australia, and cats don't actually need all that much genetic diversity to survive in small numbers.

Second is probably less likely and involves something extinct not being so extinct. Usually thylacoleo.

Third is that it's just massive feral cats that have grown big or benefited from one of the side effects of hybrid genes. Which is completely plausible when folks shoot things like this f**ker

images

They've all but confirmed big cats of some description in the UK
Where is that from? Looks like outback Australia.

Bazal

Post Whore
Where is that from? Looks like outback Australia.
Arnhem Land that one

I'd imagine they get even bigger in better habitat.

There's this one from Gippsland too but it's hard to say how big it really is with the forced perspective. It was tested and found to be a domestic cat, though

images

Arnhem Land that one

I'd imagine they get even bigger in better habitat.

There's this one from Gippsland too but it's hard to say how big it really is with the forced perspective. It was tested and found to be a domestic cat, though

images
The second one looks a bit dodgy but the first looks solid.

Bazal

Post Whore
IIRC the second one was still a record at the time, but yeah the forced perspective makes it very tough to trust.

Still, you put something the size of that first one in front of a startled bushwalker, make it black, and a lot of folks are gonna say they saw a panther. Easy to misjudge size with a quick glance it when the cat scares the shit out of you.

I had a panther put the front of my place at 4am coming home pissed one night. f**king neighbours cat gave me a heart attack

hindy111

Post Whore

Someone having a f**k

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Quit talking shit @hindy111

https://www.news.com.au/technology/...f/news-story/0d9f772a92db24c6797e40b7b5c23ca4

Teen’s terrifying face-off with ‘Glenwood panther’, claims dog even ‘sh*t herself’

WHAT would you do if you saw an oversized cat 1.25 metres long with razor sharp teeth? Run. That’s what this terrified teen and his dog did.

‘PANTHER’ sightings seem to be a thing in Australia.

Only a few weeks ago a man claimed to have spotted a mysterious catlike creature in the Blue Mountains, reported to be five times the size of a feral cat.

Now, a teenage boy from Queensland swears he came face-to-face with a monstrous feline in the driveway of his Glenwood home.

James Fowler told news.com.au thathe had seen the 1.25 metre long panther on Tuesday after his dog started madly barking about 1am.

Mr Fowler described it as having black shiny fur, with an orange patch on its backside, pointy ears and razor-sharp teeth about 5cm long.

“Quite honestly, I sh*t myself,” Mr Fowler said. “I’ve never seen anything like it in my life.

“It started hissing and growling at me.

“I don’t run from anything, but I ran from it.

“When I got back to the house I had a bit of a panic attack, my legs were shaking, I was pretty petrified.”

Mr Fowler said while he hasn’t seen the massive cat since, he is adamant it is no myth. Folklore dictates the “Glenwood panther” is the descendant of a big cat which escaped from the circus in the late 1800s and bred with local feral cats.

Mr Fowler said even his dog Buffy “sh*t herself” when confronted by the intruder, and he wanted to see the animal captured before someone was hurt. But as he didn’t get a chance to take a picture of the feline, Mr Fowler said some locals were questioning if he even saw it.

“Some of them just don’t believe me, they would ask where the photos are for proof, but how am I supposed to pull out my phone when I’m sh*tting bricks,” he told news.com.au.

A Fraser Coast Regional Council spokesman said when Mr Fowler’s partner Zavanna Larkin called two days ago to report the unusually-sized feline, a compliance officer went out to inspect the area.

“He went and patrolled the area but he couldn’t find anything,” the spokesman told news.com.au

“Officers will continue to patrol the area as they normally would.”

Locals claim to have seen repeated sightings of the feline prowling the woods of the Fraser Coast hinterland for about 10 years, but according to the council spokesman, there’s been no other reports.

“We do urge locals to report feral animals,” he said.

One local authority that has been getting reports is Gympie Regional Council.

A spokeswoman for the council said there had been two sightings of big cats reported to officers in the past year.

Reports have described the animal as being a large black cat and “like a panther”, the council spokeswoman told the Fraser Coast Chronicle.

“Apart from occasional reported sightings, council have not been able to collect evidence or images of such animals in the Gympie region, and therefore there is no immediate cause for alarm,” she said.

The Gympie region has previously been dubbed a Queensland hotspot for big cat sightings.
Big cat signings in Gympie, isn’t that where Dave Taylor lives now???