What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL team out of Darwin

grouch

First Grade
Imagine how much fun the NT News would have covering the NRL. Worth giving it a go just for that

Marlins

Juniors
With the news Darwin hosting a QF WC match
I wonder if the NRL is actually planning to do
More with Darwin. Might be a chance the
NRL might include a NT team into the QLD cup. I personally think it would be a great
Idea to Devolp the game there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
NT govt must have bid big to get a QF. Don't be fooled that it has anything to do with NRL expansion strategy, it was about who paid the most.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
With the news Darwin hosting a QF WC match
I wonder if the NRL is actually planning to do
More with Darwin. Might be a chance the
NRL might include a NT team into the QLD cup. I personally think it would be a great
Idea to Devolp the game there.

A team in the QLD Cup is probably the highest RL in the NT can aim this century...

But if PNG can get a team there, and Fiji can get one in the NSW Cup, that seems reasonable...

adamkungl

Immortal
A team in the QLD Cup is probably the highest RL in the NT can aim this century...

But if PNG can get a team there, and Fiji can get one in the NSW Cup, that seems reasonable...

Every major region should be aiming for at least semi-pro representation.

Reactions: siv

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Every major region should be aiming for at least semi-pro representation.

I think they should massively increase the number of Reserve grade teams and brake them into division/conferences to save on travel costs.

Id love to see an Amateur/Semi-Pro Suburban Melbourne Team up against a side from rural NSW/QLD as the State Championship GF curtain raiser...

adamkungl

Immortal
I think they should massively increase the number of Reserve grade teams and brake them into division/conferences to save on travel costs.

Id love to see an Amateur/Semi-Pro Suburban Melbourne Team up against a side from rural NSW/QLD as the State Championship GF curtain raiser...

Yeah i'm not sure what the answer is to the reserve grade problem.

I don't believe it's wipe the slate clean and start fresh ala Platinum League. But we do need wider representation, clearer pathways for expansion regions, and a higher profile competition(s) than what we have now.

Reactions: siv

jim_57

Staff member
Just necromancing this thread, saw elsewhere someone bring up Darwin expansion. It got me thinking, if Darwin & PNG could ever work together to bid for NRL. I know it's a strange match, but both are unlikely to get their own team, but maybe a 6-6 home game split with the team based out of Darwin for security reasons could be workable?

Ideally you'd have a Darwin team in QLD Cup first then they can work with PNG Hunters to lobby for sponsors and stadium infrastructure for an NRL bid.

Obviously it would be behind Perth, Bris2 & NZ2 at least, but after that it could be a contender. It would be something that no other code could pull off IMO.

Eion

First Grade
There will never be a team playing regularly in PNG. The place is genuinely 3rd world and just not up to it in any way.

I'd still support it over Perth though.

jim_57

Staff member
There will never be a team playing regularly in PNG. The place is genuinely 3rd world and just not up to it in any way.

I'd still support it over Perth though.

Even based out of Australia? I get that they wouldn't live over there for those reasons, but why would playing 6 games a year there be impossible?

Marlins

Juniors
I did see somewhere there is talk of a NT based side for the qcup that would be a good start

Eion

First Grade
Even based out of Australia? I get that they wouldn't live over there for those reasons, but why would playing 6 games a year there be impossible?
It's not impossible, but its a hell of a lot of hassle with security and upgrades and the nrl would be terrified of the implications of something happening to players or staff. Moresby is the Wild West.

Just can't see it happening other than the odd exhibition.

MKCS

Juniors
With a Northern Territory team a lot has been brought up already in terms of population, stadiums etc which is valid but also look at the smaller stuff.

- With a large amount of proud Indigenous people living in the Northern Territory and it being a predominantly AFL area you'd need a big Indigenous star to market a team around and turn the tide. In my opinion the only people who could bring that kind of press to the Northern Territory who are also Indigenous would be Greg Inglis or Jonathan Thurston. Can anyone here see either man leaving their respective clubs and moving to Darwin to play for a team that is going to need at least five years to become even slightly competitive? Both JT and Inglis want to win trophies and that isn't really possible in a new team.

- Even if you do land a big star to market the team can you imagine how much you'd have to pay them? There is nothing to do in Darwin and it's nowhere near the East Coast where most of these guys grew up and have families. A player like JT who might pull 1.2 million from the Cowboys would be a 2 million dollar player minimum in a place like Darwin.

- Even if you do land your big star who do you put around them as support players? Places like Canberra, Newcastle and New Zealand struggle and have to pay overs because they're not desirable areas for most players (Except those from there). Can you imagine the overs one would have to pay to get them to relocate to the Northern Territory? A 300,000 a year player would probably become a 500,000-600,000 a year player so a Territory team would mainly sign fringe NRL players, average Super League players, above average NSW Cup/QLD Cup players and old timers who nobody else wants.

- What type of crowd could you expect from a city of about 150,000 with a team that most likely be performing badly due to lack of resources for players? I'd say under 5000 most weeks and with that kind of money coming in there is no option for that club to survive.

Those four points aren't even getting into things like lack of juniors, lack of major sponsorship money, lack of third party agreement and also a coaching staff that most likely won't want to uproot to Northern Territory unless major money was on offer.

Unfortunately it's not viable. Wouldn't mind giving them a NSW Cup or QLD Cup team though. Would give them a minor World Cup game or occasional pre season match as well.