What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2017 TV RATINGS!

Perth Red

Post Whore
You have to remember he inherited a basket case from gallop. I'm sure he had plenty of faults and I was desperately disappointed he didn't make expansion a priority but he did plenty of infrastructure work to get the nrl into something Looking like a $300mill business. For starters he actually produced a proper annual report for the first time in decades!

Re the Richardson thing, I take those salary figures with a very big pinch of news ltd salt, we'll never really know what proposal Richardson came up with and how it got manipulated as it got buried by Greenburg. Might have been a radical rethink on all levels of the game, might have been a crock of sht, who knows? He certainly started out saying the right things so does make you wonder!

Re the fta deal, my understanding is fox paid nine. Nine still paid nrl the $925mill and recouped some of that cost from fox by selling them the Saturday night game and the fta coverage for simucast. NRL stil got its money. Just the fans missed out on the fourth fta game and grant allowed fox and Telstra to get away with a cheap deal.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Nine had pre arranged agreements in the contract with Smith to reduce their payment based on allowing Fox to simulcast the games and for on selling the Sat night game back to Fox....
Nine never paid this part of the deal.... Fox did....

Nine may have outsmarted themselves on the simulcast part as this only works out about $15 mil a year savings - the ratings hit they have suffered makes this look like a bad deal....

The Sat night FTA arrangement I have always been critical of....

Nine were able to control this - I have always said that if they didn't want to broadcast this game then it should have reverted back to the NRL and perhaps then sold to another FTA channel.

Nine didn't want this and you could say that the whole exercise was a cynical strategy to make sure that was never going to happen...it was probably Gyngels plan all along to sell this back to Fox and shut out 7 & 10.

In regards to Smith- I think we will agree to disagree..

taipan

Referee
But ,but, Gallop secured a record $500m over 6 years a few years ago.An Aus record according to him.A few "moments" later the fumblers got $780m over 5years.

And we wonder why the code has little loot in the Bank.
Smith paid out huge sums for head office experts, and what did the code get in return?I'm still trying to find out.
The only one worthy is Nick Weekes head of Integrity.

Smith was a smart Banker no argument from me, but negotiating with one other buyer a huge media empire run by a powerful individual, is a whole new ball game.And one thing he never got used to ,was getting News offside,such that the Telecrap was forever rubbishing him, by their lapdogs,Roger Red Cheeks,Peter Cannot,Josh Mascara,and Bourbon Bec.

Most thought the ch9 deal ATT was a smart move.The money we got in the end from the TV deal, suggested otherwise.
Blame Smith,blame Grant,you can't blame Gould this time LOL.

T-Boon

Coach
Of course the games internal expenditure rose, bloody hell under Gallop the game was "run" on a shoestring.to the benefit of News Ltd.

This is what makes me laugh.
In the same time frame that clubs have whinged about the NRL "admin" expenditure increases the club football department expenditure has inflated through the roof. From $4 mill in 2009 to $15mil in 2016.
And to the benefit of nobody except people like Gould (what the hell does he do in his role except think of new shiny things Penrith can waste its money on) and the wrestle coaches.
At least the NRL expenditure can be linked to trying to grow the game.

Billythekid

First Grade
Being reminded of figures like that makes me annoyed that we still supposedly can't afford to expand. We've went from 500 million over 6 years to more like 2 billion+ over 5 years. Our membership numbers now dwarf what they were back then. Ratings are way higher and I dare say sponsorship money is as well.

So how the f**k are we still having the same conversations about how much the NRL and the clubs are struggling financially and how expansion isn't feasible?

taipan

Referee
Being reminded of figures like that makes me annoyed that we still supposedly can't afford to expand. We've went from 500 million over 6 years to more like 2 billion+ over 5 years. Our membership numbers now dwarf what they were back then. Ratings are way higher and I dare say sponsorship money is as well.

So how the f**k are we still having the same conversations about how much the NRL and the clubs are struggling financially and how expansion isn't feasible?

Two words come to mind: Incompetence and greed.

Billythekid

First Grade
Two words come to mind: Incompetence and greed.

There can be no doubt about it. Our TV deal is now worth more than 4 times what it was 10 years ago and revenue in other areas has also went up significantly.

I don't expect expansion overnight and I understand the risks. It's just frustrating hearing the same shit we heard from Gallop 10 years ago.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I think you'll find the clubs have a big say in things and the drain on income. Also the game has had to rebuild and fund areas that Gallop did nothing about.

Expansion will come I have no doubt in the next 5 years, Perth being obvious.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Grant and Greenburg have ruled out NRL expansion - even when the next TV deal starts in 2023...

Their plan is to expand the State comps instead..

tri_colours

Juniors
I would like to see 10 get a future Sunday night spot at 6pm EST which could be the slot for the Ninth game...

In respect of the last TV deal, Fox seemed to get everything they wanted:

- exclusive Super Saturday
- Ridiculous crowd unfriendly Friday 6pm time slot
- Simulcast all games...
- paid way under compared to AFL...

NRL negotiators must have been amateurs ...
As much as I don't like Fox, They did pay$1 billion , gave up the Monday night timeslot and gave us our own channel.

DiegoNT

First Grade
It's amazing that when they do the ratings they try sneak in the 'metro' ratings which ignore places like Canberra, Wollongong, newcastle, the gold coast, cairns and Townsville

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's amazing that when they do the ratings they try sneak in the 'metro' ratings which ignore places like Canberra, Wollongong, newcastle, the gold coast, cairns and Townsville

There must be a reason the industry and media focus is on metro rather than consolidated but can't figure it myself? The nrl tv ratings would be screwed without the nsw regional viewers, thank god for country nsw and us not having to rely on Sydney!