What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRl Response

Perth Red

Post Whore
A few weeks ago I sent an email to the NRL after I was sick of hearing Gallop talk about Perth not being ready for a team and giving no answers as to what the NRL where going to do about getting it ready. Here is a belated reply. Better late than never I suppose!

We appreciate the work the WARL is doing in Western Australia and realise the potential this market may have in the future.
At this stage, however, we have just expanded the game into the Gold Coast and are still building the strength of the Storm in Melbourne.
Further expansion is on the horizon but it must be done at a time when the game can be sustained.
We continue to build the base of the game in markets such as WA and Adelaide, as was done in the Gold Coast, so that when the time comes for expansion it will be viable for the game.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Kind regards,

Caroline Blake
Information Services Officer

Smithtown

Coach
NRL 'patter'

Here is a better direct quote from David Gallop about an NRL Team in Perth

"Calls to put teams into Perth & Adelaide are misconceived"

A very interesting interview between Phil Gould & Gallop

http://www.rugbyleaguelive.com/MultiMediaPopup.aspx?Keyword=&MediaID=1020

Perth is not on the NRL's radar, and if we want an NRL team we would need to form a partnership with an existing Sydney team and hope to drag them over here for a few games a year.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
A few weeks ago I sent an email to the NRL after I was sick of hearing Gallop talk about Perth not being ready for a team and giving no answers as to what the NRL where going to do about getting it ready. Here is a belated reply. Better late than never I suppose!

We appreciate the work the WARL is doing in Western Australia and realise the potential this market may have in the future.
At this stage, however, we have just expanded the game into the Gold Coast and are still building the strength of the Storm in Melbourne.
Further expansion is on the horizon but it must be done at a time when the game can be sustained.
We continue to build the base of the game in markets such as WA and Adelaide, as was done in the Gold Coast, so that when the time comes for expansion it will be viable for the game.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Kind regards,

Caroline Blake
Information Services Officer

what have the NRL done lately to help build the base of the game here?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Nothing at all! Gallop has got no idea if Perth could sustain a NRL team and no plan to either test it or if not develop it so we can. Clueless merkins the lot of them. RL gets what it deserves imo.

Nuke

Staff member
The problem is, we -as Rugby League fans and supporters- are the ones who suffer.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
I've just emailed her: carolineb@nrl.com.au

Dear Caroline,

As I am aware that the NRL recently (18 months ago) commissioned the expansion of the code back into the Gold Coast, which was a great decision and the Titans are proving very well, however, there is also a market in the west as well, and with WA being Australia's 'boom' state and where disposable income is higher than other states, why haven't the NRL made any attempt to return the game here?

Is it a political one concerning News Ltd, and the presence of the Western Force rugby union club? Is it apathy or procrastination on the NRL's part?

I've heard stories that the NRL need 'proof' to take the game to WA only when the WA Reds can get 15,000 memberships! How is that possible playing in the 3rd grade Sydney suburban competition, and also when very few Sydney NRL clubs have less than this figure?

Here in WA, we are league starved and get AFL rammed down our throats on a daily basis with fans of that code along with rugby union giving enough mockery that rugby league will never return to WA, where it has a heritage and presence since the late 1940's.

Even bring State of Origin, pre season friendlies or anything to WA in the meantime would be most appreciative, just like back in the early 1990's when the NSWRL took the courage and initiative to begin the drive and plan to plant the old Western Reds.

I do hope to hear from you or CEO David Gallop regarding wht plan the NRL actually have for the WA which is often ignored despite a growing population of over 2 million people.

Kind regards,

Lee ******

Last edited:

Nuke

Staff member
That's the kind of thinking that sh*ts me the most about League people in NSW and QLD (not all, but a fair majority it seems). They not only don't care about getting WA back into the NRL, but they just don't care about WA's progress. I saw the last hour of The Footy Show when I got home, and saw David Gallop dismiss Perth (and Adelaide) and Fatty make that comment.

Very frustrating.

Alehana

Juniors
gahhhh, wasn't gallop on the footy show this week? or was that alst week, did any1 catch him, be interesting to c what he said, btw great letter KR.

b0rt

Juniors
30 years away?
rugby league will be all but dead in perth if the NRL sits on their hands for 30 years
and then it will be too late

nadera78

Juniors
The game in Australia is dominated at all levels by sydney. Unfortunately, they couldn't see further than the blue mountains. Most of them don't even want Queensland teams playing in 'their' competition, as for the rest of the country or even international RL; forget about it. They cannot see that if they have a wider spread of NRL clubs and International oopnents then they would be able to generate much more money and bring in far bigger sponsors.

Sadly, they are content to pick up a few sausages from the local butcher, and then wonder why players go off to earn more money and bigger plaudits by playing an inferior game.

I reckon the only chance Perth has is to find a millionaire backer who will make a big fuss and stamp his feet until the NRL listens.

joondalup_giant

Staff member
gahhhh, wasn't gallop on the footy show this week? or was that alst week, did any1 catch him, be interesting to c what he said, btw great letter KR.

yea he was on this week, he basically said they've got no plans 4 expansion in2 perth. A second brisbane team is on the cards

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
Then why should be support a game thats on the other side of the country and doesn't give a sh*t? If SL still existed alongside the ARL, at least they'd give us a chance.