What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL mismanagement?

T-Boon

Coach
Are you happy with the results?

Record revenue but NRL reporting three losses in a row...

Crowds going nowhere... Participation down...

They keep having to bail clubs out who can't not spend too much money. Everything the NRL has achieved in the last 5 years has been done behind the clubs backs because the clubs wouldn't allow it.

taipan

Referee
It proves how Sydney-centric and NRL centric the entire sport is. If and when that can change we might end up with a sport that can begin to head towards its potential. But it will probably never happen.

This admin's sole focus has been stripping autonomy, power and money away from every other governing body in the game in an effort to totally control the sport and inflict it with its ridiculous agenda. And it still has to bend over for the (mostly Sydney) clubs.

But Grant is a Queenslander,and he gets the support from the Qld mob, which prevents him being flicked.Have a chat with those guys first.

taipan

Referee
Where has some of the money gone?
$6.5m owed by the Dragons.
A few million by the Tigers,not sure of the amount.
How long has the NRL owned the Titans and Knights, and how much per annum think it's well over $10m pa to keep them sustainable?
Millions wasted by Smith (and I was a supporter of his)at NRL admin level, by the high flyers who did stuff all for a couple of years.
$3/4m wasted on the SFS construction investigation.
Support? Isn't it an "independent" commission?

Giving clubs cash that doesn't exist has prevented his demise so far.

He was under the pump last year,end the clubs could not get the numbers to flick him, because partly due to Qld support.

Of course it's supposed to be Independent,and it's also supposed to be professional.Judging by Grant's backtracking ,his efforts have hardly been professional.

It's fairly obvious whilst he is still chairman,the game will continue to be an unruly mess.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I actually don't mind clubs getting an avg of $13mill grant over next 5 years, that is around 40% of nrl's revenue which seems about fair. But it has to come with kpi's of performance across a range of areas.

What I'm more concerned about is what is the nrl spending the rest on? Like I said they have spent, or plan to, all the money put away form last tv deal, they have run two years of significant losses and are now talking about having to take out loans to balance the books next year. With revenue going from $181mill to an estemated $550mill in 6 years its staggering that the game is in financial stress.

I have generally been a supporter of the commission despite its failure to meet any of its Key strategic plan kpi's but to see both performance failure and financial failure is too much. No wonder some of them have jumped ship.

Billythekid

First Grade
So crowds are down, ratings are down, the NRL is losing money and expansion looks like a pipe dream. Considering how much extra revenue is coming into the game now it boggles the mind how we're in this position.

We got f**ked over big time on our TV deals whilst under Gallop but really it feels like we're barely better off now (despite Gallop essentially deliberately holding us back).

beave

Coach
How much is Newy, GC, Balmain, Dragons costing the NRL in extra $$$ every year?

It still blows my mind Newy has been in financial dire straits for a long time now, such a strong league area and they still can't get their shit in a pile. This is not a shot at knights fans either, they're pretty much the only reason the club still exists at the moment.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
First off, this current issue has arisen due to a leak again from the clubs. They were told to keep things confidential about Rlpa salary cap negotiations. But that is beyond the clubs ability. Now Grant wasn't even at the meeting with the clubs but his job is now in jepody?...please...

The commission was developed with a few glitches I believe. The nswrl isn't independent, it's run by Sydney club ceos. The sooner expansion gets the go ahead the less Sydney clubs have a say. Let's not forget Grants position was voted on by all the commissioners (highly regarded business men and women). Yet reporters or keyboard warriors are telling you that Grant needs to go?

If Revenue was $500 mil and club grants were $208 mil.

$292 mil left.

Approximate 2017 annual budget

Events and sponsorship $75 mil
Admin $25 mil
Football $25 mil
Community and player welfare $15 mil
•Grassroots $100 mil
•media/digital costs $50 mil
Development $30 mil
State leagues and affiliates $30 mil

Adds up to $350 mil. Yeah believe the clubs. The Nrl has heaps of money.

The Nrl have been telling everyone that will listen that they will have no money left but clubs/players keep putting there hand out. It has to stop!

The players have said they aren't after the money but then want a $10mil cap?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
But Grant is a Queenslander,and he gets the support from the Qld mob, which prevents him being flicked.Have a chat with those guys first.

So because he is a qlder, you believe he is biased? A Sydney CEO wouldn't potentially show the same bias towards Nsw?

Maybe the Sydney clubs need to grow up, stop having there little Sydney coffee dates and stop trying to strong arm other nrl clubs and just focus on there own ever shrinking bank balance.

taipan

Referee
So crowds are down, ratings are down, the NRL is losing money and expansion looks like a pipe dream. Considering how much extra revenue is coming into the game now it boggles the mind how we're in this position.

We got f**ked over big time on our TV deals whilst under Gallop but really it feels like we're barely better off now (despite Gallop essentially deliberately holding us back).

