What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL team out of Darwin

Emu01

Juniors
Has the NRL ever thought about a team from Darwin? I was just thinking about how for the whole northern Australia there is only 1 professional football code team being the North Qld Cowboys.

If they did start a team in Darwin the NRL could lay claim to the whole northern Australia region as the only professional code with teams up there.

Maybe relocate a Sydney team if they happen to fall over financially.. There is a lot of support for Rugby league up north.

gUt

Coach
it's an odd thought that PNG might one day have an NRL team before Darwin/NT. Is there a suitable stadium in Darwin? How hot is it on a typical autumn/winter day?

DiegoNT

First Grade
The whole population of the NT is only slightly more then Townsville- NRLs smallest current market. Darwin and surrounding areas population is about 120k. A QLD Cup team is more realistic.
No suitable stadium for nrl, TIO stadium is the only stadium big enough for NRL and it's an oval.
Weather wise, the nrl comp mostly runs in the dry season, but even in the dry season day time temperatures are 30-35. A long wet season may extend into March and april and would be unsuitable for nrl (heat and monsoonal rain) and an early buildup may sneak into august and September (40 degree heat, 100% humidity, still 30 degree heat at night).
Darwin is way down the list for an nrl team

Last edited:

Marlins

Juniors
I like the idea of a Darwin based team.
I would call them 'Northern Crocs'
And get them to play games in cairns & Alice Speings every year

Perth Red

Post Whore
No population, no stadium, no corporate support
I am pretty sure Darwin isnt on todds priority list either lol

jim_57

Staff member
A Team in QLD Cup, plus Sydney team/s taking 2-3 games a year there should do. A lot of places ahead of Darwin for NRL.

Maybe in 20 years a joint Darwin/PNG NRL team could be an option.