What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL 2017 TV RATINGS!

Billythekid

First Grade
Ratings so far are hardly disastrous but they're not particularly good either. Considering we've been bent over a barrel and accepted Thursday night games and Friday arvo games it makes it clear that the NRL have made a clear mistake.

It's easy to justify sh*t time slots when ratings are great but when they're stagnant or down it raises questions about the NRL decision making.

308K for the QLD derby (1187 Mill in total )
225K for the NZ game

Good ratings for the NZ game on fox, I'm guessing they're not the biggest drawing team in Australia. The storm tend to draw well on fox. Those ratings deinfitely don't justify a 6pm Friday game. Could easily get similar numbers Sunday evening.

Really good numbers for the QLD game on fox IMO. Even for matches that aren't on FTA those are decent numbers. Cowboys are a huge draw on fox.

indeed

all clubs should immediately convert to AFL rather than fold though

The hyperbole on both sides is equally idiotic. There is a large area between the game being in the verge of folding and everything being totally perfect.

BlueandGold

Juniors
NRL 2016 Round 2 NRL2017

Thursday, March 10
Panthers vs. Bulldogs Pepper Stadium 8:05pm
Fox Sports 193,000
Nine 747,000 / 940k

Thu TV #NRL #NRLRoostersBulldogs #Nine/#9Gem 637k (Metro 385k Regional 252k) #FoxSports 230k 867k

Friday, March 11
Broncos vs. Warriors Suncorp Stadium 8:05pm
Fox Sports 233,000
Nine 805,000 / 1.038m

Fri TV #NRL #NRLBroncosCowboys #WWOS Metro Nine 471k (Syd 210k Bri 261k) #9Gem 51k (Mel 30k Ade 12k Per 9k) Regional 357k Fri STV #NRL #FoxLeague 308k 1.187m

Saturday, March 12
Raiders vs. Roosters GIO Stadium 3:00pm
Fox Sports 209,000

Sat STV #NRL #FoxLeague #NRLKnightsTitans 208k

Rabbitohs vs. Knights ANZ Stadium 5:30pm
Fox Sports 269,000

Sat STV #NRL #FoxLeague #NRLManlySouths 266k

Eels vs. Cowboys Pirtek Stadium 7:30pm
Fox Sports 328,000

Sat STV #NRL #FoxLeague #NRLRaidersSharks 321k

Sunday, March 13
Sharks vs. Dragons Shark Park 4:00pm
Fox Sports 232,000
Nine 631,000 / 863k

Storm vs. Titans AAMI Park 6:30pm
Fox Sports 214,000

Monday, March 14
Tigers vs. Sea Eagles Leichhardt Oval 7:00pm
Fox Sports 263,000

Fri STV #NRL #FoxLeague #NRLWarriorsStorm 225k

ROUND 2 TOTAL 4.124m

Believe it or not the sky is not falling in.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Go missing? About what? NRL has always rated well on tv, if destroying attendances for a few more thousand on tv is a good strategy or not is very debatebul.

We rate better than super15, aleague and afl pre season? Stop the press!

Diesel

Referee
Anyone know how many units of the digital pass were sold?

I realise Telstra offer it free for their mobile users however there must be a way to know how many are watching on devices via the digital pass. These will be used as "eyes on the screens" in future viewer numbers

AJB1102

First Grade
Its fun to rag shit on Perth Red sometimes and he is a whinging mug who has a strong dislike for my team, the filthy unwashed Pom.

BUT.. He's right. The NRL almost wouldn't care if no one attended games if the TV dollars were right. The people in charge of the game now are very short sighted and chase the easiest buck.

Crowds look shit, fair enough. But the ratings aren't making up for it either. Out rating soccer/AFLW/Union is good for a chuckle but nothing to hang our hats on.

NRL from what I understand are pretty stuck on scheduling till next year so that makes it hard to judge. Will be very interested to see how they schedule things next season and hope it includes some fan consideration.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would love to see what a 1 or 2 game Friday (using nz more for earlier game) 3 or 4 games Saturday with red dot choice at same time and 3 games Sunday, as mentioned some with red dot simulcast on fox would do for crowds and what impact on viewing figures. For fox it doesn't matter if 250k fans are watching across two games at same time, it's all about subscriptions.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Would love to see what a 1 or 2 game Friday (using nz more for earlier game) 3 or 4 games Saturday with red dot choice at same time and 3 games Sunday, as mentioned some with red dot simulcast on fox would do for crowds and what impact on viewing figures. For fox it doesn't matter if 250k fans are watching across two games at same time, it's all about subscriptions.

I agree, I don't see the necessity to have every game shown live back to back and I think that is the one of the main issues preventing growth in attendance.

T-Boon

Coach
For fox it doesn't matter if 250k fans are watching across two games at same time, it's all about subscriptions.

Its a good point you make overall but on this point I think Fox make a lot more from ads than they let on. They have pop up ads for Maccas, Bunnings and several others all arvo. They must make a small fortune from Bundy Rum.

DC_fan

Coach
Its fun to rag shit on Perth Red sometimes and he is a whinging mug who has a strong dislike for my team, the filthy unwashed Pom.

BUT.. He's right. The NRL almost wouldn't care if no one attended games if the TV dollars were right. The people in charge of the game now are very short sighted and chase the easiest buck.

Crowds look shit, fair enough. But the ratings aren't making up for it either. Out rating soccer/AFLW/Union is good for a chuckle but nothing to hang our hats on.

NRL from what I understand are pretty stuck on scheduling till next year so that makes it hard to judge. Will be very interested to see how they schedule things next season and hope it includes some fan consideration.

The question here is, if people lose interest in attending games do they eventually lose interest in watching it on TV?

Latest posts