What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion. Ideas and opinions.

Who would you admit as the next team into the NRL?

• Perth

Votes: 75 57.7%
  • PNG

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Wellington/2nd NZ team

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Darwin

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Fiji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Central Queensland/4th Queensland team

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Samoa

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please specify)/No Expansion

Votes: 12 9.2%

• Total voters
I think the NRL absolutely needs Perth.

We need to expand the pool of players we're drawing from.

That's why Perth, PNG and the Pacific Islands need to be the focus for growth.

Another NSW or QLD team would just be thinning out the current stocks.

The Bears combining with the current West Coast Pirates bids is a no brainer.

Money, new talent pool and a walk up supporter base (Bears fans) means there's no downside to bringing them on board.

If the PNG government is willing to finance a team for tourism purposes, the same goes for them too. They could train out of Cairns (less than 2 hour flight from Port Moresby) if guys have issues with moving to PNG.

A South Pacific team based out of Auckland (owned by the Richard Fale bid) could draw from Fiji/Samoa/Tonga.

That's three financially viable options that wouldn't be drawing from the current player pool

I’m leaning more towards the idea of moving the Gold Coast licence to Brisbane. To me Brisbane must have 2 teams playing out of Suncorp, it’s too good a venue to ignore and the Brisbane market is too big for only one team.

Allows for 2 expansion teams in totally new markets.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Name the two new teams this year. Get them in their respective second tier comps in 2020. Admit them to NRL in 2022.

Pretty sure the NRL wouldn't have had the smarts to keep a ninth game out of the TV deal so they could produce it themselves online or sell it to a third party so we have what we've got until at least 2022 as NRL doesn't have the cash it wants to spend bringing two teams in with no extra media revenue for the extra game.

Diesel

Referee
I heard on the radio today, but didn’t quite catch it, after playing Beattie’s “Cronulla? Cronulla? Who the f**k is Cronulla” comment last night they made a reference to five new teams (not bids, teams) wanting to enter the competition.

Did anyone catch this interview on 100% footy on 9 last night and can elaborate?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bombers
WC Pirates
Perth Sage/Elias
The anywhere Bears
CQ
Cairns/PNG
Wellington
Brisbane SW Corridor

but to name a few that have been mentioned over the years.

Perfect world scenario for me would be this

Sydney team to Perth

Barring that,

Gold Coast to Brisbane (if the Titans fail financially again)

Then expansion to either Perth or Brisbane (depending on what team you can get to move) & New Zealand 2.

Just a question of how you get a Sydney team to Perth. It’ll need a massive monetary incentive I’d presume.

Diesel

Referee
$8m is what they were offering Sydney clubs to move to Central Coast about 10 years ago

$8m is what they were offering Sydney clubs to move to Central Coast about 10 years ago

$8m isn’t much in the game anymore.

I reckon you could be looking at $25m+ to get a team to move.

But if there’s a team who needs financial assistance they should force a move.

Diesel

Referee
Giving NZ a second team and any potential United PI nations a team (based in NZ) is going to have a massive affect on RU in NZ. Crowds are well down for Super Rugby and Warriors merchindise sells well

Diesel

Referee
$8m isn’t much in the game anymore.

I reckon you could be looking at $25m+ to get a team to move.

But if there’s a team who needs financial assistance they should force a move.
10 years ago it a a bit of coin, now it’ll pay for nothing more than a feasibility study.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Perth Pirates need to come in ASAP. 17 teams is fine.

Perth and Brisbane will be relatively stable from day one and it gives the NRL an extra time-slot and match to sell so they could quite possibly happen together. The Bombers and Pirates are the two strongest current bids.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Perth and Brisbane will be relatively stable from day one and it gives the NRL an extra time-slot and match to sell so they could quite possibly happen together. The Bombers and Pirates are the two strongest current bids.
Given the. AFL Bombers are the second biggest sporting club in the land, Brisbane Bombers is an idiotic choice. What is their point of difference - why would RL fans switch to them?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Given the. AFL Bombers are the second biggest sporting club in the land, Brisbane Bombers is an idiotic choice. What is their point of difference - why would RL fans switch to them?

I don't like the Bombers at all either. I just used them as the example as they seem to be the leading Brisbane bid. The Bombers are plastic and don't offer a point of difference from the Broncos. My signature makes my opinion clear on the Brisbane 2 issue.

I don't like the Bombers at all either. I just used them as the example as they seem to be the leading Brisbane bid. The Bombers are plastic and don't offer a point of difference from the Broncos. My signature makes my opinion clear on the Brisbane 2 issue.

Yeah I do like the idea of a point of difference to the bronocos, but ultimately the game will need to go with the most viable bid.

Is anyone serious proposing the member based club?

mistertaylor

Juniors
The NRL should have a closer look at doing whatever they can to convince an existing Sydney team to relocate to either Perth, Central Coast, or NZ (Wellington).

I read a comment earlier in this thread about them having previously offered an $8M incentive. To me, the carrot needs to be bigger. Here's what i think they should offer.

1) Salary cap concessions for first 4 years: the NRL would want a relocated team to be an immediate onfield success, so an inflated salary cap would allow them to pay overs to attract 2-3 blue chip players.

2) Offer preferred timeslots for 75% of home games in the first 2 years: this would give a relocated club the advantage of scheduling majority of its home games in timeslots of their choosing, i.e. they might opt for family friendly timeslots (eg Sunday 2pm) or one of the FTA slots to maximise exposure for their sponsors.

3) Guaranteed franchise licence for 20 years: conditional on the team remaining in its new location, bit provides security for the team and givws it confidence to invest in long term infrastructure, facilities, development programs, player academies, etc.

4) Guaranteed home and away "heritage" or "derby" fixtures versus 2 rivals of their choice, for the first 8 years: my reasoning is that if, for example, Roosters were to relocate to Perth. They could lock in 2 derby matches vs Rabbitohs every year, with both games to be played at Allianz. This would help keep the traditional supporters happy, and maintain links to the past. Other examples could be NZ Bulldogs v Eels @ Belmore, or Central Coast Sharks v Dragons @ Shark Park.

Separate to all of the above, I also believe that Brisbane / SEQ needs and deserves another team, but not a relocated Sydney team.

MT

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yeah I do like the idea of a point of difference to the bronocos, but ultimately the game will need to go with the most viable bid.

Is anyone serious proposing the member based club?

Probably just Redliffe and Ipswich from Q Cup but I don't think they've launched an official bid yet, just talk. There were also whispers of Brisbane Brothers. But no, no serious member based club bids yet.

King hit

Coach
There was an article in the courier mail today suggesting that if the Titans don’t deliver a profit by 2023 they should be relocated to Brisbane and become the 2nd Brisbane club.

Latest posts