What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

North American Challenge Cup?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Buddy - The AMNRL are not Recognized by the RLEF which is the body in charge of the Northern Hemisphere. The Fact the AMNRL are recognized by the RLIF but not the RLEF is quite interesting isnt it?? Meaning the AMNRL is not a real governing body as its more like a governing ego?
That's an interesting point, have the USARL considered approaching the RLEF?

spooky

Juniors
It doesn't have to be that expensive.

If you could get 32 sides to participate over the US, Canada and Jamacia you could have the first two rounds as 'local derbies' - so each team plays their nearest neighbour for round one - down to 16 sides - and next nearest for round two - down to 8 sides with no massive travel costs.
That leaves quarter finals, semi finals and the final game - or 7 games - where sides may have to travel, and the worst case for any single club would be that they would have to travel 3 times if they were unlucky enough to be the away side for all three finals games.

You're forgetting that this is a purely amatuer game over here right now. Even one trip to another country would cost a club upwards of $10k for flights & accommodation. Where do you expect this money to come from? The players own pockets? It's not like they're pulling in big sponsorship deals, gate money etc. Maybe when there's a semi-pro game established it might be possible, but right now there just isn't the financing available for that many teams to travel, even if it is only in the last few rounds.

gyallop

Juniors
Evil Homer , you have confused me when you say most sports are democratic and have appointed commissioners?? This is the actual antithesis of democracy and is the reason why the ancient Greeks developed what we now understand democracy to be.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Evil Homer , you have confused me when you say most sports are democratic and have appointed commissioners?? This is the actual antithesis of democracy and is the reason why the ancient Greeks developed what we now understand democracy to be.
No, the antithesis of democracy is dictatorship, which is the nature of the AMNRL. In a democratic organization commissoners may not always neccessarily be selected by a vote (although they usually are), but they are always appointed through a fair process, and there is a process for their removal if the majority are unhappy with their leadership. Nobody has appointed the AMNRL administrators, and nobody advocates them staying in power other than themselves. They are a dictatorial administration. I'm not sure why you felt the need to ignore my other points and nit-pick the use of language because I said as much in my original post.

gyallop

Juniors
I wasnt nit picking I was trying to understand exactly what you meant by appointed officials being a democratic process. It simply isnt and can never be.

I made some enquiries with some start up nations. The RLIF does actually have a "membership" system and they are aware of the process but unfortunately the RLIF dont seem to have bothered to inform the public.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I wasnt nit picking I was trying to understand exactly what you meant by appointed officials being a democratic process. It simply isnt and can never be.
Yes it can, not all democratic systems need to be a direct democracy, in fact virtually none are. I'm not sure why you are persisting with this when it's completely irrelevant to the issues at hand and I made it quite clear what I meant.
I made some enquiries with some start up nations. The RLIF does actually have a "membership" system and they are aware of the process but unfortunately the RLIF dont seem to have bothered to inform the public.
Which 'start up nations' did you consult with? Did they divulge any details about this membership system? If the RLIF do have a membership scheme, it seems strange that they haven't accepted any new members for over 10 years given the massive explosion of international RL in that time, and nor have they lost any members despite the fact that several have gone through major power disputes or board reshuffles. It also seems strange that the USA are not listed as a 'member nation' on the RLIF website despite the insistence by yourself and others that the AMNRL is a recognized body.

gyallop

Juniors
if it was clear I wouldnt have asked, china shares the same view of you on democracy so I guess it is a matter of interpretation so we will agree to disagree.
The USA is ranked no. 11 in the world by the RLIF so they are obviously recognised and the AMNRL is the recognised governing body. The USA isnt a member but that doesnt mean they arent recognised , it just means they arent a member. The RLIF had a system from associate to affiliate to full member.
I think the RLIF is ANZAC/BRIT focussed and does little to help the emerging nations but other than the RLWC I guess it relies on the big 3 for cash which just continues the cycle.

Evil Homer

Staff member
if it was clear I wouldnt have asked, china shares the same view of you on democracy so I guess it is a matter of interpretation so we will agree to disagree.
The USA is ranked no. 11 in the world by the RLIF so they are obviously recognised and the AMNRL is the recognised governing body. The USA isnt a member but that doesnt mean they arent recognised , it just means they arent a member. The RLIF had a system from associate to affiliate to full member.
I think the RLIF is ANZAC/BRIT focussed and does little to help the emerging nations but other than the RLWC I guess it relies on the big 3 for cash which just continues the cycle.
Where does it state that the AMNRL is an officially recognised governing body? How can they be if they aren't RLIF members?

Rampart66

Juniors
This is the criteria to be a full member in the RLEF. The Observer and Affiliate status have less strict criteria, but Full Membership really isn't much of a stretch for the US.

I wonder if the the AMNRL has ever applied for membership?

To achieve this status a Member should:

Have a current approved constitution lodged with the RLEF which shows detailed evidence of governance, membership, elections, meetings and arrangements for dissolution

Complete and submit to the RLEF annual accounts for at least 12 months prior to application

Publish and lodge with the RLEF annual reports for at least two years prior to approval

Be able to demonstrate the financial stability of the organisation

Operate with a bank account in the name of the Federation with at least two signatories on the account. The two signatories must be drawn from the currently elected Board (EG Chair, Treasurer, Vice Chair)

Operationally, conduct regular Rugby League Competitions within the country – Competition is defined as a league competition played under International Laws of Rugby League over a minimum of a 10 week period. In addition:

(a) Minimum 8 senior teams
(b) Minimum 4 reserve/U21/Student grade teams
(c) At least 500 registered participants (players, coaches and match officials)
(d) A registered office and admin
(e) At least a 6 team Junior RL and/or School (Under 18) competition
(f) Coach Education Scheme approved by the RLEF
(g) Referees Accreditation Scheme approved by the RLEF
(h) Approved international programme at various levels which must include full international and may in addition include “A” International, Student International, Junior (Under 18) International. All at male or female

Members may be able to source revenue from the above activity by way of fees.

This can be extended to include registration fees, sponsorship, government grants, gate and canteen receipts and RLEF grants where applicable.

An approved Development Plan, correctly resourced with annual reports lodged with the RLEF

joshreading

Staff member
I actually believe with the work of Rhode Island with their schools RL and Jax with their minor League reserves, the USARL would actually be in a better place to get Full membership.

Latest posts