What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gronk

Staff member

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Amazing, just like thier original sound. Many tributes to Dimebag too.

Right from the start they played a vid with their original line up before the band came onto the stage and there were many tributes to Dimebag during the show.

Worth the entry fee just to see them play.
When it was first announced I wondered how it would sound because Zakk Wylde is such a unique (but amazing) guitar player in his own right.

The stuff I’ve seen on YouTube is pretty good and faithful to the original sound…and at 55 Phil still sounds like a beast.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
A - I make a general comment
B- Twizzle has a difference of opinion.
C- We discuss this fairly relationally in what I'd call a debate.
D - Gronk jumps in and a discussion becomes an argument.
E - Gronk losing argument to a more intelligent human so puts foot down to end the original exchange of ideas and opinions of two others with a childish comment. Actually he brings family into it. ( Against rules of forum btw )
F- Gronk deletes this post cause he didn't like it.
G - Gary comes in and says something irrelevant.

Purple monkey dishwasher.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
When it was first announced I wondered how it would sound because Zakk Wylde is such a unique (but amazing) guitar player in his own right.

The stuff I’ve seen on YouTube is pretty good and faithful to the original sound…and at 55 Phil still sounds like a beast.
Did Zakk Wylde play with them, shitty i didn't go and see them. Would of been one for the bucket list.

Gronk

Staff member
I imagine Harry Syles would attract 14yld girls. Splendour is for 18-30ylds.
Kids these days love nostalgia and retro. Kylie was a nice addition.
E - You have no kids so out of your depth

The bolded bits are where you are wrong. You are clinging into this like Jack Dawson and the Titanic door.

HS has headlined Coachella and Lollapolloza which are both 18+. His market is hardly just Yr9 girls.

Splendour signed both Kylie and Arcade Fire. AF are all 50 years old. Kylie must be 55. So tell me again who go to Splendour ?

18-30 year olds would not even know who Arcade Fire are or Mumford n Sons, Florence & the Machine from other years.

The only time they tried hard IMHO was Kendrick Lamar.

hindy111

Post Whore

“We need government at the table to help us through this period and assist in stabilising our industry to sustainable levels,” Wilson wrote. “This needs a national approach.
“The Australian Festival Association call on the Albanese Labor Government to substantially increase and continue the Live Music Australia grants for festivals in the upcoming federal budget.

We call on State Governments to support music festivals with time-limited funding to help us through the next two seasons.
“The Minns Labor Government, in particular, must ease the regulatory pressures being faced with user pays police, liquor licencing and medical and ambulance costs.
“The Allan Labor Government must outline their Live Music Major Events Fund.”
After calling on governments, Wilson urged festivalgoers to purchase tickets early.
The statement continued, “We acknowledge the current poor strength of the Australian dollar and high travel costs impacting the ability of festival promoters to entice headline artists from overseas, further impacting peoples’ demand for tickets when disposable incomes are tight.
“If we all step back and let market conditions determine our future, cancellations will continue. Do we, as a community, want to lose more of Australia’s favourite cultural events?”
The cancellation of Splendour In The Grass also prompted Greens Senator Sarah Hanson-Young to call for more government support for Australian festivals.

hindy111

Post Whore
Groove in the moo was also cancelled earlier this year. Such a shame

The music industry is under threat.
I was in bands for over 15yrs and I have played at Homebake a few times which was a great all Australian bands music festival. I now build amps for musicians. I have friends who currently work and write for music magazines.

All we need to do is get Harry Styles. f**k me

Suitman

Post Whore
Kids these days eh?

My 20 y.o. daughter has just put together a playlist of over 150 songs on Spotify of songs from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.
Songs that I used to play on CD's on long road trips and music that she used to hear while in the car from 2MMM.
She (and her friends) absolutely love music from my era.
My other daughter is the same.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Kids these days eh?

My 20 y.o. daughter has just put together a playlist of over 150 songs on Spotify of songs from the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.
Songs that I used to play on CD's on long road trips and music that she used to hear while in the car from 2MMM.
She (and her friends) absolutely love music from my era.
My other daughter is the same
I am 30 this year but i like a good mix of young and old. And plenty of different genres.

It doesn't bother me what generation or era they came from.

Good music is good music for me.

Having been overseas in the past few years and done a few country music nights on tours in Texas and Canada I am starting to listen to that a bit more.

I wasn't really into Elvis that much until I did Graceland tour in 2022. I can't imagine what Elvis would have been like if he lived in this generation. But gee he seemed like a rockstar of all rockstars. If anyone hasn't been there its amazing the memorabilia they have kept in the museum. They have thrown nothing out I reckon.

Eelogical

Referee
I am 30 this year but i like a good mix of young and old. And plenty of different genres.

It doesn't bother me what generation or era they came from.

Good music is good music for me.

Having been overseas in the past few years and done a few country music nights on tours in Texas and Canada I am starting to listen to that a bit more.

I wasn't really into Elvis that much until I did Graceland tour in 2022. I can't imagine what Elvis would have been like if he lived in this generation. But gee he seemed like a rockstar of all rockstars. If anyone hasn't been there its amazing the memorabilia they have kept in the museum. They have thrown nothing out I reckon.
We did the Graceland thing in 2019 as part of a Southern Sounds tour out of New Orleans. Stayed at the Guest House at Graceland for a night and visited his family house in Tupelo as well. I'm not an Elvis fan as such but Mrs Eelo is. Dining at Marlow's on Elvis Presley Blvd was something special.

the phantom menace

First Grade

I was in bands for over 15yrs and I have played at Homebake a few times which was a great all Australian bands music festival. I now build amps for musicians. I have friends who currently work and write for music magazines.

Were you a member of TISM?

Gronk

Staff member

Actually if you look at the 2023/24 festival calendar, there were still a lot on.

And still more to come in 2024.

As much as you say that it’s a tragedy that Splendour and GITM were cancelled, Listen Out, Good Things, Knotfest, Laneway etc are getting 50,000+.

GITM and Splendour are / were both being held in regional centres. Maybe there’s something to that ?

No mate. We probably didn't reach their heights. But I have been jamming again and hope to be back on stage in the next 6mths just doing small local gigs around the inner west.

On a slightly related note. I know you make your own amps, but what what do you reckon the best options are broadly available (2nd hand is fine) small combo valve amps with a sound profile like a Mesa Boogie 22? Obviously there are plenty of old Mesa Boogie 22's around, but is there anything else I should look for? I'm thinking of getting my old Fender out of the back shed.

the phantom menace

First Grade
No mate. We probably didn't reach their heights. But I have been jamming again and hope to be back on stage in the next 6mths just doing small local gigs around the inner west.
I loved Homebake, and used to go in every year to the Domain back in the day. Even got to go on stage once in 2011, as a contestant when they did a RockWiz session on the smaller stage just before/after The Triffids.