Therein lies half the problem,shagged by previous Tv deals, which ended up giving us zilch in the long run.
Think you Gallop,thank you News Ltd,thnak you ballboys.
The chances of us getting a bigger TV deal next time, are about zot.No wonder the NRL is pushing for their own digital division.

taipan

Referee
So because he is a qlder, you believe he is biased? A Sydney CEO wouldn't potentially show the same bias towards Nsw?

Maybe the Sydney clubs need to grow up, stop having there little Sydney coffee dates and stop trying to strong arm other nrl clubs and just focus on there own ever shrinking bank balance.

No .I believe the Qld people who are involved in voting of the board ,would be toward Grant.That's why the Sydney clubs knew he had the numbers last time.
BTW I don't agree with the strong arm tactics of the Bulldogs and Roosters Chairmen>They have too much power.

taipan

Referee
First off, this current issue has arisen due to a leak again from the clubs. They were told to keep things confidential about Rlpa salary cap negotiations. But that is beyond the clubs ability. Now Grant wasn't even at the meeting with the clubs but his job is now in jepody?...please...

The commission was developed with a few glitches I believe. The nswrl isn't independent, it's run by Sydney club ceos. The sooner expansion gets the go ahead the less Sydney clubs have a say. Let's not forget Grants position was voted on by all the commissioners (highly regarded business men and women). Yet reporters or keyboard warriors are telling you that Grant needs to go?

If Revenue was $500 mil and club grants were $208 mil.

$292 mil left.

Approximate 2017 annual budget

Events and sponsorship $75 mil
Admin $25 mil
Football $25 mil
Community and player welfare $15 mil
•Grassroots $100 mil
•media/digital costs $50 mil
Development $30 mil
State leagues and affiliates $30 mil

Adds up to $350 mil. Yeah believe the clubs. The Nrl has heaps of money.

The Nrl have been telling everyone that will listen that they will have no money left but clubs/players keep putting there hand out. It has to stop!

The players have said they aren't after the money but then want a $10mil cap?

That's fine and that's also been my argument,but what about the costs involved with Titans and Knights owned by the NR is that the $25m.How much has been shelled out for them? We know Dragons is $6.5m and Tigers a few mil.

I always laugh when a union or individual says it's not about the money.Employment is about money.
Think PR should read that, and inwardly digest it.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
That's fine and that's also been my argument,but what about the costs involved with Titans and Knights owned by the NR is that the $25m.How much has been shelled out for them? We know Dragons is $6.5m and Tigers a few mil.

I always laugh when a union or individual says it's not about the money.Employment is about money.
Think PR should read that, and inwardly digest it.

I would assume the cost of titans, knights, dragons and tigers are all rolled into one of those sub group figures. Not sure which one though, I'd only be guessing.

It irks me no end that, anytime something leaks, it's from a club. The single handidly biggest issue facing the nrl is the undermining, self interested clubs that continuely leak to the media to use as leverage to help there own individual agenda. It's incredible.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Are these figures profit or revenue?

Profit.. things like selling the front of your jersey for $1m a season , has very little actual cost ..

Season tickets might generate $2m but don't cost a lot to provide .. your already paying the players

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
No .I believe the Qld people who are involved in voting of the board ,would be toward Grant.That's why the Sydney clubs knew he had the numbers last time.
BTW I don't agree with the strong arm tactics of the Bulldogs and Roosters Chairmen>They have too much power.

The only reason he had the numbers last time was because the nrl had the qrl and the nrl owned clubs. Everyone else was against him, But after negotiations when the count happened, the clubs didn't have the numbers so some clubs (probably qld clubs) pulled there vote against. The nsw clubs shouldnt be ganging up on anyone. They should all Make up there own mind. It's not about ganging up at all. It's about promoting the sport rugby league.

BuffaloRules

Coach
They keep having to bail clubs out who can't not spend too much money. Everything the NRL has achieved in the last 5 years has been done behind the clubs backs because the clubs wouldn't allow it.

This is minor money in terms of the total spend -$25 mil or so..

You can't bail from Newcastle and Gold Coast though...or would you prefer giving up on these areas?

Why aren't the Dragons paying back their loan? They owe about $7mil...

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach

It seems a case of the NRL having the extra money and thinking they need to spend it..

Gallop ran the place on the smell of an oily rag... He had too..

Last edited:

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
It seems a case of the NRL having the extra money and thinking they need to spend it..

Gallop ran the place on the smell of an oily rag... He had too..

It doesn't seem like that at all. From nearly the moment the tv deal was announanced the nrl was already forecasting it for grassroots and media. The amount was the only issue depending on the club grants and players salary cap.

Gallop did run it cheaply, the grants to clubs were also 50% of the salary cap too. Yet the clubs are worse of today than 15 yrs ago.