What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You're a silly billy.

I have no doubt he would charge less to perform at a festival 5-7 minutes drive from his home than in Bumf**k NSW. For the same reason, Taylor Swift only performed in Sydney and Melbourne instead of every capital in the country.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
No mate. We probably didn't reach their heights. But I have been jamming again and hope to be back on stage in the next 6mths just doing small local gigs around the inner west.
Do you think that calling your band ‘Volcanic s**t’ is wise?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
E - You have no kids so out of your depth
My daughter is into K-pop. She is the only kid she knows who likes it, and I guarantee if any K-pop merkins tour Australia there's only two cities they're coming to. Live music is a geography problem these days, like most social problems.

hindy111

Post Whore
On a slightly related note. I know you make your own amps, but what what do you reckon the best options are broadly available (2nd hand is fine) small combo valve amps with a sound profile like a Mesa Boogie 22? Obviously there are plenty of old Mesa Boogie 22's around, but is there anything else I should look for? I'm thinking of getting my old Fender out of the back shed.

I don't know heaps about Messas. But for home use Nothing over 15W really needed. With a nice 12inch Alinco speaker.
Favourite amps are Princeton Reverbs and putting a 12 in them

hindy111

Post Whore
Can you put more than 12 in them?

In a 15W? I mean you can but you want to be able to push it to the sweet spot. If you put 2 x 12inches in parallel it wouldn't drive it hard enough so it would stay to clean and no real compression. It would stay far to tight.
I've experimented with 4 x 6 inches and even 1 big 15inch but I personaly find 12 inch is perfect for home use. It gets the job done and don't have to worry about blowing it.

Gronk

Staff member
They jailed (gaoled) that merkin from FTXS today for 25 years. I was thinking; how the f**k can you be worth 25 billion and then f**k it up ? Good article below with timelines.

The answer is that he was a rank amateur in charge of a f**k tonne of cash, was borrowing to rapidly expand and got caught out in his own industry fluctuations. Did he employ a CFO or was he not brave enough to take conservative advice from his CFO ? He has 25 years to think about it.

Not gunna lie, kimchi trading or whatever they called it, seems to be a merkin of a way to get rich.

hindy111

Post Whore
One funny thing I find with Fender is they will randomly put the reverb tank in with inputs either facing speaker or away. What it is doing is having the input facing the mains transformer or the output. If it's the wrong way you get this little hum. Suprises me such a large manufacturer makes this error that takes about 2mins to fix and quieten the amp down at idle

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Did Zakk Wylde play with them, shitty i didn't go and see them. Would of been one for the bucket list.

they have lost nothing and sound exactly like they did way back when

I'd say they have rehearsed a lot to maintain that original sound as its very unique

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
In a 15W? I mean you can but you want to be able to push it to the sweet spot. If you put 2 x 12inches in parallel it wouldn't drive it hard enough so it would stay to clean and no real compression. It would stay far to tight.
I've experimented with 4 x 6 inches and even 1 big 15inch but I personaly find 12 inch is perfect for home use. It gets the job done and don't have to worry about blowing it.

I have a Fender Rumbles 25 and I can confirm that the neighbours are not impressed.

15 would have been plenty for home use.

hindy111

Post Whore
I have a Fender Rumbles 25 and I can confirm that the neighbours are not impressed.

15 would have been plenty for home use.

What a lot of people don't understand is speaker efficiency. So a 12 inch speaker that's 100db compared to one that's 95db is atleast 35% louder. Forget watts. That's just power handling.
A 12W amp with a 100db speaker would be just as loud as a 22w amp with a 95db speaker....
At home I play thru 6w champ clones running 2 x INCH. They are plenty for bedrooms. Just a little thin sounding I guess but still sweet.
People gig with 14W amps.